Menu

Would you help me plot a self-ed course?

I want a degree in physics but I won't have the time for school for possibly up to a decade and although I had a heavy higher math and science load in high school, I have been out of school long enough that I am starting my own re-education back with pre-algebra. My success with writing papers was always all or nothing (as in high grades or incompletes) because either inspiration hit or it didn't and I never developed the relevant skills or truly understood what I was doing so papers always felt like blind and glorious leaps of faith or they failed to fire at all. That has always made writing feel high stress and out of my control and it makes me nervous about eventually entering college or university. Before I begin an official course, I want to feel competent to tackle those required general education courses I watched my husband go through (he did great but I was horrified by all the writing--even thinking about it makes me want to cry).

So, all these things considered, what would you suggest--a general progression and/or specific course recommendations--for my self education in thorough preparation for future university? What would YOU do?

Math, math, and more math.

For your success with physics, math skills are the one crucial prerequisite.

Get the most rigorous conceptual math program you can find - AoPS is golden. It is this type of thinking and problem solving and proving everything that you'll need for a physics degree.

• Like 2

If I had the desire and money, I would consider Bravewriter in order to learn how to write.  I have zero experience with Bravewriter, it is not often spoken of on these boards, but I get the impression of quality. 

FWIW, I have degrees in math, computer studies, and industrial engineering.  I have a long history of avoiding writing.  I don't think I was ever formally taught how to write.  If I ever attempted to learn how to write properly on my own, I would never follow through with it.  It would only work for me if I was accountable to a teacher somewhere.

Good luck!

• Like 1