Menu

Science Olympiad-talk to me-my kids are signed up & I am scared

I coached a middle school team to state as well as coached (taught) three events last year.  We have been involved with SO for three years.  We joined a SO homeschool middle school team when my dd12 was a 4th grader.  She competed in three study events, two of which I co-coached and won two 4th place medals at Regionals.  The next year she competed in four study events and got  2nd & 3rd place State medals.  Last year as a sixth grader she competed in five study events and got 1st &3rd place State medals.  SO is a huge commitment but a wonderful way to teach and experience science.  I stated the above medals because it is possible for young students to earn them as long as it is the child's goal to do so.  Medals are earned, there are no participation medals.  Kids who do well with SO enjoy the competition as well as the science.

What division is your team (I'm assuming B)?  How many kids are on your team?  Are you a head coach and/or event coach?  Do you have highly involved parents to coach events?  How many events are your kids doing?  

It's restrictive? I haven't looked. I'm aware of several homeschool teams, so I didn't realize it was difficult.

It's just a function of where we live. You cannot have a team that crosses any school district lines. But there are almost no homeschooled kids my boys' age in our district. We have a ton of friends just a few miles away in all cases, but in THREE adjacent school districts. But the rules mean I could never put together a team of them. When I realized that, I stopped looking into it. I think the rule is unfair - I get why they did it - they're trying to prevent homeschool "superteams" that are basically kids who drop out to do a competition like this because they're super brilliant and draw from all over their state - but I think they're probably preventing one or two instances of that in favor of keeping many dozens (or maybe more?) of homeschoolers out. We're definitely not the only people who live where homeschoolers are geographically scattered.

As I understand it, we could choose to compete individually. It's not a huge deal. Many other organizations don't have that rule and our competition cup is probably full anyway. It was just an idea I flirted with until I realized the lack of feasibility for us.

Farrar, is the crossing-school-district-lines rule specific for DC? The national rule for homeschooled teams is that the kids must come from two contiguous counties in the state: (see option 2 under homeschool) https://www.soinc.org/home_virtual_schools

We are a SO family. I have been an event coach, an assistant coach, and a head coach for 13 years (!!!). I am a big SO cheerleader. I'm happy to answer any questions from anyone, especially the OP :) Quote me or pm me, because I don't regularly visit the Logic Board anymore.

• Like 2

Farrar, is the crossing-school-district-lines rule specific for DC? The national rule for homeschooled teams is that the kids must come from two contiguous counties in the state: (see option 2 under homeschool) https://www.soinc.org/home_virtual_schools

We are a SO family. I have been an event coach, an assistant coach, and a head coach for 13 years (!!!). I am a big SO cheerleader. I'm happy to answer any questions from anyone, especially the OP :) Quote me or pm me, because I don't regularly visit the Logic Board anymore.

I thought they couldn't come from more than one at all. But maybe I misunderstood. Since there is only one district in DC, I suppose we don't have any contiguous districts to draw from, so maybe this rule only effects us.

It's just a function of where we live. You cannot have a team that crosses any school district lines. But there are almost no homeschooled kids my boys' age in our district. We have a ton of friends just a few miles away in all cases, but in THREE adjacent school districts. But the rules mean I could never put together a team of them. When I realized that, I stopped looking into it. I think the rule is unfair - I get why they did it - they're trying to prevent homeschool "superteams" that are basically kids who drop out to do a competition like this because they're super brilliant and draw from all over their state - but I think they're probably preventing one or two instances of that in favor of keeping many dozens (or maybe more?) of homeschoolers out. We're definitely not the only people who live where homeschoolers are geographically scattered.

As I understand it, we could choose to compete individually. It's not a huge deal. Many other organizations don't have that rule and our competition cup is probably full anyway. It was just an idea I flirted with until I realized the lack of feasibility for us.

This is not the national level rule, as I understand it. Homeschool teams must be composed of homeschool students in no more than two contiguous counties. Our B team started as 4 kids the year before last, and everyone earned at least one regional medal. Last year we managed to get 11 kids on one team that went to State. This year we have enough to have a full (15 kids) varsity and a partial JV team. I think they may have a chance at nationals in a couple more years as a high school team. We have 4 different counties in our group, so we have several teams (high school, middle school, JV middle, different county middle, etc). Our experience has been that SO is great for homeschoolers.

If it's just you and your kids then I suggest letting them do as few or as many events as they want. There are 21 events total, but you can only be in one event each hour (except for builds which are scheduled differently). You can get others to join in with you to fill up a team, or you can just do it with the intent of doing well in your preferred I ndividual events.

Know your rules - they are the be-all end-all of the event.

The SO wiki has a test exchange, which is helpful for getting a feel for what study events are like. Many people post videos of their build events on YouTube. I think the hardest ones to get a feel for before actually attending an event are the lab events (Crime Busters, BioProcess Lab, etc).

If there are invitationals in your area you could attend for some experience before the official regional and state tournaments.

You will have to be "coach" - so there are some official things on tournament day for you to do, but in terms of coaching your kids in their events it's mostly helping them develop study habits, procuring materials, quizzing things with them, and practicing with old tests or dry runs of their lab/build events.

Have so much fun - and best wishes!!

• Like 1

We hit the contiguous counties rule because we're on a state border, so our homeschool group hits multiple states as well as 5 counties. I've developed a real fondness for Continental Math/National Acience League. They're not as challenging and don't have the live competitions that MathCounts or Science Olympiqd do-but they truly don't care that my fourth grade team this year comes from three counties in three states, including one child who is actually driving through three counties and 3 hours to find homeschool activities.

• Like 2

I don't know if any books specifically on competitions, or how to prepare for the competition as a whole. The resources you use to prepare for each *event* are up to you. This point frustrates some people - they want to be told what book to study or how to build a basic bottle rocket, but figuring that out on your own IS part of the competition. *The rules ARE your framework for study, and that's pretty much all you (or anyone else) gets.*

This is one reason that seasoned teams, with seasoned coaches, may have an advantage - they may have resources amassed, past tests to study from, or are familiar with an event from some years ago. However, homeschoolers usually do really well because they often make SO their school work, and therefore could potentially have a lot more time to invest in SO. Besides, seasoned teams and coaches in any competition, whether spelling bee or basketball, have an advantage over newcomers - it's the nature of experience.

Check the SciOly wiki for general info about events, past tests, and sometimes suggestions of where to look next. You'll probably find most SO people friendly and encouraging but competitive, and guarded about their resources and strategies.

Hope that answered your questions

• Like 3

Just curious, can special need kids participate, or is there a certain level of academic expectancy?

Science Olympiad is by nature an academic competition.  There is nothing that excludes an individual with special needs from participating, but they do not change event parameters to accommodate special needs.  For example, my oldest has ADD and a language based LD, but she still participates in SO.  She probably would do better on written parts of tests (those that go beyond multiple choice) if she was given more time because she knows the material but it takes her a longer time to form the language and write it down, but there is no accommodation.  Everything is run by the rules.  Most tests are written by the local event supervisors only a few days before the events.  You could contact your regional/state SO organizations to ask more specifically.  There are non-study events (builds) that may be more suited to some students with special needs.

• Like 2

One more thing to add, most events are for 2 people.  So if you have a partner who can help your child with a difficulty (like someone who scribes for them) that is OK.  Our team in the past has had very high functioning ASD/Aspergers members, and currently has at one (I think 2) with dyslexia.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

We had two invitationals already, at which the team did alright (I think we were 9th place and 11th, out of 22 or 23 teams each time).  Between my two kids we have three build (oy!) and three study events (oy!). We have one build done, solid.  One build still in the design phase. One build that needs tweaking. Regionals is in two weeks.  Time to cram and build!!