Menu

Dr. Hive - Go to doc or not?

skimomma

Dd had a cold 2.5 weeks ago.  It started with coughing and moved into running nose quickly.  She recovered to mostly her usual self within a few days.  But the nose has lingered on.  She is still mostly just very stuffy, not so much runny.  She cannot breathe through her nose which is interrupting her sleep.  She does not have headaches or face pain.  She tried using the neti pot but she is so stuffed up it will not run through.

Dd has always been a hanger-on when it comes to colds but it is usually a cough that lingers, not nose.

She does sometimes have allergies.

Do I take her to the clinic?  Is there any possible thing they could do or am I just wasting cash AND potentially exposing us to more viral goodies at the clinic?  

I guess that wouldn't be unusual during fall allergy time for us, so I'd hold off maybe til next week if there was no fever and she was otherwise up and around and happy.  And I might give allergy meds a try.  Both my kids have fall colds and/or allergy stuff going on right now.

If she feels fine, I'd try allergy meds (we like Zyrtec) for a few days and one of those nose sprays like Nasacort.  Also, something like Robitussin can really help to thin mucus so that it can drain more easily.  You can also lay warm washcloths across her face.

My daughter has very small sinuses that tend to get inflamed and don't drain.  So when she has a head cold, it can linger for a month.  Sometimes the only thing that will help is to get a very short-term prescription for a steroid like Prednisone, which usually does the trick within 48 hours.

Are you opening windows? I'd love to do that now that the weather is nice, but my allergic guys would be miserable. We still have to run a/c. Anyway, I agree with trying some allergy meds. Yes to both nasal and Sudafed. Hope she's better soon!

Ha ha!  No.  We are running the furnace....which probably contributes to allergies as well.