Menu

Shipping homemade rice krispie treats in college care packaegs?

Hoggirl

I have found a scrumptious recipe for salted caramel rice krispie treats. You make a salted caramel sauce on the stove (butter, dark brown sugar, whipping cream, little corn syrup, and salt), then stir in the mini marshmallows, then pour over rice kripies. I would LOVE to include these in a college care package to ds. Usually I bake things on Sundays, and his packages arrive for pick-up on Fridays after I mail them on Mondays. Any reason NOT to send these? Any thoughts on the best way to package them? I have done some googling and there have been issues of marshmallows melting and sticking to saran wrap if they are individually wrapped. That is how I usually send brownies - already cut, individually wrapped in cling wrap, and then packed into Ziploc bags. I was actually thinking of just pressing them into a disposable aluminum pan (the recipe calls for an 8 x 8), wrapping in Saran wrap, and just mailing the entire pan with a plastic knife. Not even cutting them myself.

Any and all experiences with and wisdom about such an endeavor would be greatly appreciated.

I was actually thinking of just pressing them into a disposable aluminum pan (the recipe calls for an 8 x 8), wrapping in Saran wrap, and just mailing the entire pan with a plastic knife. Not even cutting them myself.

This works great.  I have sent rice krispy treats this way many times and they arrive in great shape.

I always ship Priority Mail and the 8x8 and 9x13 pans fit perfectly in certain pre-printed boxes.

• Like 1

I have found a scrumptious recipe for salted caramel rice krispie treats. You make a salted caramel sauce on the stove (butter, dark brown sugar, whipping cream, little corn syrup, and salt), then stir in the mini marshmallows, then pour over rice kripies. I would LOVE to include these in a college care package to ds. Usually I bake things on Sundays, and his packages arrive for pick-up on Fridays after I mail them on Mondays. Any reason NOT to send these? Any thoughts on the best way to package them? I have done some googling and there have been issues of marshmallows melting and sticking to saran wrap if they are individually wrapped. That is how I usually send brownies - already cut, individually wrapped in cling wrap, and then packed into Ziploc bags. I was actually thinking of just pressing them into a disposable aluminum pan (the recipe calls for an 8 x 8), wrapping in Saran wrap, and just mailing the entire pan with a plastic knife. Not even cutting them myself.

Any and all experiences with and wisdom about such an endeavor would be greatly appreciated.

Send twice as much as you think she needs and keep hers in a secret hidden compartment (like in styrofoam "padding") that only she knows about so she can have some all to herself. ;)

• Like 2

When I was a kid these were not available prepackaged in stores--I think there was a recipe on the back of the Rice Krispies box to make them.

Unfortunately, however, I don't have a copy!

But my inclination would be to wrap them individually a aluminum foil.  It doesn't seem to stick like plastic wrap, and the packaging on the storebought ones looks that way.

• Like 1

I think you should make several batches of treats so you can try all of the different suggestions offered here, and then send them all off to my house so I can test them and see which wrapping method worked best.

I only offer this as a public service so your college kid isn't disappointed by poorly wrapped Rice Krispie treats, not because I plan to eat every single one of them.

I am such a giver.

:D

• Like 20

I think you should make several batches of treats so you can try all of the different suggestions offered here, and then send them all off to my house so I can test them and see which wrapping method worked best.

I only offer this as a public service so your college kid isn't disappointed by poorly wrapped Rice Krispie treats.

I am such a giver.

Thank God for you.

That is one of the biggest reasons kids leave college...poorly wrapped Rice Krispie treats.

:lol:

• Like 8

I only offer this as a public service so your college kid isn't disappointed by poorly wrapped Rice Krispie treats, not because I plan to eat every single one of them.

I am such a giver.

You're so thoughtful!

• Like 2