Menu

Is "Figuratively Speaking" consumable?

You could have them write in it, but it is not necessary. We did it orallly and didn't write in the book so we were fine with just one copy. Depends how you use it, I guess.

Yes to this. I had her write out a few pages of answers to stick in her portfolio, but mostly we did it orally. It lends itself well to discussion.

It's all workbook. There is a paragraph or two explaning the topic, then the rest of each topic is all workbook activities.

I don't think you'd need a copy at all. You can sit close enough to read the couple of paragraphs together and then your student will be working exercises.

• Like 2

It's all workbook. There is a paragraph or two explaning the topic, then the rest of each topic is all workbook activities.

I don't think you'd need a copy at all. You can sit close enough to read the couple of paragraphs together and then your student will be working exercises.

Thank you for sharing.

This will round out Jill Pike's lessons nicely for dd.  She needs to practice a skill for it to sink in, and I think w/out this extra workbook practice, she'd miss a lot in annotation.  

Thank you for sharing.

This will round out Jill Pike's lessons nicely for dd. She needs to practice a skill for it to sink in, and I think w/out this extra workbook practice, she'd miss a lot in annotation.

I think it's a lovely supplement, or even used as the only thing for literary terms.

OP, sounds like your questions was answered, but I just wanted to put this out there for any future readers ...

The book has a copyright release in the front that says you can photocopy for use in your classroom, so you can re-use it for multiple kids. Just FYI :)

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing.

This will round out Jill Pike's lessons nicely for dd.  She needs to practice a skill for it to sink in, and I think w/out this extra workbook practice, she'd miss a lot in annotation.  

If you mean annotating literature, I don't remember thinking it will help with that.  It will help with understanding literary terms. 

I don't recall Figuratively Speaking covering annotation at all.

I've had one copy since my teens were in upper/mid logic stage, and it's now on it's 3rd and 4th kids. I'd vote for not consumable. We discuss it orally as we read it, or they read and report back to me orally. Then we apply it to stories we've already read and/or watched.  The only parts I'd want them to write out are not even worth copying; we'd just grab lined filler paper.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing.

If you mean annotating literature, I don't remember thinking it will help with that.  It will help with understanding literary terms. 

I don't recall Figuratively Speaking covering annotation at all.

How I think it will help the annotation exercises in IEW's windows is that she'll have more terms in her working skill set to find when annotating.  Basically, she'll be able to solidify knowledge of literary terms as we come across them in Teaching the Classics and Windows, and then she'll (hopefully=) make more meaningful annotations.  We shall see!