Menu

Answer key for Perpendicular Press Math 6 book

I am going to get the pdf of the Mathematics 6 book from Perpendicular Press. I would like to know if the pdf version has answer keys inside it or not. The answer key on the website is missing chapters 4 and 5 and I am not sure if the pdf book contains any answer keys at all. I emailed them and I have not heard back from them. TIA!

How long has it been since you emailed them?

It has been almost a week since I emailed them. I will post here if I find out. 

ETA: it seems that the company or the person in charge is no longer running the business actively - I searched my sent items email folder and it seems that I have emailed them a few times over the past year and never received a response - so, I can only assume that they are not monitoring emails actively.

• 2 weeks later...

I can assume now that maybe they are out of business - I emailed them again after my post and never heard back for a few weeks. I have seen reports that a few people tried to buy the pdf online and received no response. So, I will wait to see if anyone recently purchased it and then try to get in touch with them again. 

ETA: I really was hoping to get a hold of it. They should know that they are popular over here and we will be sending business their way ;)

I didn't end up using it because AoPS Prealgebra was published a few weeks later.  I have always liked it, but AoPS is harder and more fun.  If I were using it, there were a couple topics that weren't included that I'd want to add before algebra - I can't remember what they were.  Hey maybe I should try it out with the next ds, maybe this summer; *sigh* so many math books, so little time....

• Like 3

but AoPS is harder and more fun.  

Really??? We are using AOPS and I am glad that you said that. I was looking at the Russian Math 6 book for comparing how much harder and more fun it would be against AOPS. So, it is good to know that you consider AOPS to be more hard and more fun. Thank you.

Unfortunately, I think Perpendicular Press isn't so much a "they" as a "he," the translating author, who sometimes takes extended trips overseas (e.g. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/289639-spin-off-of-a-spin-off-a-google-search-experiment/?p=2903957).

I love it when I see a link to  post I really want to read...and discover it is one of mine :lol:

I'm not sure what happened with Will Harte. He is one guy, teaches school, coaches track, loves math. The business side must not have worked. He supposedly was returning from his studies in Russia with a stack of math textbooks. 

As you said in that thread, "the elephant in the room" was the (then) impending publication of AoPS Prealgebra. It caused me to give up my long search for a hard-cover version of Mathematics 6.

Bill

• Like 1

Did you end up using it? Could you tell us your thoughts?

Hello-

DD did use and complete the Nurk RM 6 text. It had some variation on ways of doing things I liked. It did not give any special math genius to her because it was 'Russian Math'. It took effort to get through that book and by the end marked a transition in her personal efficacy as a maturing student. I have asked DD about this course because her younger brother is now within striking distance DD said with pride "it's a rite of passage". 

After finishing it she took a summer AoPS Intro to Algebra  online class. She passed- with scaffolding from her math minded mom.

Next came a confidence recovery period dipping in and out of other math materials solo style. DD redid Algebra 1 with Derek Owens and currently is finishing up D.O. Algebra 2 and a AoP'S intro C&P class. DD is weighing testing through Foerster's  Alg/trig book with Math Without Borders, or taking the AoPS Intermediate Algebra class or going with Foerster Precalc w/MWB. Tenacity is what Mathematics 6 has given her.

Hey Bill how is it going hope things are treating you well.

Ray

• Like 3

Tenacity is what Mathematics 6 has given her.

Ray, I have been reading a lot of your older posts. Have you seen AOPS's prealgebra book? How do you think it compares with Mathematics 6? I am asking because I already have a lot of curriculum (Dolciani, AOPS and 2 others) and it would be nice to know a little more about this one before I click the buy button :)

Hello-

DD did use and complete the Nurk RM 6 text. It had some variation on ways of doing things I liked. It did not give any special math genius to her because it was 'Russian Math'. It took effort to get through that book and by the end marked a transition in her personal efficacy as a maturing student. I have asked DD about this course because her younger brother is now within striking distance DD said with pride "it's a rite of passage". 

After finishing it she took a summer AoPS Intro to Algebra  online class. She passed- with scaffolding from her math minded mom.

Next came a confidence recovery period dipping in and out of other math materials solo style. DD redid Algebra 1 with Derek Owens and currently is finishing up D.O. Algebra 2 and a AoP'S intro C&P class. DD is weighing testing through Foerster's  Alg/trig book with Math Without Borders, or taking the AoPS Intermediate Algebra class or going with Foerster Precalc w/MWB. Tenacity is what Mathematics 6 has given her.

Hey Bill how is it going hope things are treating you well.

Ray

Hey Ray, been a long time. I hope all is well with you.

My son and I blitzed through AoPS Pre-A this summer. He was accepted into the Math Academy program for Middle School he'd been eyeing for years and is a very happy 6th Grader.

Where does the time go?

Bill

Ray, I have been reading a lot of your older posts. Have you seen AOPS's prealgebra book? How do you think it compares with Mathematics 6? I am asking because I already have a lot of curriculum (Dolciani, AOPS and 2 others) and it would be nice to know a little more about this one before I click the buy button :)

I do cringe about some of my past posts, just so you know. I get what you mean "having a lot of curriculum", the only thing that works for me is- bookshelves.  :laugh:

Right off the top AoPS Pre algebra paper/online book package match the AoPS style. It does not shy away from things like " let x and y be..." or " subtraction is neither commutative nor associative" by which I mean it has a higher maturity level than Mathematics 6.  I would say both have hard problems neither of which go soft nor do they give problems that are solved by just inserting different numbers. Mathematics 6 has more problems than the AoPS book, but with AoPS having the harder problems. Mathematics 6 does not have square roots or exponents while  AoPS Pre Algebra does.The explanations for exponents and radicals can come from an Algebra book, but the wider topic coverage should go to the AoPS title in a comparison.

RM6 has shortcomings yet I think it may be the right one to use for us as DS is a big fan of his sister, and expects his turn at the infamous 'Russian' Math whose reputation DD stirs like cream in coffee. 

• Like 1

I do cringe about some of my past posts, just so you know. I get what you mean "having a lot of curriculum", the only thing that works for me is- bookshelves.  :laugh:

Right off the top AoPS Pre algebra paper/online book package match the AoPS style. It does not shy away from things like " let x and y be..." or " subtraction is neither commutative nor associative" by which I mean it has a higher maturity level than Mathematics 6.  I would say both have hard problems neither of which go soft nor do they give problems that are solved by just inserting different numbers. Mathematics 6 has more problems than the AoPS book, but with AoPS having the harder problems. Mathematics 6 does not have square roots or exponents while  AoPS Pre Algebra does.The explanations for exponents and radicals can come from an Algebra book, but the wider topic coverage should go to the AoPS title in a comparison.

RM6 has shortcomings yet I think it may be the right one to use for us as DS is a big fan of his sister, and expects his turn at the infamous 'Russian' Math whose reputation DD stirs like cream in coffee. 

Thank you very much, Ray. It helps to hear from someone who has BTDT.

Thank you very much, Ray. It helps to hear from someone who has BTDT.

You are welcome. The Mathematics 6 book is more like a regular math book having a mix of expression and word type problems and being fairly terse, whereas the AoPS has more prose in its explanations and working sets. Because of my eagerness and confirmation bias DD got a bad first taste of AoPS by skipping their prealgebra and going straight to AoPS's intro Algebra class. That was our btdt. { I was pushy}
  • Like 1