Is this enough? (6th/7th grade)

Every day my daughter does:

Pre algebra (College of the Redwoods)

First Form Latin

Rod and Staff English 8

She also reads a lot, currently:

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Cheaper by the Dozen

The Trojan War (with the Memoria Press Guide)

Sense and Sensibility (read aloud)

Whatever Tamora Pierce book she is on, for fun. I've lost track.

She gets done maybe 2 to 3 times a week:

American History (Memoria Press 200 questions about American History book)

Science (Memoria Press Book of Trees)

Maybe once a week she does Memoria Press Famous Men of Greece with the guide. Also much less frequently is the Greek alphabet, for fun.

Everything is working fine.

If the stars align and we had no appointments or craziness she does a few lessons in AAS 3 with me for remedial spelling.

I want to add WWS1 as soon as I have the money to purchase it.

I'm not sure if this is enough. She turns 12 in December and wants to count this year as seventh grade. If this is seventh grade I feel like high school is looming and I'm freaking out. She really really wants to do MFW AHL after next year when she will be in 8th grade "on paper," which is a year ahead of my schedule.

I feel like she could get more done during the day but she struggles with getting up in the morning, doesn't like to do school after dinner, and she has 6 dance classes a week. (One Tues, 2 Wed, 1 Thurs, 2 Sat) I also request her help from time to time with the toddler and chores. This pregnancy is exhausting me and all I want to do is rest. My toddler wants to dump out entire boxes of cheerios and stomp on them.

She only got her daily things done this morning and I'm trying not to freak out. Am I over thinking it? Is it like with toddler diets where you don't look at what they ate during the day, you look at their entire week?

Edit: I guess I'm just afraid that she won't be ready for high school work on time. This year is my pregnancy, and next year she will have another sibling to distract her.

Could you let her do MFW AHL next year, even if she's in seventh grade then?

She sounds like she's ahead in everything, anyway. I would worry less about grade and just call her in what grade she'd be according to her age, and then just give her any materials (regardless of the grade stamped on the package) that she's ready for. I don't really believe it is good to skip grades, unless the child is super-gifted. I guess I just don't think 16yo ought to have the pressure of going away to college (though I absolutely believe those capable should take courses, just at home).

ETA: Well, that was not a super-clear paragraph! LOL

What I mean is that I think kids need to work at the level they are at, and you just call it whatever grade they'd be in public school, even if you are using things above or below the actual grade level. I think 12 years of school (plus K) before leaving the home, even if the upper years consist of college-level courses, is best for most children. I think they just need time to mature, brain-wise.

So I guess I wouldn't think twice about using an eighth grade program like MFW, in seventh grade, if my child was ready for it. It wouldn't have any bearing on when high school level material would be offered.

• Like 3

Could you let her do MFW AHL next year, even if she's in seventh grade then?

She sounds like she's ahead in everything, anyway. I would worry less about grade and just call her in what grade she'd be according to her age, and then just give her any materials (regardless of the grade stamped on the package) that she's ready for. I don't really believe it is good to skip grades, unless the child is super-gifted. I guess I just don't think 16yo ought to have the pressure of going away to college (though I absolutely believe those capable should take courses, just at home).

I guess I could, maybe. I already asked her to read the sample online of the Notgrass text that MFW includes, and she liked it. She has been asking to do Rome to Reformation next year though.

Edit: it'll be RtoR in seventh and AHL in eighth. She is being insistent.

In my head I thought ninth grade work meant in ninth grade. I should have known better. What you said makes perfect sense.

I would keep records of any high school level work that she does in middle school just in case you decide you want to count it for high school later.

• Like 2

Some kids do high school work before high school. Others have struggles in some areas & their work (in that subject) is below-high-school-level even though their grade level might actually show high school.

If your kid is reading some good meaty works (age appropriate & not just mind-candy), doing math at the level & pace she can understand, and learning to write better and longer (if appropriate), she will be ready for 'high school level' work.

See Nan's Words of Wisdom on what it is completely appropriate to struggle to do during 8th grade.

• Like 1