Menu

math facts - how long for permanent retention

If you have used an online program to learn math facts (Reflex, Xtra Math, BigBrainz/TimezAttack, etc) after your kids have attained mastery or fluency or completion of an operation according to the program, how long and how frequently do you have them keep doing math facts for that operation before you decide they've got it forever and don't have to do it anymore? Do you think it varies depending on the child's age?

Thanks!

If the program says they have mastered it, I let them stop doing it as long as they are doing their normal math daily. They get a lot of practice just from their main math program. If they aren't doing normal math daily, I'll have them keep doing the fact program a few times a week to keep on top of things. 

For my oldest, I followed up the normal 3 second XTraMath with the 1.5 second XtraMath a year later to cement things, but I don't know that that was necessary.

Emily

Somewhere between a week and eternity. T has finally seemed to learn her math facts, but can't keep up with Reflexes (it goes too fast for her). D had them a year ago, and they are gone again. S learned them in a week and never forgot. I still don't know them (and they laugh at me). 

I would guess it depends on how well it is understood in the first place, how complex the math fact, and how often it's in current use. I member a ton, but have forgotten a lot of my "math facts" from high school and beyond. Dh remembers gobs more as he uses math in his work all the time.