Menu

Online writing classes

Hi again,

What online writing classes open up for second semester for someone in middle school (my oldest this time, my son, not my daughter). 

One reason I ask is that I apply for him to go to 7th grade and part of the application requires an English teacher's recommendation and a writing class seems like a way to jump through the hoop. But I'd like him to learn a lot, so I do want a meaningful and comprehensive class.

Thanks, Emily

• Like 1

I just had a good experience with a Write at Home class for my 7th grader.   They have semester classes, and 8 week classes that focus on one specific area like descriptive writing.   What I liked about it was the feedback my dd got on her writing.   It's not a teacher teaching a class, it's working on writing projects.

• Like 1

My son would hate Bravewriter. Absolutely hate it. Thanks, though. 

Emily

So, I wondered if you would share why you believe this. Because every time I've looked at Bravewriter materials, I come away *knowing* my kids would hate it. However, I'm strangely attracted to the online classes, only keeping away because of their $$$$$ for such short sessions. So, maybe hearing why your son would hate it would help me stay away from stalking the online class sign-ups?

We liked home2teach.com. . I love the idea of Bravewriter, and Julie Bogart is amazing. We just took one Bravewriter class, but it was not a huge success as my family likes the live classes. Home2 teach was interactive, but not on camera. There is a bit of paperwork to fill out the week before classes. A writing sample is required as well, but they daily revisions were very helpful.

HTH

Editing a year later. I can reccomend the Paragraph class for the experience above. The lower level classes really do not have much if any feedback.

Edited by Silver Brook
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...