Menu

Breast cancer awareness month with your kiddos

summerhauss

Hi all,

Happy breast cancer awareness month! I must share to you all that I was a victim of breast cancer in 2010 and happy to say I survived it BUT what I have struggled with is finding the correct ways to explain the importance of this month to my children so when my fellow homeschool friend suggested this math activity I thought this would be a good opportunity to celebrate the month and bring awareness into our home, plus it's a free printable, hassle free! http://www.educents.com/think-pink-math-and-literacy-activities.html

What ways are you doing to bring awareness into your homes?

For little ones, discussing how an event is important to me/us as a family or how a condition affects us seems to be enough to get them interested but they won't be aware of what that event really is, what it really means to people, and so on until they are older. 

I don't really intend to get into much at the ages they are now beyond cancer is a condition some people have, it comes in many forms, some can be treated and some can't yet, the treatment is hard and some choose to stop treatment or have to stop treatment. It has come up alongside many other conditions family and friends have [their uncle had to stop treatment repeatedly so this was carefully discussed when they'd heard about it]. I discuss my own disabilities regularly but on that sort of level as well - it happens to people, here is what is going on with me now, here is how I manage, and so on.  I wouldn't get into a deep level of detail yet just as I wouldn't discuss premature ovarian failure in detail [which I have and runs very strongly in my family] or uterus cancer [which also runs in the family] or discuss in detail bowel cancer [which their uncle died from in August] until they're able to discuss that level of information. 

Even trying we couldn't teach awareness of all of cancers let alone all conditions:  the wide range of symptoms, how to check, that everyone should check - even the boys when it comes to breast cancer,  tests and statistics on them, how it is currently treated and statistics on those and how they've changed (and discussion on scams), life during and afterwards,  -- there is a lot that can be done to raise someone's understanding and knowledge of it, but more for teens+. Starting with those in the family history, common symptoms and self-tests, when to see a doctor, places for reliable information of wider range and stories by survivors and hospice staff is likely the groundwork I would want to lay once they are old enough to discuss it. I imagine many tears when this comes. 

I would also teach as groundwork not to trust WebMD or Google MD where everything is life threatening....