Menu

X-Post: EquippingMinds curriculum has anyone used it? Reviews?

I was rereading the first quarter 2015 HSLDA magazine.  There was an interesting article on processing speed, working memory and games to test and improve them.  This time I noticed that the author developed a curriculum so I thought I'd check it out.  It looked really quite interesting.  I've always thought the brain could be improved with exercises.  Has anyone used this?   What did you think?  

I wasn't sure where to put this.  It seems that the learning problems group might be likeliest to have use it.  But, then they also said that it is used in G&T classes, and with adults.  

Note:   I'd originally put this in K-8 curriculum, but someone suggested I post it here instead.  

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/565288-curriculum-from-equippingmindscom-anyone-use-it-thoughts/

• Like 1

I haven't used her materials, but I have a few observations.  Here's a list Equipping Minds | Resources | Autism Speaks  of some of the things (different therapies and interventions) they use at their practice.  If you look at her site, the price you pay for the cognitive materials ($199 for a kit, for instance) is getting you only the *cognitive* portion of that list.  You aren't getting the EyeQ software she uses, her methodology for working on reflexes, the sound therapy, etc. etc.  So that's the first thing to consider.

Next, if you go to FB and look up Equipping Minds, she puts out more there, including articles on how to use simple games like Spot It for cognitive enhancement.  She also has videos on youtube.  

I think her cognitive therapies look reasonable.  I think anything done with games is great.  Her games seem thoughtfully developed with an understanding of what she's targeting and why.

I think if you're comfortable with the price of the materials and recognize you're getting only cognitive therapy ideas, NOT the complete set of what they do at EM, you could be happy.  I think there's always the danger, when buying a set of materials, that the starting point will be too high for your student, that your student might need smaller steps or modifications.  That can be an issue.  But as far as what's in it, looks fine!

• Like 1