Menu

Spelling and Vocabulary a la Charlotte Mason?

sagira

In preparation for next year (first year), I'm wondering if I should follow Charlotte Mason's plan of exclusive copywork, narration and dictation and lots of living books to accomplish great spelling and vocabulary. I guess it makes me a bit nervous to see everyone's spelling programs and such. However, I shouldn't be surprised as this is a classical ed board.

Anyone not using formal spelling and vocabulary programs for the early grades (1st-4th)? Any experiences delaying these two?

Is there a Spelling and Vocabulary program combined out there that closely resembles CM's method of doing things?

I will be using Primary Language Lessons by Emma Serl for grammar in 2nd.

BTW, I've always been great at spelling -- in any language I know, but I don't know if my children will be :D

I am not using a spelling or vocabulary curriculum. I intend to use a spelling curriculum only if either of my kids shows a real problem with spelling. I remember having a spelling book in grammar school and I remember feeling very frustrated with it. Half the words I already knew and the other half I didn't care about. I would rather that my kids learn spelling the way that has been working for them so far: asking me the words they want to know and learning words that are meaningful to them. I believe that a good grounding in phonics will go far in helping them learn to spell and I am happy with what they are getting from Explode the Code in terms of spelling as they are learning to read.

I also plan never to use a vocabulary program. I think Latin will help with vocabularly quite a bit, but I also feel that my kids have amassed huge vocabularies just by talking with adults who don't talk down to them and (equally importantly) being read to for hours a day. I remember having vocabulary words when I was in school and the net result for me was often that I *knew* what a word meant but because I couldn't memorize the exact definition given by the teacher, I panicked and felt like I didn't know what the word meant. A prime example is "isthmus." I knew what an isthmus was long before it was on my geography vocab list, but when I encountered an explicit, exact definition, I suddenly "didn't know" what an isthmus was.

Just my .02, take it or leave it.

Tara

We're going to finish ETC (books 7 & 8) and then use Simply Spelling by Laurie Hicks which is the closest approach to CM's spelling that I can comfortably find and use. I think it will go well. Other spelling programs that say they are inline with CM teachings are Spelling Wisdom (ala Simply Charlotte) and Queen's Spelling through Copywork http://queenhomeschool.com/bookpage/bookframe.html

I know a few use studied dictation on their own, like Linda Fay wrote here.

We dropped Spelling Workout this past year in 2nd grade to pursue this academic path, I don't have any experience to tell you how it's gone but after the research I've done, I think it will be successful. If not, we have time to change. :)

We don't use a formal vocabulary program until almost high school, then use a root program.

I was doing SWR for spelling for youngest, and found she was learning to spell words she never had any need to spell, and not the ones she needed. So I recently switched to the Spelling Plus dictation book, and we are loving it. She is really retaining the words as well, because it spirals, and constantly reviews words already learned. The words are also much more age appropriate.

Thanks to all! I'm really impressed by Simply Spelling, and I like Queen's too. I may end up using one of them in 3rd grade if ds needs spelling practice (which will probably be the case). Hmm.. we'll be doing copywork, dictation, reading lots of good books and learning Spanish and Latin. We'll also be using Intermediate Language Lessons and afterwards Voyages in English. I don't see the need for vocabulary until high school unless I see a dearth in verbal expression ;)