Menu

Where do we go from here?

maize

We met with the neuropsych on Monday to go over the results of dd7's evaluations. I don't have a written report yet but should be getting it this week.

Oy vey, we've got a lot to tackle. Not that most of it was a surprise, but somehow making it official feels more overwhelming. He gave her a slew of diagnoses: ADHD, ODD, anxiety, dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia. He emphasized the severity of the ADHD (apparently they struggled to keep her focused and on task during the evals) and strongly recommended medication; he wants to see how that impacts her academic performance. She tested with a high IQ, I thought it was kind of funny the way the neuropsych brought that up first like he wanted to give us the one bit of good news before all the bad news :D

I'm just starting to research medication, we are willing to give it a try as this poor kid is really not functioning well at all at the moment. Beyond that I hardly know where to start, any input is welcome.

That's pretty much ds' list, except trading the ODD for ASD.  Sigh.  Aggressive OT has helped bring some of the behavioral stuff under control, but I can see why he's saying meds.  If you want to try OT first, that would be your option.  Certainly you want OT no matter what.  I think with the meds you contact your ped or a pediatric psychiatrist (your choice) and make the appt to get it going.  

Ronit Bird for the math

LIPS/Barton for the reading

Homeschool space with ASD      This is the thread where I showed some of what we're doing for environmental control and schedules.  You might have to spend a while getting order before she'll be in ready to learn and ready to do academic things.  Honestly, with as many kids as are in your sig, I don't know how you handle it.  Ds takes all my time.  No wonder you're feeling crazy!  Do the other kids have disabilities as well?  Are tutors an option?  

• Like 1

There are some issues with the other kids, mostly not as severe; I've held off on getting evaluations for everyone because of cost, but we are considering doing just that. My three year old is attending the district's special ed preschool, he is a lot like dd7 but MORE!

The kids are enrolled in a virtual charter school program that will help pay for tutoring once I get an IEP in place. I may do that for Barton as it looks quite intensive to teach. The charter school is of the flexible variety that allows us to choose our own curriculum.

Oh, I forgot they also diagnosed a speech sounds disability. She was already in speech therapy for the past two years, but I suspect apraxia.

The ps is obligated to pay for the evals.  If money is tight, you get the evals through the ps, disagree with the conclusions (if they do a hack job), and then force them to pay for private, 3rd party evals.

Keep working at it.  I got my ds an IEP, and it's a lot of work, I know.  Just keep working at it.  For my ds, it was LIPS + PROMPT that got things to connect.  You can force the school district to get someone trained in PROMPT if your dc needs it.  It's more legal fighting, just saying it can be done.

• Like 2

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/562474-duct-tape-your-children/?p=6550870 Here's the thread where I talk about the kinesio tape the OT is having us use on ds.  It's working REALLY well.  There's a link to videos on how to do it.  It's really easy.  Just cut a 6" piece, cut that in half lengthwise, then apply to their back the way the video shows.  You can get kinesio tape for under $10.  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_4?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kinesio+tape&sprefix=kinesio+tape%2Caps%2C148  For my ds the difference is VERY dramatic.  He has serious sensory seeking, and this just chills it.  Just a thing you could try while you wait for the rest of the evals.  For ds, it has taken a lot of OT to get things under control.  Like therapeutic listening and neurofeedback and the taping and balavisx and working on retained reflexes and...  Anyways, the tape you might be able to find on the cheap, just to try.  If the dc is sensory seeking and responds well to deep pressure and strong inputs, then it might help.

• Like 1