Menu

States that offer free tuition to residents

moonlight

Wondering which states offer free University tuition to residents? I know Georgia has a program that if you live in the state for 2 years before graduation and maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher, you can attend the State colleges for free?

Any other programs out there like that?

Thanks!

Wondering which states offer free University tuition to residents? I know Georgia has a program that if you live in the state for 2 years before graduation and maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher, you can attend the State colleges for free?

Any other programs out there like that?

Thanks!

Almost, not quite. HOPE pays 100% tuition for students who graduate with a 3.7 HOPE GPA (which is different from your regular GPA)--this is the Zell Miller Award--and a large portion for 3.0--the exact percentage varies by year but is around 75-80%.  Books and fees (which are nearly as much as tuition) are not included, neither is room/board. To maintain the scholarship the student needs to be full time (edit: full-time isn't necessary, but there is a minimum hour requirement) and maintain a college GPA of 3.3 for Zell, 3.0 for regular HOPE. More info at GACollege411.

Besides the GPA requirement there is a "Rigor" requirement wherein the student must take a certain number of advanced courses during high school. This is a recent change so the number will increase from 3 this year to 4 next year and then will remain at 4 for subsequent years.

Homeschoolers have different scholarship requirements based on standardized testing but I don't know the details. You'll need to check the website linked.

• Like 1

Do you mean aside from low income? In Washington State they will cover the gap from Pell if you meet certain conditions.

https://www.washington.edu/huskypromise/

https://admission.wsu.edu/scholarships/washington-residents/cougar-commitment/

Community college:

http://wp.seattlecentral.edu/foundation/promise/

​I do not know of any program in our state  which funds students whose families are making above 250% of the poverty line, or the student is making insufficient academic progress (<3.0) and gets free tuition.

• Like 1

Be careful. Massachusetts enacted a "free tuition" program for students satisfying certain conditions. Turns out that tuition is now a nominal part of the total cost. The state university system has enacted very high fees which are not covered by the program.

GA has done the same thing.

Be careful.  Massachusetts enacted a "free tuition" program for students satisfying certain conditions.  Turns out that tuition is now a nominal part of the total cost.  The state university system has enacted very high fees which are not covered by the program.

Yep, my kids will qualify for "free tuition" here in MA.  Ha, ha, what a joke.  The 'tuition' is $857 But there's well over $10K in "fees" - the largest one being a "curriculum fee" of almost $5K.  What exactly does 'tuition' cover, as pretty much anything I would normally think of as being part of tuition has a separate fee?  I think 'tuition' in MA is a code for 'too bad you scored low on the MCAS, you dummy" fee...

• Like 2

Yep, my kids will qualify for "free tuition" here in MA. Ha, ha, what a joke. The 'tuition' is $857 But there's well over $10K in "fees" - the largest one being a "curriculum fee" of almost $5K. What exactly does 'tuition' cover, as pretty much anything I would normally think of as being part of tuition has a separate fee? I think 'tuition' in MA is a code for 'too bad you scored low on the MCAS, you dummy" fee...

Our fees aren't quite that high in GA, but we do pay about $8k in fees each year.

• Like 1

Our fees aren't quite that high in GA, but we do pay about $8k in fees each year.

When I was just looking this up, I got really confused.  It says on one site that Tuition/Fees for in-state residents is $14,171, which I think is right.  Then if you want to break out what that all entails, it has a separate page that lists tuition as $857, and itemizes other fees coming to less than $7K.  What the heck makes up the other over $6K in costs?  It's not room and board, that's $11K extra on top of the $14K in tutition/fees listed, for a total in-state cost of about $25K.  I can find no information.

Oh, and fun detail - if you get into the honors college, instead of merit aid for being smart, you get hit with an additional $300 fee for the privilege of being accepted into it.

I do think that it needs to be made clear that while some of these free tuition programs remain remarkable deals, free tuition does not translate to "free ride".  Parents and students still need to save for college since fees, books and room/board will add up.

And ouch to Matryoshka.  Several friends who are MA residents found that their students had better deals at private colleges after consideration of the financial aid packages. 

Wow, our local 4 year school is around $7K with tuition and fees for instate residents.  This is for tuition, fees, and possibly would cover some books.  Sounds like our "not free" tuition is cheaper or comparable to some of the "free" tuition options out there.

• Like 4

You can google Bright Futures in Florida. There are many more stipulations than just a certain GPA, as well as percentages of reimbursement.

I had full tuition paid for me by bright futures! :). They have expanded the program to include trade schools, etc. homeschoolers can get it too.

• Like 2

South Carolina has some good scholarships for college students.  The LIFE scholarship and the Palmetto are the ones I hear about the most.  Maybe some of you in SC can explain them, but here is the info:

https://www.che.sc.gov/Students,FamiliesMilitary/PayingForCollege/WhatFinancialHelpIsAvailable/ScholarshipsGrantsforSCResidents.aspx

For anyone in or considering moving to Georgia, the dual enrollment program is excellent, and homeschoolers are eligible.  As of this year, it now covers tuition, most fees, and books (rentals at no cost, but you have to return them.)  Most colleges and technical schools participate in the program, so it is good for students at all different levels.  

Ds is enrolled as a senior, but I'm wishing I could keep him in high school another year.  If we go to Hope next year, it will cost significantly more than this year.  If your child starts in junior year full-time, it could cut college costs in half (though I recommend living close to a college to avoid the dreadful daily commute!)

• Like 1

Wow, our local 4 year school is around $7K with tuition and fees for instate residents.  This is for tuition, fees, and possibly would cover some books.  Sounds like our "not free" tuition is cheaper or comparable to some of the "free" tuition options out there.

When Tn enacted the Hope Scholarship (not free, but pretty good $), the universities increased the tuition about the same amount the average student was receiving. It is a matter of what the market will bear. If parents were able to put in X amount the year before, the schools don't seem happy with them not putting that same amount in regardless of what the state is kicking in. When you realize that most students do not keep the scholarship long, the university is making a killing.

The new program where CC or Tech is paid for in full for two years is a bit different since parents have no input. The schools are bursting at the seams this year.

• Like 3

For anyone in or considering moving to Georgia, the dual enrollment program is excellent, and homeschoolers are eligible.  As of this year, it now covers tuition, most fees, and books (rentals at no cost, but you have to return them.)  Most colleges and technical schools participate in the program, so it is good for students at all different levels.  

Ds is enrolled as a senior, but I'm wishing I could keep him in high school another year.  If we go to Hope next year, it will cost significantly more than this year.  If your child starts in junior year full-time, it could cut college costs in half (though I recommend living close to a college to avoid the dreadful daily commute!)

This is true in NC as well.  Most students in 11th grade can't carry a full load, but some are able to do it.  

My oldest (we hope) will start next semester, but he is a senior.  Since our CC is only $3K per year in tuition and most fees, we are ok with paying for it too.

California has CC's so cheap they are almost free.  The last time I checked, about 4 years ago, books cost more than tuition and fees did.  And the entrance requirements are minimal for students who are over 18.  

Also, our UC's are world class universities and in state tuition/room/board/books is far cheaper than, say, MIT.

• Like 3

California has CC's so cheap they are almost free.  The last time I checked, about 4 years ago, books cost more than tuition and fees did.  And the entrance requirements are minimal for students who are over 18.  

Also, our UC's are world class universities and in state tuition/room/board/books is far cheaper than, say, MIT.

The CC to UC program is one of the best programs for poor people in the world IMO. It's not easy to live in California but if you can manage to find a decent place in a small area, go to CC, and then make it to a UC, you'll have access to an excellent education at low cost.

• Like 2

$46 per credit at the CC where I worked for a while (today's price) in the LA area.  When I was working there, it was $13 per credit hour.

Our local CC is $72 per credit hour.  Although it is more than $46, I still think it is a huge bargain.

• Like 1

Starting this year, Tennessee is offereing free community college or technical school to residents graduating from TN high schools:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/education/2014/10/10/apply-free-tennessee-community-college/17055583/

This is available to HSer's with an ACT score of 21 or better.

Indiana has  full tuition for income qualifying students who sign up in 8th grade and maintain a 2.5 GPA.  Income bar is set fairly low.

I was attending a California State University just a couple years ago and my total costs per semester were barely over $3,000, though I was not living on campus. The UC schools are much more expensive but I think the California college system is probably among the most reasonably priced for residents.

• Like 1

This is available to HSer's with an ACT score of 21 or better.

Can you please link to this info? I couldn't find anything about the ACT requirements when I looked, only that students must be accepted into a TN participating community college. Of course, the desired CC would probably have an ACT requirement.

We're seriously considering this option for our dd who has a disability in math. Her composite score is over 21, but I'm wondering if there are also specific English & Math requirements.

Can you please link to this info? I couldn't find anything about the ACT requirements when I looked, only that students must be accepted into a TN participating community college. Of course, the desired CC would probably have an ACT requirement.

We're seriously considering this option for our dd who has a disability in math. Her composite score is over 21, but I'm wondering if there are also specific English & Math requirements.

The CC's do not have a required score to be admitted. It also is not needed for TN PRomise.CC will accept anyone. There are specific scores required in English, math, and reading in order to not be required to take remedial classes. If the aCT score is below the accepted level (college ready score if memory serves) for an area, the student is required to take an additional test at the school for placement. The TN Prmise handbook states that remedial class costs are covered for students who need them. The only problem that this could cause would be if it makes the student take longer than the two years covered to graduate. In any case, it is the same scenario that would happen anyway.

• Like 1

Be careful.  Massachusetts enacted a "free tuition" program for students satisfying certain conditions.  Turns out that tuition is now a nominal part of the total cost.  The state university system has enacted very high fees which are not covered by the program.

Yeah, I imagine that's how they get around it. 

The CC's do not have a required score to be admitted. It also is not needed for TN PRomise.CC will accept anyone. There are specific scores required in English, math, and reading in order to not be required to take remedial classes. If the aCT score is below the accepted level (college ready score if memory serves) for an area, the student is required to take an additional test at the school for placement. The TN Prmise handbook states that remedial class costs are covered for students who need them. The only problem that this could cause would be if it makes the student take longer than the two years covered to graduate. In any case, it is the same scenario that would happen anyway.

The above is correct, to my understanding. Tn Promise is actually good for 5 semesters, so a little longer than 2 years.

• Like 1

Thank you!

SDSU offers free tuition to students graduating from a San Diego high school who have a 4.0 average and at least 1400 (CR + M) on the SAT.  

That said, SDSU is about 6-7K per year, and UC schools are about 13K per year. This is tuition only.  Room and board will triple those prices, roughly.  I know these aren't very pricey compared to some schools, but yikes, it is a lot to us!

How hard is it to get citizenship, I wonder?  

Well....  You don't actually have to be Scottish.  If you have any ancestry that would allow you to become a national of any EU country, then take up residence there (apart from England, Wales or Northern Ireland - it's complicated!), then you would get free tuition in Scotland.

• Like 2

Almost, not quite. HOPE pays 100% tuition for students who graduate with a 3.7 HOPE GPA (which is different from your regular GPA)--this is the Zell Miller Award--and a large portion for 3.0--the exact percentage varies by year but is around 75-80%.  Books and fees (which are nearly as much as tuition) are not included, neither is room/board. To maintain the scholarship the student needs to be full time and maintain a college GPA of 3.3 for Zell, 3.0 for regular HOPE. More info at GACollege411.

Besides the GPA requirement there is a "Rigor" requirement wherein the student must take a certain number of advanced courses during high school. This is a recent change so the number will increase from 3 this year to 4 next year and then will remain at 4 for subsequent years.

Homeschoolers have different scholarship requirements based on standardized testing but I don't know the details. You'll need to check the website linked.

No, a student doesn't have to be full time. There is no hours requirement for public schools. If you're at a private college, you must be enrolled at least 6 hours.

• Like 1