Menu

Need to correct spelling and punctuation for 3rd grader's free writing?

Sarawarden

I pay great attention to my 8yr old daughter's spelling and punctuation when she is doing Writing with Ease, 1st Language Lessons, and her handwriting work, but do I need to be correcting it in her history, science, geography etc....now in 3rd grade? If not, at what age do I start paying attention to her writing in all subjects? I haven't been doing it thus far because I didn't want her to feel restricted from spelling and punctuation (she's a recovering perfectionist and it hindered her free writing). Thank you!

I pay great attention to my 8yr old daughter's spelling and punctuation when she is doing Writing with Ease, 1st Language Lessons, and her handwriting work, but do I need to be correcting it in her history, science, geography etc....now in 3rd grade? If not, at what age do I start paying attention to her writing in all subjects? I haven't been doing it thus far because I didn't want her to feel restricted from spelling and punctuation (she's a recovering perfectionist and it hindered her free writing). Thank you!

Yes, you need to correct spelling and punctuation in everything that is an Official School Subject. Not when she's free-writing, of course. Those are her own thoughts and she can write them any way she wants to.

• Like 1

If the subject isn't English, I wouldn't focus on it much yet. Instead, I would keep an eye on the types of mistakes she makes and work them into her English time. Have a "word of the day" or "punctuation mark of the day" type of lesson that's short and reviews a concept. Kids this age are often just trying to get their answers on paper, and having to focus on everything at once can be overwhelming. Often they aren't ready to put all of these skills together until closer to junior high age. 

Has she learned how to edit her work in WWE? If not, gradually work on editing skills. When she's good at editing dictations and short writing assignments, then you can start to have her check her work in other subjects.