Menu

multi-sensory math curric for child with no short term memory?

I started this thread on the main board, but I should have come here first. :) 

We have been HS since December. My son lacks a short term memory. We actually removed it during a brain surgery. So, no short term or working memory. His visual memory, however, is good. And, I am seeing that with rote memorization, slowly, eventually, some things bank into long term. Math is a huge struggle. He can memorize basic facts(like single digit multiplication), but when he has a problem with more than one step(borrowing/regrouping more than once in 2-3 digit subtraction), he missteps, forgets. And, I am finding that he does not understand the mathematical concepts at all. He does not know why he is borrowing in subtraction. He doesn't understand why he carries the 1 in addition. He doesn't see how division and multiplication are related. He can understand whether to use subtraction or addition or multiplication in word problems. In working with him, I already know that a rote memory approach is best for math, and mastery, not spiral. I am actually considering Kumon for the rote memorization/practice he needs. BUT, I need a curric that addresses his conceptual problems. 

What I am looking for his a multi-sensory math program that will help him understand the concepts of math. The WHY, HOW. Etc. His visual memory is good, so I need something that incorporates the senses. Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

Maybe Miquon might be a good fit? It would show the concepts purely visually, in a way he might be able to grasp. It helped my DD understand the relationship between multiplication and division much earlier than she would have been able to if she'd been given the numbers on paper.

The Al-abacus we use in Right Start is also great for visualizing two-digit addition and subtraction. 

Have you looked into Ronit Bird? 

Side note, I always think of short term memory as being located in the pre-frontal cortex, but if your son had that area removed, that would mean that he had a lobotomy.  I had no idea that was still done.  Just taking note of my own personal ignorance, that's all.

Hmm, I didn't read that very carefully.  You said rote.  BJU, in the old editions at least, had very direct, very traditional instruction.  They just did a really good job of parsing through which steps, which operations, why.  

If you're looking at RB, what you might do is write her.  You can find the contact through her web page.  I've written her quite a bit and she's fabulous.  She might have some ideas for you.  Or if she doesn't, well at least you can clarify which materials you might pursue of hers.

Maybe Miquon might be a good fit? It would show the concepts purely visually, in a way he might be able to grasp. It helped my DD understand the relationship between multiplication and division much earlier than she would have been able to if she'd been given the numbers on paper.

The Al-abacus we use in Right Start is also great for visualizing two-digit addition and subtraction. 

thanks-will look into miquon. :) 

Have you looked into Ronit Bird? 

Side note, I always think of short term memory as being located in the pre-frontal cortex, but if your son had that area removed, that would mean that he had a lobotomy.  I had no idea that was still done.  Just taking note of my own personal ignorance, that's all.

He had a resection of his left temporal lobe. Looking at RB, thanks

Hmm, I didn't read that very carefully.  You said rote.  BJU, in the old editions at least, had very direct, very traditional instruction.  They just did a really good job of parsing through which steps, which operations, why.  

If you're looking at RB, what you might do is write her.  You can find the contact through her web page.  I've written her quite a bit and she's fabulous.  She might have some ideas for you.  Or if she doesn't, well at least you can clarify which materials you might pursue of hers.

thanks for the info-looking at RB right now. :) 

Probably any program with manipulatives might work.  I prefer MUS blocks because you can flip them over to the hollow side and see the negative number instantly.  You are probably going to want to start using math mnemonics to help with procedure.  Ronit Bird's Overcoming Difficulties with Number is a good support manual because it teaches mental bridging, lattice multiplication, and the partial quotient method.  She also teaches the area model which easily translates to conceptual algebra concepts which are promoted by James Tanton

I started this thread on the main board, but I should have come here first. :)

We have been HS since December. My son lacks a short term memory. We actually removed it during a brain surgery. So, no short term or working memory. His visual memory, however, is good. And, I am seeing that with rote memorization, slowly, eventually, some things bank into long term. Math is a huge struggle. He can memorize basic facts(like single digit multiplication), but when he has a problem with more than one step(borrowing/regrouping more than once in 2-3 digit subtraction), he missteps, forgets. And, I am finding that he does not understand the mathematical concepts at all. He does not know why he is borrowing in subtraction. He doesn't understand why he carries the 1 in addition. He doesn't see how division and multiplication are related. He can understand whether to use subtraction or addition or multiplication in word problems. In working with him, I already know that a rote memory approach is best for math, and mastery, not spiral. I am actually considering Kumon for the rote memorization/practice he needs. BUT, I need a curric that addresses his conceptual problems. 

What I am looking for his a multi-sensory math program that will help him understand the concepts of math. The WHY, HOW. Etc. His visual memory is good, so I need something that incorporates the senses. Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

OK, good visual memory, and you're seeing slow but steady success with rote memorization, and you want mastery not spiral.

You might want some hybrid of using Cuisenaire rods and Rod and Staff math with constant access to a math mini-office.  Miquon doesn't have enough drill for what you need,  BUT it might be worthwhile to introduce the topic using C-rods/Miquon and then immediately re-visit the topic in Rod & Staff.

Know what's funny?  As I was troubleshooting your dilemma, I think I may have stumbled on some ideas for my own DD's math journey.  I love how that works!  

• 2 weeks later...

ShapeMath is made for kids with good visual-spatial skills and poor working memory.  It has been around just a few years and there is no one on the board that I know of that's tried it except me and I think it's great.  I've been using it for a few months and my ds is making a lot of progress.  I hope you find something that works for you!