Menu

Need advice/reviews of self-grading math programs for 6th grader

stacyh270

My son has completed TT 6 actually twice now (once 2 years ago and this past year) and did MM5/6 alongside it in last year.  In his first go around with TT6, he scored well, but I realized that he retained VERY little conceptual understanding so we reinforced that material the last school year with MM5 and parts of MM6 and redoing certain topics in TT6.  Now, I feel that he has a solid foundation and we are ready to plow ahead. 

I don't have a very high opinion of TT at the  moment because of our previous issues.  Plus, when looking at the topics for TT7, my son already knows about 75% of the content but he's not quite ready for the TT Pre-Algebra.  We've been hitting those topics (the 25% he doesn't have yet) with our MM6 curriculum.  Once that is completed, I'm not sure where to go with his math program.

I guess what I'm basically looking for is a computer-based self-grading program like TT but one that has the rigor and depth of programs like SM or MM.  TT frustrates us because there are SO many review problems built into each lesson and not enough problems for the material just taught.  It drives us bonkers! However, I do feel like some review does need to be built in and that's one of the downfalls of MM for us. It just gets too monotonous and boring quickly.

I desperately need a program that allows him to work on this independently so I can have more time with his younger sisters and to minimize conflict between us.  Does one even exist? And if so, are you and/or your child happy with it?

TIA!

You can mimic the self grading aspect of TT by sitting with the answer key (or better, a solutions manual) across the room from your son and have him tell you his answers as he gets them.  

It's not self grading, but I highly recommend Derek Owens for prealgebra.  Mr Owens grades tests and what he calls homework and I call quizzes.  There are additional practice problems the student needs to do (solutions are provided).  There are video lectures for each lesson and skeletal notes are provided that the student fills in while watching the lectures.

You can mimic the self grading aspect of TT by sitting with the answer key (or better, a solutions manual) across the room from your son and have him tell you his answers as he gets them.  

It's not self grading, but I highly recommend Derek Owens for prealgebra.  Mr Owens grades tests and what he calls homework and I call quizzes.  There are additional practice problems the student needs to do (solutions are provided).  There are video lectures for each lesson and skeletal notes are provided that the student fills in while watching the lectures.

:( I do a lot of that already because I want to correct his errors before he does an entire page of MM incorrectly but it's the time factor involved that is the issue.  My kids go to an all-day tutorial on Mondays and Fridays that does not cover math so we are left with only about 2 full days to get our other work done because of piano and other extra-curricular commitments on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  Plus, I do work at home for my husband's business so I feel like there are not enough hours in a day to get it all done.

That's why I'd love something that he could do on his own with minimal effort on my part that I felt confident had appropriate depth, rigor, and review  :)

You could sign up for an "At-Your-Own-Pace" math course through the Virtual Homeschool Group. It can be started at any time. The course is free (you buy the book, usually an older version) - they use Saxon which is quite thorough and they offer several levels. First there are short videos to watch. The student should have the book to refer to and read the short lesson. The homework assignments are auto-graded by computer and if the student gets a problem wrong they have several chances to redo it for full credit (with similar problems). They need to score 80% or better to advance to the next topic. One nice thing about the homework is that they don't require students to do as many problems as the book assigns (usually they only have to do 20 problems instead of 30). You can take a placement test to see which level to start in - VHSG offers most levels.

• Like 2

You could sign up for an "At-Your-Own-Pace" math course through the Virtual Homeschool Group. It can be started at any time. The course is free (you buy the book, usually an older version) - they use Saxon which is quite thorough and they offer several levels. First there are short videos to watch. The student should have the book to refer to and read the short lesson. The homework assignments are auto-graded by computer and if the student gets a problem wrong they have several chances to redo it for full credit (with similar problems). They need to score 80% or better to advance to the next topic. One nice thing about the homework is that they don't require students to do as many problems as the book assigns (usually they only have to do 20 problems instead of 30). You can take a placement test to see which level to start in - VHSG offers most levels.

Thanks! I will look into this! 

I think someone could make a fortune if they'd combine a program like MM or Singapore with a computer-based automatic grading feature :)  I wonder why it hasn't been done already  :confused1:

• Like 1

Note that if you are planning to finish MM6 (and it seems that you should), when he is finished with MM6 he will be ready for a good prealgebra.  So, that is where I'd focus the search.  Online options like the class Kai mentioned seem like a good plan for your situation.

Or, go ahead with MM7 (which is prealgebra) and add some drill from Khan Academy or similar, on the side, for the review.

If you are looking for self-grading online problem solving practice, there's also Alcumus (free), which has options for adjusting the challenge level.  That would not be drill, however.  It starts at the prealgebra level and has extensive depth.

Thanks! I will look into this! 

I think someone could make a fortune if they'd combine a program like MM or Singapore with a computer-based automatic grading feature :)  I wonder why it hasn't been done already  :confused1:

Probably because they don't have permission from the publisher to do this. VHSG does have permission from Saxon to put their problems online for their students but they do require the students to purchase the book - although it can be a used copy which is pretty cheap.

Note that if you are planning to finish MM6 (and it seems that you should), when he is finished with MM6 he will be ready for a good prealgebra.  So, that is where I'd focus the search.  Online options like the class Kai mentioned seem like a good plan for your situation.

Or, go ahead with MM7 (which is prealgebra) and add some drill from Khan Academy or similar, on the side, for the review.

If you are looking for self-grading online problem solving practice, there's also Alcumus (free), which has options for adjusting the challenge level.  That would not be drill, however.  It starts at the prealgebra level and has extensive depth.

Yes, I do plan on him finishing MM6 and he has a lot of it done already from last year.  We are just hitting some topics that showed up in the TT7 table of contents that I don't think he has a good enough grasp on to move to PreAlgebra yet.  So, as of now, we are dabbling in MM6 and Khan trying to hit those concepts. I will look at Alcumus :)

Khan has, to some extent, tried to fill that need. However, most people feel it's not enough. I think when you're comparing it to something like TT, it stacks up reasonably well, but it's not the same as having a full program exactly.

Yes, I'm kinda in that boat with Khan as well.  

Probably because they don't have permission from the publisher to do this. VHSG does have permission from Saxon to put their problems online for their students but they do require the students to purchase the book - although it can be a used copy which is pretty cheap.

:( I would think it would increase their bottom line if they had the computer-based  auto grading available ;)

http://www.singaporemath.com/Primary_Digital_s/256.htm

this is the digital version of Singapore math

Sadly, I didn't see an option past 5th grade :(

My son has completed TT 6 actually twice now (once 2 years ago and this past year) and did MM5/6 alongside it in last year. In his first go around with TT6, he scored well, but I realized that he retained VERY little conceptual understanding so we reinforced that material the last school year with MM5 and parts of MM6 and redoing certain topics in TT6. Now, I feel that he has a solid foundation and we are ready to plow ahead.

I don't have a very high opinion of TT at the moment because of our previous issues. Plus, when looking at the topics for TT7, my son already knows about 75% of the content but he's not quite ready for the TT Pre-Algebra. We've been hitting those topics (the 25% he doesn't have yet) with our MM6 curriculum. Once that is completed, I'm not sure where to go with his math program.

I guess what I'm basically looking for is a computer-based self-grading program like TT but one that has the rigor and depth of programs like SM or MM. TT frustrates us because there are SO many review problems built into each lesson and not enough problems for the material just taught. It drives us bonkers! However, I do feel like some review does need to be built in and that's one of the downfalls of MM for us. It just gets too monotonous and boring quickly.

I desperately need a program that allows him to work on this independently so I can have more time with his younger sisters and to minimize conflict between us. Does one even exist? And if so, are you and/or your child happy with it?

TIA!

TT7 helps cement what's been learned so far before jumping into prealgebra. It sounds like you did that yourself doing TT6 twice? TT works great here, but I understand it's not going to work for all.

CTC Math is my favorite for a independent learner.  My middle DS has really done well with the program and I use lessons from CTC to supplement with my other kids.  

Wow, just looked at it and it looks very interesting.  I may do the free trial to see how we like it.

Gotta share my favorite- I used to teach with it at a public school a decade ago and although I loved it then, they've made it far better since. It has just been released a few months ago for home use, and is currently only available through Homeschool Buyers Co-op: https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/stmath/?source=138339

Here's a Ted talk by the creator: 

• Like 1