Menu

Did you send Course Descriptions to all schools on your short list?

TeaTotaler

I also included course descriptions, though I have a description for all classes even dual enrollment and online classes. I wanted to give concise answers about how long the class was, what contact with the instructor it had, etc. I tried to be direct and not too long.

Length varied. I fit five math courses on a page but only two history courses (which had longer lists of texts uses).

• Like 2

I sent my daughter's transcript, course descriptions, homeschool profile, reading and textbook lists, and a letter of recommendation (from me) to all the colleges to which my daughter applied.  Since I had put in all the work to create the documents, I decided to send them whether or not they were specifically requested.  I also sent a portfolio of my daughter's work to two colleges which required or recommended that one be sent.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

It really depends on how competitive the schools are.

For example, there is a state school here which required no essay or recommendation letters. My dd will receive the highest merit award they offer based on her GPA/ACT combo. There is no need to send them course descriptions. I sent a one-page transcript and that's that. Dd could basically go there for free. 

On the other hand, dd has talked at length with some admissions counselors at selective schools, and they want to see a lot more. It doesn't matter for merit aid (they give none at most of these schools, just financial aid.) It does matter for admissions, though. They will not risk admission on a mystery student, because they have plenty of others. They want course descriptions, extra recommendation letters, and SAT subject tests to get a complete picture. They form relationships with high schools and use that information to evaluate students from them; they don't have that information for my child.

• Like 3

I sent course descriptions to everyone.  As I mentioned in another thread the items most asked for when dd spoke to admissions counselors (during college tours) were a transcript, course descriptions, and a letter of recommendation from someone other than a parent. These included admissions counselors from state universities, "public ivies", and liberal arts colleges.  

• Like 1

I sent course descriptions.  When older dd applied to schools three years ago, I asked one school if they wanted course descriptions.  They replied, "We'll take anything that shows your student in a positive light!"  So I sent descriptions to all of her choices.  I've done/am doing the same this year for my next child.  I doubt they are read, but they are there!