Menu

Middle school "gap year" -- Have you ever heard of this?

It looks as though there will be time in middle school, at least six months, where we could step off the traditional academic path for a while, without losing anything essential, and "do something else." If you could do this for a year or part of a year in middle school (anywhere from end-of-5th to end-of-8th), and not be "behind" in any way, what would you do? What would you focus on?

Unschool?

Travel?

Community service?

Practical skills?

Physical fitness?

Something else?

• Like 1

I'm subbing. You mentioned this in another thread and I thought it was very interesting. If DD continues working a year above her grade, this is something I'd think about. 

I'd probably let my kid define the goals for the time. Unschool would top the list. Travel really would be optimal, but the money would have to be available.

• Like 2

I don't understand what it means to "step off the traditional academic path for a while, without losing anything essential".

I understand medical leave and I understand taking a different approach to education (unschooling, integrated learning through special projects) and I also understand how big disasters can get in the way of schooling, but none of these would involve intentionally leaving behind math, literature, and basic skills in order to do something else.

So can you clarify what you are thinking of? Is your child "ahead of the game" and you therefore want to give them a break? I wouldn't. 

As someone who skipped 8th grade and hit a maturity wall a few years later that could have set me back even more significantly than it did, I'd say it could be a very good idea. Travel and/or service experiences would be at the top of the list for what to do with that time.

• Like 7

I can't think of any reason I'd want to put a hold on math and reading/writing during a lengthy alternative education experience.  IMO, to do so would be a mistake.  Reading and writing could revolve around the alternative experience.  The choice for math would depend on the specifics of the student's situation but unless the student was especially accelerated, I'd probably include continued forward motion through the regular sequence.

• Like 2

I would say unschool although travel if there is somewhere your family always wanted to go. Children may choose to focus on literature or music or business or programming. What a great opportunity to really focus on an interest. Traditional scope and sequence in modern times leaves little opportunity for real pursuit of individual interests and talents.

• Like 4

My suggestion would be to travel to a place with a different language and immerse yourself and your child(ren) in that culture.  You could continue some of your studies, such as math, while learning a new language as well as learning the history of the area in which you're living.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

I'd unschool or school differently. Put away the workbooks and do things like Family Math and unit studies in the area of the student's interest. Something like Cover Story or Adventures in Fantasy for writing instead of the traditional academic stuff. More nature study. More art. More music. More games. Travel, if possible. Focus on learning more experientially than out of a book. I'd still do something to keep math, reading, and writing skills from deteriorating, though. 

• Like 1

I have a link in my siggy for some alternative ideas (check out Nan's suggestion on building a boat -- if you live close to a suitable body of water).

We are familiar with this type of thing (if I understand you correctly).

We didn't follow everything in that thread in my siggy. We did focus on volunteering, a research project, and setting up a business.

• Like 2

Travel

Physics fitness and practical skills are part of life. We don't pause to "do" those - they happen.

OTOH, I don't see why academics should be put on hold. My kids would have been bored if they had not been allowed to read and do math and learn.

My children are always allowed to read and do math and learn. Who's stopping them?

The point wouldn't be to stop them from doing those things, but to open up our definition of "school" and approach it differently, take it out of the seat. ;)

We just won't have to spend the next several years working up to high school level skills and knowledge. So, we have time to do other things. I'm looking for ideas.

And, yes, I am basically saying that (1) I don't want to send a 13 year old to college, and (2) I don't want her to be bored at home just doing More-of-the-Same.

• Like 8

For us it's very much about broadening horizons, discovering new interests and just being creative and adventurous with where learning takes us. But there's normally always some level of academics happening in the background, that never really stops. I really love it when we go off on these breaks/ tangents. Nowadays we have less time to do this. So I definitely suggest doing it while you can!

• Like 2

My children are always allowed to read and do math and learn. Who's stopping them?

The point wouldn't be to stop them from doing those things, but to open up our definition of "school" and approach it differently, take it out of the seat. ;)

We just won't have to spend the next several years working up to high school level skills and knowledge. So, we have time to do other things. I'm looking for ideas.

And, yes, I am basically saying that (1) I don't want to send a 13 year old to college, and (2) I don't want her to be bored at home just doing More-of-the-Same.

I think this is a fascinating idea. Go for it! I think the young teen years are a great time to "open" up to the complexities of the world. Kids are able to engage with social issues, scientific concepts, the complexities of human relationships, changes in their own bodies, etc... in a way that is very different from middle childhood. I think any number of paths could be great. 

I'd probably select as much travel as is possible in your budget and family context; a "deep dive" into a topic of interest or a foreign language; and community service can take on new dimensions not available to them before. I might even explore "the construct of adolescence" itself with my kid and/or do a lot of "me-search" or self-identity exploration (personality tests, interest surveys, shadowing professions one might be interested in...); read 25 challenging books and go on all the rabbit trails they would entail. 

If you are not otherwise worried about academics or her preparation for high school (and depending on the child and situation, I do not think that preparation needs to look the same for every child), I think a "gap" year could be really productive. 

I'm going to stick a pin in this for when my children are a bit older. 

• Like 2

I have to admit that I don't fully get the concept of the middle school gap year. I mean, I get how people use it (in as much as I've been seeing it mentioned as a "thing" a few times in the last couple of years) and I get what the stated purpose is. If a child was going back to school, I could see the value, I suppose... I certainly think changing up school or slowing down or going in depth with something or taking time for travel or whatever are good things. But for a homeschooled kid, I don't totally get it. If I want to stop and do something different for a year or six months, I just do that. And if it puts us "behind" later, then we cross that bridge when we come to it. I guess I wouldn't want to assume that a kid should be held back from leaving home or finishing high school on time down the road if they're ready. That feels like a mistake to me to make that plan for a 12 yo.

• Like 7

I don't get the concept of a gap year in middle school either, but fwiw, my DS is doing an exchange program--he is in France being immersed (going to school etc) for a few months. Academically, those months are a loss except of course for French.

Next year I plan to travel with my two kids every other quarter or so, but we will continue homeschooling on the road so it's not a gap anything. We will stop when we runout of $ or DS goes to high school, whichever happens sooner ;)

• Like 3

I think I'd keep going academically and put the money aside for a great gap year between high school and college.

What a gap year would look like could be completely different depending on the kid. Are they interested in learning a foreign language? Starting a business? Learning a particular craft? Training for a sport or competition? Becoming involved in politics? Helping with a cause they align with? Spending a year doing MOOCs of interest?

• Like 2

My thoughts... you don't have to call it a gap year or any other such thing to decide you don't want to do more of the same or you want to change grade designation, as a hs'er you have that option at any time. I would make sure math was hit and there was access to lots of good books and then follow interests and opportunities. 

• Like 4

I've tried to talk DD into this, as she is a fairly young middle schooler, but she wasn't having anything of it, so I dropped it.  I discussed travel with her, as well as charity work with our church that involved some travel,a dn some new unschooly-type project.  She didn't want to do it because then she would not graduate with her peers.  *sigh*  My kids are traditional and schooly.

It looks as though there will be time in middle school, at least six months, where we could step off the traditional academic path for a while, without losing anything essential, and "do something else." If you could do this for a year or part of a year in middle school (anywhere from end-of-5th to end-of-8th), and not be "behind" in any way, what would you do? What would you focus on?

Unschool?

Travel?

Community service?

Practical skills?

Physical fitness?

Something else?

• Like 1

We're spending a big part of this year focusing on DD10's advocacy work and enlisting others, plus research. It has never been an intentional choice to slow down, but the more involved she's gotten in research and advocacy, the less breakneck her academic pace has gotten, which is a nice side effect.

• Like 6

If I could afford it, trave/unschool, otherwise Service project/unschool.  I think it's a wonderful idea and would swear off all traditional style school for the entire 6 months. We'd have fun learning and doing.  If I got too scared, I might slip in a once a week Math review and occasionally ask them to write about their experiences.  

And what a great way to get to know your kid better and give them memories of their family.  

• Like 1

I'm not questioning the name... Who cares what it's called? I'm questioning why hold a child back a year gradewise? That's, I assume, what this means...

Hmm, I didn't get that feeling at all about what OP wants to do. It sounds to me like she wants to go sideways instead of accelerating further or holding a child back. Some people call that going sideways, some call that unschooling, some call it a gap year, some call it alternative (like I tend to do) and some just do it without worrying what it's called (like you say and I agree with that too).

It sounds like OP's child couldn't be held back anyway. :001_smile:

• Like 9

I'm not questioning the name... Who cares what it's called? I'm questioning why hold a child back a year gradewise? That's, I assume, what this means...

To delay the entry into college, not because they are not ready academically, but maybe they would do well with being a little older when going off to school.

• Like 6

You can do whatever you want as long as you don't call it a gap year on The Hive. ;) snort.

Well, yeah, because a gap year means something.

I think a lot of people have a really concrete idea of "gap year" in terms of it being strictly non-academic and an opportunity for a child to just "be" after high school before entering college so they have time to mature before making those curricular choices on their own. There's also a big element of the kid having finished what they need to do and taking a break.

This makes less sense in the context of young teens and pre-teens whose peers are all continuing to study, even if they are at a 10th grade level in the 5th grade. The OP has in her signature that her son is in 5th grade and in CLE 500, WWS 4. Right on track. So is this needing time to mature? An outdated signature and a 10 year old doing pre-calc and I'm just clueless?

How do you get to college-level math at 13 from CLE 500?

Sorry to be obtuse but that's kind of where I'm confused. Also, kids don't get to college-level math just sitting there, so clearly, if the child is on that trajectory, two math classes per year, then obviously there's a level of interest and motivation there that a gap year wouldn't address. No matter how smart you are, to get to college-level math at that age you do have to spend some time at it. Perhaps less time than a college student with an average IQ but you're spending time.

I do sincerely apologize if I am missing this. I don't see this in the accelerated learners forum so I'm not making those assumptions.

• Like 7

My oldest wants to do a year abroad as a high school student but will not be given credit. So, if she is accepted she will do it as a gap year between high school and college. If I knew she would want this, I would have pushed through at your point so that year could be during high school without delaying college.

Then I don't quite understand what "gap year" means in this connotation. The "traditional academic path" just takes a small portion of the day in the middle grades, so I am not quite sure what you are looking for. To me, "gap year" suggest sailing around the world in a boat without books or moving to Alaska to hand build a cabin in the wilderness... are you looking more for suggestions to spice up schooling? To unschool? To do interest led homeschooling?

It would help if you could be a bit more specific about your kids.

If you have a kid who is actually on track of being college ready at 13 y/o, i.e. would have completed all or a large portion of the high school coursework during the middle grades, it would indicate that this is a child with very strong interest in academic; that is something I would want to keep fostering because such kids would be miserable if they could not do academics (ask me how I know). A full immersion foreign language program, possibly a foreign exchange would be  a great option - but I do not know whether there are programs that take such young kids, or whether it is feasible for your family to move abroad.

Sorry if I misunderstood. We always schooled relaxed, in the middle grades four hours per day, no scripted curriculum except for a math text, and had plenty of time for other explorations, travel, museums, live performances, hiking as a family, trips abroad....To have DD not ready for her first college class at 13 would have required locking her up and taking away the books. There was not actually anything to "work up to" high school... they just read and learned math and freely explored content subjects according to their interest. It was a lot of fun, but I can't fathom what a "gap year" would have meant in the middle grades.

• Like 6

I've tried to talk DD into this, as she is a fairly young middle schooler, but she wasn't having anything of it, so I dropped it.  I discussed travel with her, as well as charity work with our church that involved some travel,a dn some new unschooly-type project.  She didn't want to do it because then she would not graduate with her peers.  *sigh*  My kids are traditional and schooly.

Hi, reefgazer --

I guess I was mulling over the possibilities for a child who could jump up (at least in some areas) by middle school, but who could benefit from some non-bookish types of experiences. Since there is no transcript before 9th grade, why couldn't we just keep up with math and "do other things" for everything else? So that really wouldn't make a student end up behind in any way, would it? Again, I'm mulling it over, because I think there is an opportunity in middle school, before we would need to keep transcripts, for some flexibility and creative learning.

See, I think that we have been overly-academic or bookish in our family. I admit that. When I had three children in less than two years, and three surgeries, and a small house, and a tight budget, well -- books were what I could do. So we have been very bookish in our approach to learning.

But there are other ways. I'm trying to open up my own definition of learning, to include things that are not butt-in-the-seat or paper-and-pen or nose-in-a-book. We do so much of that, and it's good, but I can see that my daughters are going to need (and would benefit from) more. They just need more.

And maybe I'm not so good at multi-tasking? Just the thought of weaving it all in, year after year, exhausts me in a way that setting aside a season for "other things" would not. We honestly can't afford to do everything simultaneously. We do weave in certain things -- music (choir), nature study (class), Bible (church groups), art (at home). We do some traveling, some field trips. There is something missing. I'm trying to put my finger on it.

I see what we have lined up for the next year or so, and it is all good stuff. I know that we will diligently do it, and enjoy it, and grow. I'm not worried about that. We always keep math going consistently, so that wouldn't change. But in a year or so, I think that we will need to change something. I know I'm not explaining that very well. :(

In trying to figure out this piece that feels like it's missing, I keep coming back to taking half a year at the end of next year (I know, I know) to "do other things." It's a way off, so probably doesn't need to be clearly defined at the moment. I just wanted to put this out there to glean ideas from others, because I am like a slow cooker set on LOW. It takes time. ;)

• Like 8

I have a link in my siggy for some alternative ideas (check out Nan's suggestion on building a boat -- if you live close to a suitable body of water).

We are familiar with this type of thing (if I understand you correctly).

We didn't follow everything in that thread in my siggy. We did focus on volunteering, a research project, and setting up a business.

Thank you, Quark, that is exactly what I was looking for. It's a relief to know that someone understands this. Yes, "breathing room" is a good way to put it. Thanks!

• Like 1

So you wouldn't be holding back a grade? I think your plan sounds good, I guess I would just be clear you're not adding a year of schooling because the term strongly implies that. That's what "gap year" has always meant - an extra year between high school and college, so the term middle school "gap year" would be an extra year between middle school and high school. Yes, to use in an interesting way, but an extra year. You're just talking about taking a year off from acceleration or to do something different while you're still counting down school.

• Like 2

Hmm, I didn't get that feeling at all about what OP wants to do. It sounds to me like she wants to go sideways instead of accelerating further or holding a child back. Some people call that going sideways, some call that unschooling, some call it a gap year, some call it alternative (like I tend to do) and some just do it without worrying what it's called (like you say and I agree with that too).

It sounds like OP's child couldn't be held back anyway. :001_smile:

Yes, I think that's it. To be honest, since we're talking about my oldest child, I don't really know what it is, LOL. She's the Guinea Pig Kid. Actually, it's all three. They would all be in on it, like a pack of puppies.

I would absolutely consider whatever we do as "part" of the school year, but in my state, who is keeping track? No one. We don't turn in anything to anyone, so there is no big deal in middle school. We can do what we want. That being the case, no, it isn't holding them back (at all). If I say, "This is what we're doing for the first half of this year, then we put the schoolish requirements aside and do X, Y, and Z for the second half," no one will even know or care.

I remember when the girls were... 4, 4, and 6, I think. We took a family trip to Williamsburg, and they rode the bus. It was the first time they'd ever been on a bus. :blushing: They were so proud of riding on that bus, LOL, but it struck me that they needed to do more real things. They grew so much from that trip, and then later, when we went to CA to visit family, they grew some more. No amount of book work could do what those experiences did for the girls, if that makes sense.

We live 1.5 hours from NYC, 3.5 hours from DC, and 5 hours from Boston, depending on how people are driving in Connecticut. We have family in CA, FL, NC, and NY. There are volunteer opportunities in our area that would probably be a good fit for my girls (at that age).

I guess I was thinking:

Travel Focus -- one day a week (or longer, if the travel warrants)

Volunteer Focus -- one or two days a week (math + job)?

Physical Focus -- one day (math + hike) or one day (math + yard work)

Practical Skills Focus -- one day (math + PS)

Free Reading/Projects -- one day (math + reading/projects)

And, FWIW, I don't have a son.

I just thought of my friend who was homeschooled and is now a grad student in computational chemistry at MIT.

When he hit 10th grade (so past middle grades, but near), he hated math. Now, computational chemistry is math, so I asked him what happened.

His mom gave him six months off of his normal school work to "find something you like about math." He dove in (self-motivated guy) to search until he found something. That was the turning point in his math education. 

That is sort of like a gap year, right? I think his mom was pretty wise! It has worked out well for him!

Emily

• Like 12

Unschool?

Travel?

Community service?

Practical skills?

Physical fitness?

Something else?

I wouldn't call that a "gap year." I would call that learning all the time but differently (travel, community service, practical skills, physical fitness, something else)...wait...that sounds like unschooling... :D

I think keeping up on arithmetic skills would be good; if you travel, keep maps and travel diaries and whatnot (social studies, English skills); if you hike and all while you're traveling, well, physical fitness (and you could keep nature journals...science).

Practically speaking, your children would continue to be "in" whatever their official grade levels are, for the sake of any record keeping or transcripts or whatever. IOW, I wouldn't hold them back on paper because they weren't doing Official School Stuff.

• Like 3

Hi, reefgazer --

I guess I was mulling over the possibilities for a child who could jump up (at least in some areas) by middle school, but who could benefit from some non-bookish types of experiences. Since there is no transcript before 9th grade, why couldn't we just keep up with math and "do other things" for everything else? So that really wouldn't make a student end up behind in any way, would it? Again, I'm mulling it over, because I think there is an opportunity in middle school, before we would need to keep transcripts, for some flexibility and creative learning.

See, I think that we have been overly-academic or bookish in our family. I admit that. When I had three children in less than two years, and three surgeries, and a small house, and a tight budget, well -- books were what I could do. So we have been very bookish in our approach to learning.

But there are other ways. I'm trying to open up my own definition of learning, to include things that are not butt-in-the-seat or paper-and-pen or nose-in-a-book. We do so much of that, and it's good, but I can see that my daughters are going to need (and would benefit from) more. They just need more.

And maybe I'm not so good at multi-tasking? Just the thought of weaving it all in, year after year, exhausts me in a way that setting aside a season for "other things" would not. We do weave in certain things -- music (choir), nature study (class), Bible (church groups), art (at home). We do some traveling, some field trips. There is something missing. I'm trying to put my finger on it.

I see what we have lined up for the next year or so, and it is all good stuff. I know that we will diligently do it, and enjoy it, and grow. I'm not worried about that. We always keep math going consistently, so that wouldn't change. But in a year or so, I think that we will need to change something. I know I'm not explaining that very well. :(

In trying to figure out this piece that feels like it's missing, I keep coming back to taking half a year at the end of next year (I know, I know) to "do other things." It's a way off, so probably doesn't need to be clearly defined at the moment. I just wanted to put this out there to glean ideas from others, because I am like a slow cooker set on LOW. It takes time. ;)

So, maybe what you want are ideas of how to spend 6 months unschooling?  Activities and interesting things to do that will require thought and creativity where your child will learn without feeling like you all are doing school?  Not a gap 1/2 year but an interest led 1/2 year.  If it were me I'd figure out my budget for travelling and find some ongoing service projects to get involved with.  I'd plan to do this in Spring and Summer for best weather.  I'd probably make them keep a journal and write about "things" occasionally and you could theoretically continue to do math, or at least do Math review so no content is lost from their heads.

• Like 2

I guess I was mulling over the possibilities for a child who could jump up (at least in some areas) by middle school, but who could benefit from some non-bookish types of experiences. Since there is no transcript before 9th grade, why couldn't we just keep up with math and "do other things" for everything else? So that really wouldn't make a student end up behind in any way, would it? 

My two cents:  a student can't really get "behind" in content subjects, like science and social studies, before high school.  Skill subjects are another matter and you've already identified that you'd want to keep going with math, which makes sense.  The sequence for math is easy to identify.  Sequential progress in reading and writing may be less obvious.  Of course these could be done creatively, potentially involving the subject of the alternative education experiences or other interests, but I would want to make sure forward progress was occurring with reading and writing with minimal breaks.

• Like 3

I know this won't hold for every kid, but holding my DS back a year allowed him time to develop more maturity, and in a world where kids are sorted by grade level even outside of school (sports, youth groups) it meant he had a peer group more in line with his maturity.  I want this for DD because once you hit 9th grade, there are certain quantity expectations for a college-prep curriculum that I feel she must meet.  But she has vetoed it, and since she's doing well, I'll let it slide.

• Like 3

I know this won't hold for every kid, but holding my DS back a year allowed him time to develop more maturity, and in a world where kids are sorted by grade level even outside of school (sports, youth groups) it meant he had a peer group more in line with his maturity.  I want this for DD because once you hit 9th grade, there are certain quantity expectations for a college-prep curriculum that I feel she must meet.  But she has vetoed it, and since she's doing well, I'll let it slide.

Yeah... I can see that could potentially be good for some kids... But my kids are also on the young end for grade. It didn't occur to me to redshirt them in kindy, but now I could see that it might be easier down the line if they have an extra year. The thing is... I'm not going to change what we do because of that. When we need extra time, I take it. If we end up "behind" I readjust. If they need an extra year before college (or before going to a public school) then we'll evaluate it then. Right now the plan is homeschool, so I don't want to randomly stick a year in there.

• Like 2

Yeah, I agree with you in principal.  We are also a very bookish family - it seems for the same reason you are - and I find it difficult to "weave things in" also, unless I've given it waaay too much thought to count as unschooling, LOL!  

Over the few years I have been homeschooling, I have expanded my thoughts and can now look at schooling in a much broader way.  For example, we cut back (somewhat) on the bookish things and ditched most busy work in order for DD to have time to spend at the barn with the horses (she's now there several days a week and is happy with that).  But I still feel we are "overly-busy" and am not sure how to rectify that.  DD is on a competitive swim team and swims two hours/day, and is studying two foreign languages (Latin and French), which are like math in the sense that you really have to keep up with them so you don't get rusty.  We do math each day, but not excessively, and DD needs remediation (not a great deal, but some before she starts high school) in spelling and punctuation so I don't want to let that go, either.  I could cut back on the history and science, but those are also things DD likes.  I should discuss this cutting back history and science with DD, but I am scared witless to let those go and just pick it up in high school.   

As for DS, he has not found what grabs his interest enough to ditch much of anything, but DS and I are not time-pressed and he is not in any way over-extended.  He just has scouts and recreational soccer, which seem to be enough to make him happy.

Hi, reefgazer --

And maybe I'm not so good at multi-tasking? Just the thought of weaving it all in, year after year, exhausts me in a way that setting aside a season for "other things" would not. We do weave in certain things -- music (choir), nature study (class), Bible (church groups), art (at home). We do some traveling, some field trips. There is something missing. I'm trying to put my finger on it.

• Like 2

This made me laugh!  When DS was a little shaver, he wanted to ride the city bus *everywhere*.  I can drive to the children's museum here in 15 minutes, but we had to spend 2 hours walking to the  bus, hopping on the city bus, which took us to the ferry, which was within walking distance of the children's museum.  And then do it all over again to get back.  God, what a long day, but he sat in that bus so proud of himself because he was able to ride the bus, LOL!

Yes, I think that's it. To be honest, since we're talking about my oldest child, I don't really know what it is, LOL. She's the Guinea Pig Kid. Actually, it's all three. They would all be in on it, like a pack of puppies.

I would absolutely consider whatever we do as "part" of the school year, but in my state, who is keeping track? No one. We don't turn in anything to anyone, so there is no big deal in middle school. We can do what we want. That being the case, no, it isn't holding them back (at all). If I say, "This is what we're doing for the first half of this year, then we put the schoolish requirements aside and do X, Y, and Z for the second half," no one will even know or care.

I remember when the girls were... 4, 4, and 6, I think. We took a family trip to Williamsburg, and they rode the bus. It was the first time they'd ever been on a bus. :blushing: They were so proud of riding on that bus, LOL, but it struck me that they needed to do more real things. They grew so much from that trip, and then later, when we went to CA to visit family, they grew some more. No amount of book work could do what those experiences did for the girls, if that makes sense.

We live 1.5 hours from NYC, 3.5 hours from DC, and 5 hours from Boston, depending on how people are driving in Connecticut. We have family in CA, FL, NC, and NY. There are volunteer opportunities in our area that would probably be a good fit for my girls (at that age).

I guess I was thinking:

• Like 1

Well, yeah, because a gap year means something.

I think a lot of people have a really concrete idea of "gap year" in terms of it being strictly non-academic and an opportunity for a child to just "be" after high school before entering college so they have time to mature before making those curricular choices on their own. There's also a big element of the kid having finished what they need to do and taking a break.

This makes less sense in the context of young teens and pre-teens whose peers are all continuing to study, even if they are at a 10th grade level in the 5th grade. The OP has in her signature that her son is in 5th grade and in CLE 500, WWS 4. Right on track. So is this needing time to mature? An outdated signature and a 10 year old doing pre-calc and I'm just clueless?

How do you get to college-level math at 13 from CLE 500?

Sorry to be obtuse but that's kind of where I'm confused. Also, kids don't get to college-level math just sitting there, so clearly, if the child is on that trajectory, two math classes per year, then obviously there's a level of interest and motivation there that a gap year wouldn't address. No matter how smart you are, to get to college-level math at that age you do have to spend some time at it. Perhaps less time than a college student with an average IQ but you're spending time.

I do sincerely apologize if I am missing this. I don't see this in the accelerated learners forum so I'm not making those assumptions.

Yes, my 5th grade daughter (not son?) is doing CLE Math 500. I don't see a problem with this? Why do people always seem to assume that math is the sine qua non indicator of giftedness or acceleration? I never said she was gifted, and certainly not in math. She is gifted (in other areas), but that's not the point of my question. The point is that, at some time in the next year or so, my daughter(s) will need something that is missing from our homeschool, and I would like some help trying to figure out what that might be. I was trying to put this out there to brainstorm it with the Hive. Silly me, not having a 5th grader in Pre-Calc. What was I thinking?

I also never said that we would completely stop doing math, only that we would like to set up a part of a year to learn in ways other than primarily seat work and book work.

And I think that, whatever we call it, the idea still has merit. If they keep progressing as they are now, all three of my daughters would still be able to take some time "off" from most components of traditional schooling, and still be ready for high school level work by high school age. If they don't take that time off to travel, volunteer, work, create, etc., then (IMO) they will move along "too fast" in comparison with their growth as human beings. They will have a certain kind of bookish knowledge... and that is all they will have.

My husband, brilliant guy, very sciency and techy, says to me (on our honeymoon), "Look, Babe! Isn't that a beautiful field of corn?"

"Um, yes, it's beautiful, Honey, but... it's soybeans."

I suppose I'm afraid that we'll end up with these nice, polite, nerdy kids who really do know Math, French, Latin, are well read, can write well, diagram sentences, know the History timeline, tons of science definitions and concepts, play an instrument, sing in a choir, and who think they are the bee's knees, but who...

• can't figure out a city bus or train schedule,
  • don't know how to fix a light switch,
  • can't run a mile without being out of breath,
  • have never been to Washington DC or New York (or any big city),
  • can't do three hours of hard yard work without complaining about something (bugs, heat, cold, humidity, mud, skunk poop, the work, hunger, thirst, gas, you name it),
  • are clueless about how anyone outside of our immediate family lives,
  • have never seen great poverty or great affluence (and all that implies),
  • have never really considered another point of view (except through books), and
  • can't tell corn from soybeans.
  • Like 9

I feel like that slow cooker too (love that analogy...that's SO me) and for reasons not entirely different, and yet not very alike, we have also been bookish and why I asked for alternative ideas in that thread in my siggy. I guess I just wanted to see in what other ways we could develop, both kiddo and I. I loved the idea of having something unscripted, the road less taken so to speak. I loved the idea of more leisurely exploration whether or not it had something to do with interest areas. I couldn't just totally unschool and yet I couldn't also totally let structured lessons go. I don't really think too seriously about what it's called...just something different. But what ended up happening was that he felt he was happy with status quo (the bookishness and structure). But we did manage to stretch our wings out a bit because I was starting to let go of academic worries and getting into the more explorative mindset. That thread helped me jumpstart this.

I guess I was thinking:

So, I have just one son and I don't know what your energy level is like. For me this would have been too much. As a singleton, he would have needed access to larger groups of very likeminded kids to do some of these things with or he would have ended up doing them alone and probably not enjoying them as much.

Some of these things could be combined as you start (and then you'll probably find your groove after that?). We were already driving a lot for things and taking a day off for travel per week couldn't have worked with DH's schedule. But I have a friend who did something like this with her son. She started a small group to organize field trips and took her son and the group on day-long trips around where she lived (museums, plays, special labs, national parks etc). I think it took her about 2-3 weeks to set up the group and then she sent out events every 1-2 weeks with about 2-3 weeks notice for the families to prepare. That way she had a rolling list of events so that about 3 weeks after she set up the group, they were already starting on the first field trip, next field trip 1-2 weeks later and so on. We went on a few, as time and energy and distance permitted, and it was really fun. If you did this with a group, you would want a committed group of people. Since you have >1 child this could work for just your family too.

Volunteer and physical could be combined too...weeding someone's yard, volunteering at a community garden (if something like that exists near you), building shelters, etc?

• Like 1

I suppose I'm afraid that we'll end up with these nice, polite, nerdy kids who really do know Math, French, Latin, are well read, can write well, diagram sentences, know the History timeline, tons of science definitions and concepts, play an instrument, sing in a choir, and who think they are the bee's knees, but who...
  • can't do three hours of hard yard work without complaining about something (bugs, heat, cold, humidity, mud, the work, hunger, thirst, gas, you name it),
  • have never really considered another point of view (except through books), and

Sorry, I just love this thread...and you just described my son from about 3-4 years ago. :lol:

But most of these things don't have to take 6 months to learn in case you are very worried about these "lacking" skills.

• Like 3

[snip]

He felt he was happy with status quo (the bookishness and structure).

Yeah, Crash is happy with this, too. She is the kind of kid who thanks me at the end of a good, long, hard school day, LOL. "Oh, Mommy, thank you for doing school today, it was great." We do school almost every day, so I get thanked a lot! ;) We wouldn't toss out all the structure, because the kids (and I) like it. However, I think we all need to grow in the areas that would necessitate being less structured, if that makes sense. For example, travel requires flexibility and stepping out of comfort zones. Volunteer work requires following directions from someone other than Mom. My little Homebody Bookworm Flake -- I say that affectionately -- could benefit.

[snip]

So, I have just one son and I don't know what your energy level is like. For me this would have been too much. As a singleton, he would have needed access to larger groups of very likeminded kids to do some of these things with or he would have ended up doing them alone and probably not enjoying them as much.

Thanks for that advice. Energy level here is not that great sometimes, and we'll have to take that into consideration. Since it would be a year or so away, if at all, I'm just gathering up ideas, to let them simmer on the back burner. I do have the three girls, very close in age, and they stick together very well. There are a few other families we could join up with for some local things, and volunteer opportunities through our church that would provide a group (at times).

Some of these things could be combined as you start (and then you'll probably find your groove after that?). We were already driving a lot for things and taking a day off for travel per week couldn't have worked with DH's schedule. But I have a friend who did something like this with her son. She started a small group to organize field trips and took her son and the group on day-long trips around where she lived (museums, plays, special labs, national parks etc). I think it took her about 2-3 weeks to set up the group and then she sent out events every 1-2 weeks with about 2-3 weeks notice for the families to prepare. That way she had a rolling list of events so that about 3 weeks after she set up the group, they were already starting on the first field trip, next field trip 1-2 weeks later and so on. We went on a few, as time and energy and distance permitted, and it was really fun. If you did this with a group, you would want a committed group of people. Since you have >1 child this could work for just your family too.

Volunteer and physical could be combined too...weeding someone's yard, volunteering at a community garden (if something like that exists near you), building shelters, etc?

Quark, your ideas have been so helpful. Thank you.

• Like 1

• can't do three hours of hard yard work without complaining about something (bugs, heat, cold, humidity, mud, skunk poop, the work, hunger, thirst, gas, you name it),

I'm glad to have helped! I was thinking about this a little more and trying to remember what we've done...quick list:

1. city or bus train schedule -- we visited a large, busy east coast city (we are in CA) for the first time -- kiddo planned the itinerary, where to stay (making sure it's close to the train line because we didn't want to rent a car), what tours to take and how to coordinate a few events over the 4 days that we were there. He does this on a regular basis for other smaller road trips we take too
  2. DH didn't want DS fixing a light switch alone (absent minded boy) so they did it together.  I regularly fix minor plumbing issues and show DS how to do them -- DS mows the lawn and weeds (not on a regular basis and we have a messy yard but it doesn't take long to learn is my point)
  3. running a mile / working without complaining -- running is something my boy can't do yet. Anything requiring a lot of physical stamina is a real challenge for him -- but I think he will build this over time...he is doing a little every week on a consistent basis -- he lifts and sets up chairs and furniture for the improv teacher (we try to get to class earlier just for this) and helps put away chairs etc after jazz class too...it is not much but it does build character and helpfulness and nice bonus is that teachers end up loving him...it doesn't build a ton of muscle or fitness, but it's something he does without complaining (vs yard work which does elicit complains)
  4. anyone outside family lives / poverty -- we signed up for a project similar to Sugata Mitra's granny cloud. Kiddo and I brainstormed simple science projects to teach to kids online. The kids were from a 3rd world country, so cute, very funny and some ended up teaching us a few things we had previously taken for granted! It was fabulous but we moved and things were hectic and we had to stop because it does take a time commitment to do regularly and we wanted to do our very best. You just reminded me that we should think about doing this again
  5. corn from soybeans -- I couldn't either but hey I'm not from this country (that's my excuse :D) -- for city folks like us, a good field trip usually takes care of these things and nature walks help with other tree/ plant ID-ing
  • Like 1

Yes, my 5th grade daughter (not son?) is doing CLE Math 500. I don't see a problem with this?  

<snip>

I don't think she meant to indicate that there was a problem with this, it's just that you confused a few people with the comment about not wanting to send a kid to college at 13. 

One thing I would consider is to start on a smaller scale with some of these things now (or in the spring), and continue them throughout middle school, as opposed to one year of trying to fit it all in. It's very unlikely that taking a day per week for interesting, engaging activities will set any of them behind, but a year of a very different schedule can be both hard to deal with at the time and hard to come back from. 

We rarely did all-day school in the middle grades, and my kids transitioned to college prep high school courses with no problem. I think you could easily do some variation on this idea even if they are not 'ahead.' 

It sounds like you live in a great location for short trips, that would be a great plus. We enjoy travel but find it tiring, so one trip a month for several years would be much better for us than one a week for a year. 

Start checking into potential volunteer opportunities now; in some areas, it is very difficult to find anything for kids. Around here, it was mostly cleanup day at the park or packing boxes at the food center, both of which had to be done as part of a group. 

I like the intentional physical focus. I would probably do something short, fun, and easy once a week and then something more involved, like a long hike, once a month. A day of mostly yard work wouldn't fly around here, mostly because I hate yard work, lol. Maybe 30-60 minutes of yard work interspersed with nature study, or more fun outdoor work like washing the car. 

I think that several shorter session of practical skills would be better than one day, because they would get more practice and probably focus more. Some special projects might take most of a day, of course, but for plumbing and general fix-it stuff, I think they'd learn more by trying one small thing at a time. 

My kids would definitely prefer more days with time set aside for reading and projects rather than one full day. 

Basically, I think a lot of it depends on personality and interests. My kids would be miserable traveling every week, while other kids would thrive on traveling every day. 

I'd start a notebook that they can contribute to, divided into travel, practical skills, and so on. Let them put in their own ideas and maybe even do some of the planning. 

• Like 4

I don't think she meant to indicate that there was a problem with this, it's just that you confused a few people with the comment about not wanting to send a kid to college at 13.

Ah, but not necessarily for math. ;) There does seem to be a bias towards thinking of gifted kids as gifted in math. And many are, and good for them, but not all kids who are gifted are gifted in math. My kids certainly are not. I actually wasn't posting to discuss whether or not (or to what extent) my kids are gifted. I was posting because I, as their mother, believe that they are strong in their skills in every area, they are hard workers with a lot of heart, but they need some rounding out, and that a half a year of "other things" in the middle grades would serve them well, probably better than the conventional line-up, and to ask for ideas on that.

That said, if we were to stay on the same trajectory with all our school "stuff," then yes, I can see that it might create a problem at 13 or 14 or 15 -- that I probably will have at least one child ready for more challenging academics, without the life experiences to make those possible or practicable. Rather than try to squeeze those in during the high school years (and be desperate to make them work), it seems to make more sense to do broadening, enriching, maturing things in the middle school years, when there is more room to breathe. I hope that makes sense.

One thing I would consider is to start on a smaller scale with some of these things now (or in the spring), and continue them throughout middle school, as opposed to one year of trying to fit it all in. It's very unlikely that taking a day per week for interesting, engaging activities will set any of them behind, but a year of a very different schedule can be both hard to deal with at the time and hard to come back from. 

We rarely did all-day school in the middle grades, and my kids transitioned to college prep high school courses with no problem. I think you could easily do some variation on this idea even if they are not 'ahead.' 

It sounds like you live in a great location for short trips, that would be a great plus. We enjoy travel but find it tiring, so one trip a month for several years would be much better for us than one a week for a year. 

Start checking into potential volunteer opportunities now; in some areas, it is very difficult to find anything for kids. Around here, it was mostly cleanup day at the park or packing boxes at the food center, both of which had to be done as part of a group. 

I like the intentional physical focus. I would probably do something short, fun, and easy once a week and then something more involved, like a long hike, once a month. A day of mostly yard work wouldn't fly around here, mostly because I hate yard work, lol. Maybe 30-60 minutes of yard work interspersed with nature study, or more fun outdoor work like washing the car. 

I think that several shorter session of practical skills would be better than one day, because they would get more practice and probably focus more. Some special projects might take most of a day, of course, but for plumbing and general fix-it stuff, I think they'd learn more by trying one small thing at a time. 

My kids would definitely prefer more days with time set aside for reading and projects rather than one full day. 

Basically, I think a lot of it depends on personality and interests. My kids would be miserable traveling every week, while other kids would thrive on traveling every day. 

I'd start a notebook that they can contribute to, divided into travel, practical skills, and so on. Let them put in their own ideas and maybe even do some of the planning. 

Love these ideas! Thanks, Katilac. I'm taking notes. ;)

I understand the feeling of missing something, I had felt the same for us, it was pretty good, we've enjoyed our years but like Goldilocks it wasn't quite right. For us I needed the change for me and for them, more of something. We are at home so we are supposed to have all this time to be able to explore all these various things but the reality is we still can't do everything(which is a sad fact I guess but the truth!) and there are so many things that are worthwhile. I very much agree with the idea to start working on it now- no sense in waiting- you can do bits here and there even if it isn't all that you envision, start making a list of all these things that you think you(and they) want to do but don't have the time and energy to go whole hog with now, keep your ear and eyes open for opportunities and carve out some time to do them, I know I have to try stuff out sometimes to really get a feel for whether or not it will work for me/us. 

Our strategy this year is to do so many weeks(8-9) of a more normalish schedule (although even then I've cut back on our seat work) and then we are taking weeks off here and there to have time to focus on various things, we took 3 wks in October and we're taking 4+ over the holidays, 2 in the spring, and more in the summer we hit Math and some language arts lifestyle activities and then learning whatever we want, lots of arts, projects, always tons of science, tons of books, nature studies, documentaries, field trips, handicrafts (not that any of these are the most important things of course but our current interests- which I anticipate will change). Anyway, that is my current solution; I had noticed that we tend to go through ebbs and flows of formal study so this year instead of fighting it I'm embracing it and while purposely taking time to have those lower key days we're figuring out more how to make life and learning one and the same. 

Of course there are so many ways to approach it(and I don't doubt we'll change our own here and there), I read lots of out-of the box, relaxed threads. I searched for every thread by NaninMass, Coralleno, JenninSoCal and others I'm probably forgetting. I read Quark's thread mentioned above, all good inspiration. I'm rambling, I'm sure you'll find what your looking for because you are looking for it, take a leap and trust yourself.

• Like 3