Menu

Can anyone recommend a book that...

Can anyone recommend a book that...

* Is about fairies,

* Would not be terrifying or heartbreaking for a sensitive kid,

* And is decent quality children's lit?

DD has requested a fairy book for school. She gobbles up the Rainbow Magic fairy books as independent reading, but she knows they're not "school book" quality. (For reference, her last few school books have been Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Trumpet of the Swan, and The Secret Garden, and she's currently reading Mr. Popper's Penguins.) She asked if there's "maybe a bigger book about fairies that I could read for school."

I asked our reference librarian for ideas, but she wasn't able to come up with anything that would work. I figure if there's a book out there that meets the requirements, the Hive will know about it. :)

Thanks!

I wanted my daughter to read Wildwood. Yours sounds a lot like mine. But mine immediately decided Wildwood was "too scary". Just a heads up. That said... I thought it was really cool and hope that someday she'll read it.

Edit: Mine was eight when she put down Wildwood, but she read (of all things, and no I did not realize she was reading DSD's summer reading) of Mice and Men. So I don't know what is going on there. 

• Like 1

I didn't read Peter Pan all the way through, but I think it was a year+ ago that I was looking at it for DD, so I don't remember if it was because I just didn't think she was ready for it or because I thought it was boring.  Maybe I should check it out again.

Tsuga, I wonder if she just didn't understand Of Mice and Men?  That one was disturbing to me, and I read it as an adult!  Looking at Wildwood on Amazon, I think it would probably be too much for DD right now, though maybe in a couple of years she might enjoy it. 

She may like herbfairies.com. unfortunately, it's only available to purchase in either march or april.

My kids love it. There are 12 or 13 books in all. One new fairy a month. I've only read 4 so far. It's not scary, I don't know about good quality literature, but it's not bad. It's not like Sweet Valley High. I am not familiar with the other books mentioned in this thread.

This curriculum also comes with recipes, a couple of coloring pages and a magazine about each fairy.

You can of course read all 12 books in one setting, but th3 fun part is reading the book then trying to find the plant and make the recipe. They provide a calendar of different activities for each fairy. I actually haven't used this part.

It's available in pdf or audio form.

Something to think about come spring.

• Like 1

My daughter loved  Lynne Reid Banks' The Fairy Rebel; however, I can't speak to content.  Here are a couple of brief reviews from the Amazon page.

From Publishers Weekly

From the author of The Indian in the Cupboard and its sequel comes a story of earthly enchantment. When Tiki, a fairy, is "earthed" on Jan's human foot, both are terrified. But because Jan, unlike most adults, believes in fairies, the two become friends. When Tiki learns that Jan is sad because she and her husband Charles can't have children, the flighty fairy performs a bit of forbidden magic. Her act provokes the wrath of the wicked Fairy Queen, but Jan's daughter Bindi grows up to be a healthy eight-year-old, receiving magic presents every year from Tiki. Then the Fairy Queen exacts her revenge on the family, and it is only through the combined powers of humans and fairies that the evil ruler is defeated forever. Told in the grand fashion of early 20th century fairy tales, Banks's story is a comfortable, old-fashioned read (with numerous witty asides) about a naughty but courageous fairy and her loving mortal friends. Illustrations not seen by PW. Ages 10-up.
Copyright 1988 Reed Business Information, Inc.

From School Library Journal

Grade 3-5 Jan and Charlie long for a child but are unable to have one. In the garden, Jan meets Tiki, an unusual, spirited fairy who prefers jeans to pink frills and converses with Jan in spite of the anti-person rules of the tyrannical Fairy Queen. Tiki decides to use her powers to help Jan. However, she mixes up the requests for brown hair and blue eyes and must appeal to the Queen for more power. The Queen punishes Tiki by locking her in a hornets' nest. Thus begins a tale of magic, suspense, and adventure. The baby, Bindi, is born with 20 magic blue hairs at the nape of her neck, but the Fairy Queen and her evil hornet henchmen are an ever-present threat. Banks has woven yet another successful fantasy. Her management of detail and character create a tense atmosphere. The magical elements are consistent throughout, and the descriptions of the Queen and the hornets are realistically frightening. As a result, the suspense builds to a tingling climax that resolves in a satisfying conclusion. A compelling fantasy that will appeal to children, whether read aloud or alone. Marion B. Hanes, New York Public Library

Regards,

Kareni