Menu

Favorite Spelling Curriculum

We are doing copywork and studied dictation (one longer passage per week), but we are also memorizing the spelling rules this year. Like you, I wanted my kids to know rules as to why things are spelled the way they are instead of just guessing. We pick one rule a week to memorize and this approach seems to be working very well for my kids.

• Like 2

I've used SO MANY spelling curricula and while they've had success in the program, it's never translated to better spelling in their regular work.  This year we switched to Spelling You See.  It's very different.  There are no rules, no lists, no spelling tests.  We've been using it 6 weeks and it's working!  There has been a definite notable increase in correct spelling in their regular writing for the 2nd and 4th graders and a little for the 8th grader (who has dyslexia and dysgraphia so that's HUGE).  I'm actually surprised how much it is working because it is so different.  I reviewed it on my blog yesterday https://thefamilywho.wordpress.com/2015/10/05/spelling-you-see-review/(no compensation whatsoever for my review; I chose and bought the curriculum myself).

I love Spelling Power.  It goes over the phonetics so dd has learned to hear the sounds.  The other nice thing is that it takes 15 minutes max to complete each day, this way it has not been overwhelming for dd.  Spelling was her worst subject but since starting this program a few years ago I have seen tremendous improvement.

I've used SO MANY spelling curricula and while they've had success in the program, it's never translated to better spelling in their regular work.  This year we switched to Spelling You See.  It's very different.  There are no rules, no lists, no spelling tests.  We've been using it 6 weeks and it's working!  There has been a definite notable increase in correct spelling in their regular writing for the 2nd and 4th graders and a little for the 8th grader (who has dyslexia and dysgraphia so that's HUGE).  I'm actually surprised how much it is working because it is so different.  I reviewed it on my blog yesterday https://thefamilywho.wordpress.com/2015/10/05/spelling-you-see-review/(no compensation whatsoever for my review; I chose and bought the curriculum myself).

Just curious as to how your dysgraphic child is handling the copywork - is he typing the text, or spending the time writing it out?  Or are you adapting it somehow?  I'm interested as I have a 7th grade dyslexic/dysgraphic as well.

Sorry to hijack, OP!

Just curious as to how your dysgraphic child is handling the copywork - is he typing the text, or spending the time writing it out?  Or are you adapting it somehow?  I'm interested as I have a 7th grade dyslexic/dysgraphic as well.

Sorry to hijack, OP!

He's writing it by hand.  I don't worry about neat handwriting - his is atrocious and that's fine (the 4th grader I do instruct to use good handwriting).  He's actually gotten faster at the physical act of writing doing it.  The copywork is really not very long each day.  It's a full page, but the font size is pretty large.

• Like 1

We are doing copywork and studied dictation (one longer passage per week), but we are also memorizing the spelling rules this year. Like you, I wanted my kids to know rules as to why things are spelled the way they are instead of just guessing. We pick one rule a week to memorize and this approach seems to be working very well for my kids.

I like this idea.  What resource do you use for the spelling rules?  I switched my 5th grader to just dictation this year, but would love to incorporate the rules as well.

I like this idea. What resource do you use for the spelling rules? I switched my 5th grader to just dictation this year, but would love to incorporate the rules as well.

We are using the rules from Reading Lessons through Literature since that is what I am using to teach my younger boys to read. I'm thinking they may be available with the free sample of RLTL on Lulu.com. If not, they are very similar to the Logic of English spelling rules.

• Like 1

It's probably a bit premature to give a wholehearted endorsement here, but my son (age 9) just started Phonetic Zoo this week and he loves it. We were doing plain old Seton Spelling, which has worked well for my daughter, but he found it pretty boring and wasn't retaining a lot. He likes PZ because he gets to wear headphones and he knows the lesson will only take a few minutes a day. (He could spend 20 or 30 minutes when it was filling in a workbook page.) He mastered the first list in 3 days and told me that spelling is now his favorite subject.

My only con so far, which doesn't seem to bother my ds but would potentially be distracting for me, is the voice of one of the narrators. He has a slightly unusual "back of the mouth" sound to his voice. It's hard for me to describe well, but I'm a little noise sensitive and I had a hard time getting past it. I only mention it because I almost had buyers remorse when I listened to the introductory track. Again, it doesn't seem to bother my son at all, so maybe I'm just being too sensitive!

• Like 1