Menu

Kindergarten Homework Question

Okay, so here it goes. My DD is in PS kinder at the same school I teach at. She is above grade level in all areas, approximately middle of first grade, if not higher. That all depends on how seriously she took the MAP test a few weeks ago. Her homework is basically a joke. It focuses on basic beginning of the year kindergarten topics. It also suggests having her "sound spell," which I don't agree with. I don't want to rock the boat and not have DD do the homework, as they get classroom rewards for doing their homework. The only thing that she needs practice that is helpful is the handwriting practice. Parent/teacher conferences are on Monday. Should I bring this up, just do the homework, ask if we can do different homework, or roll with the punches?

I would just have her do the homework (on her own).  The point isn't really to teach her stuff she doesn't know, but to get her to start organizing and working independently on stuff she does know.  And also to give some practice in small-motor type activities.  It provides an opportunity for parents to give extra help if needed, but if not needed, no harm done.

When my kids were in KG, they did their homework independently in aftercare.  I just checked to make sure it was done when they got home.  Then in the evening, we would do reading at their level, visit museums, play music, etc.

If the amount of homework is too much and your daughter is getting fatigued/frustrated, then talk to the teacher.

If you want to give her some challenge after school, consider acquiring other materials or engaging in enrichment activities.

• Like 1

My son is a kindergartner too and is above grade level as well.  His homework is review and it can be a struggle to get it done because he either does it too fast and is a sloppy mess, or he just wants to play and not do the work.  

The way reading is done in my school district is a school-wide leveling program (called Success for All).  Kindergarten is typically its own level, 1st to 2nd another level (Roots) and 3rd and up another (Wings). Every morning the entire school switches classes for 90 min.  Students attend a reading class that is on their level.  For example, a 3rd grader could be in a 4.5 level class with 3rd, 4th, & even 5th graders.

I advocated for my son to get out of the reading class in Kindergarten because he didn't need to be learning his letters, initial sounds, and sight words.  He is reading on at least a mid second grade level.  They moved him to the 1st level of 1st grade.  His  reading is above where most of the kids are, but his spelling and especially his handwriting are at the same or just a bit lower where the other kids are.  His reading teacher did tell me he isn't bored, but he isn't really challenged either.  BUT I do see learning in the form of reinforcement of phonics.  This teacher is good and she is supplementing the scripted program with more phonics.  I hate the program.  

My son spends 1/2 his kindergarten day (he is in 1/2 day because I don't want to afford the $400/month for full day)  in the 1st grade reading group, and then returns for Math and what ever else the teacher does for the last part of the day.  

Math is easy for him.  BUT I am not pushing moving forward in math because I want him to have a good strong foundation and his K teacher is able to give more differentiation in Math in class.

I challenge my son at home.  We read aloud books that are more challenging.  I'm doing AAS with him to improve his spelling and phonetics.  I'm doing MEP and Mammoth Math to give him the challenge he needs.  We are also doing lots of read alouds on lots of different non-fiction topics.  

I wouldn't bring up the topic of doing different homework.  I would just see it as review and find other ways to challenge at home.  Hopefully the teacher already knows your child is ahead of the game.  Maybe ask the teacher if she is able to differentiate any instruction for your child.  The kindergarten reading program doesn't allow for much differentiation in my school, but the math does.  My son surpassed the benchmarks for the end of year on the AIMS WEB (assessment public schools often use) in reading.  That is why they did more assessment and moved him out of Kindergarten for reading.  

Good luck.

To me, this is what afterschooling is all about.

My 1st grader does her "school homework" first, which is easy, and I stress focus, attention to detail, and doing easy things well.  After she has finished all of the easy stuff (for her), she does her "mommy homework".  Which is always challenging material right at her level, which keeps her from getting bored and frustrated.  Her school homework only takes 20 minutes though (and 10 of that is reading).  If her school homework took up more time with busy work, then I might get concerned.

When you are at the conference, see what they offer for kids who are ahead (at my daughter's school, they let the advanced kindergarteners start the AR reading program) so that you can take advantage of it, and see if there's anything else the teacher can easily do (my daughter gets a harder spelling test than the rest of her class).  But realize that there's things the teacher and school will not be able to accommodate, and that's where you step in to fill the gaps (we homeschool 3rd grade Singapore Math after school).  Have the attitude that you and the teacher/school are a team, each doing what they can. 

I do like the idea of reading differentiation based on reading level not age. I know DD's school does Jr. Great Novels. I'll ask about the differentiation for math. Her teacher knows we do Reading Eggs and Mathseeds. I don't think she knows all the other stuff we do at home. I'll see what her recommendations are and go from there.

Mostly we just don't do the homework except learning spelling words and reading. I just have him do Math Mommoth instead. They do reward them for doing homework but obviously not enough to inspire my kids. They have the kids all day - they don't get to dictate what I do in the few hours I get with them. I can see it changing for ds8 in the next few years but so far it has been OK.