Menu

Government and Economics Curriculum -

I need suggestions for solid government and economics curriculum.  My ds is starting a school next year that requires him to have those two courses completed by grade 11.  I'd like a textbook/workbook/test type of curriculum for both so that we can show the completed work if necessary.  

Thank you!

Some of these are secular, and some are Christian:

Complete Programs -- Self-Directed

- Gov't & Econ = Alpa-Omega Life Pacs (workbook set) -- Switched on Schoolhouse is the CD rom version plus workbook material that can be printed out

- ACE (Accelerated Christian Education) PACES -- Gov't = 1133-1138 and Econ = 1139-1144 -- CD Roms + workbooks 

- Notgrass = Exploring Economics and Exploring Gov't

- Economics in a Box (books and DVDs program)

Textbooks

- Macgruder's American Government -- set of textbook and workbook

- Great Source: American Government -- textbook and activity book

- Harcourt: American Government -- student textbook and teacher guide -- ETA: FOR GRADES 4-8

If at ALL possible, also consider including involvement in a mock legislative or judicial  program, which is a very fast and effective way of learning government, PLUS the benefits of public speaking, leadership and responsibility, and a SUPER extracurricular for college admissions and scholarships:

Gov't = YMCA Youth In Government (model legislation program) (west of Mississippi =Youth AND Government) 

Gov't = Teen CourtYouth CourtMock Trial (model judicial branch of government)
Gov't = TEEN Pact (government and the political process; Christian)
Politics/Gov't =  Junior State of America (teen events on civics/politics; speakers & discussion sessions)
Politics = National Model United Nations or Model United Nations (mock U.N. session)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some of these are secular, and some are Christian:

Textbooks

- Macgruder's American Government -- set of textbook and workbook

- Great Source: American Government -- textbook and activity book

- Harcourt: American Government -- student textbook and teacher guide

I almost bought the Harcourt:  American Government and noticed these texts are for 4-8th grade.   Just FYI for anyone else - those suggestions are not high school texts.