Menu

Please help me find a printer

I would like to find a color inkjet which is both affordable to purchase and use. I am specifically interested in printers that take remanufactured cartridges which are low-priced. I used to have an Epson 880, and I loved it! The print quality was fine for anything I needed, and remanufactured ink cartridges for this model cost about $4. My printer broke, and the model has been discontinued. DH brought home an Epson C120, and a complete set of ink cartridges costs about $60 and doesn't go very far. The printer itself only costs $70!!

I will probably shop for ink cartridges first, then check out the printers. I am wondering what you all are using and what they cost to purchase and maintain.

I have a HP All in One. (Printer, copier, scanner, fax) I have been extremely pleased with it. It goes through ink pretty fast, though, imo. Each cartridge costs about $20. I last replaced both the black and color cartridge in April and need to replace it again. It's been a great machine, though. I've had it about 4 years, I think?

My ink cartridges for my new HP do 2450 black pages on $30 worth of ink - the cheapest out there for OEM cartridges. Cheaper than the laser printer it replaced!

I have the Officejet Pro L7580. The printer was on sale for $199 with a $30 rebate a few months ago.

In consumer reports, they had this one the cheapest to print in B&W and COlor, with the Kodaks the next cheapest per page.

This page on the HP site will help you figure out their rated page counts:

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/us/en/index.html

This printer uses the 88 series cartridges - the XL are the high volume ones.

I just broke my HP2110 printer/copier/scanner which I had for at least 6 years and loved. I'm going to see about getting it fixed. I couldn't find another in the line anywhere--2210, 2410, whatever.

In the meantime, dh needed some copies, so I ended up with the HP photosmart

C7250 which also has a fax. It was under $200 at Sam's Club. It takes a series of cartridges-one black and six colors which can be replaced for $9.50 each (I forget what the black was individually). All the inks were $42, I think, in one package. The box said they use less ink than the old ones. We'll see. It does print gorgeous photos!

One of my very first purchases for preparing to homeschool was the Canon PIXMA MP520. I bought it in April, 2008 and have not been disappointed!

My husband was the Chief Photojournalist for many years at a local newspaper (made a career change 6 months ago) and now just does freelance work on the side so we have a Canon i9900 (cost around $550) for his photography needs - high quality photos, etc. Wanting to save the expensive photo printer and needing a scanner/copier as well, I had my husband help me research for a printer/copier/scanner that was high quality but also durable and long lasting... oh, and priced right. He prefers Canon products. We found the Canon PIXMA MP520 on Amazon for $129.99, but now I see that it is only $109.95. I really like the separate ink cartridges so you're not wasting money replacing a whole ink cartridge set when you only run out of one ink color.

So that printer would be my vote. Here are a few links if your interested...

Apple Store

Amazon

Test Freaks Review of the Canon PIXMA MP520

Have Fun!

Melissa