Menu

Accountability: 9/27-10/3

So glad surgery went well for your dd, MrsRobinson.

I've got to get everyone up early, and from the giggles and crashes in the boys' room, I don't think anyone is sleepy. That's not good. I'm not sleepy either. Also not good. 

But I'm going to set a good example and head to bed, then as soon as I've fooled everyone into going to sleep, I'll get out my notes and start working on my story again.  :tongue_smilie:

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!

• Like 4

Update on dd:

Surgery went smoothly. We are home now and she is asleep til her next dose of pain meds. Wow, its hard to see your child in that much pain but I'm so grateful for the technology that allowed her surgery to be minimally invasive and the doctors and nurses that took care of her today.

We are looking ahead at a permanent cast next week, cast and pin removal 3 weeks after that, then physical therapy. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and that schedule doesn't get stretched any further.

Thank you all for your encouraging words and prayers. They truly helped.

Great news, I hope it continues to go as smoothly.

• Like 3

Today's Plans:

All:

Math

Free Write

Start New read-aloud.... yet to be determined

phonics/spelling

nature study

cultural study- China

ds- 

RA- Unbroken- Illiad

grammar

family extras:

finish laundry(at least we made some progress last night- so I do better with meals and worse with laundry- ha!- I'd rather have good food anyway!)

figure out what to make for supper

walk/run

things I'm forgetting now

• Like 5

Mrs. Robinson, so glad the surgery went well.  Hope she rests well the next few days.

It's rainy here and I was going to run this morning.  I'm going to hold off on my shower and hope that I can do it later in the morning, which runs the risk of severely upsetting the school day.  But I'm going to try it anyway.  I also need to work one on one more with 12yo dd today as our time yesterday was cut short by outside activities.  I'm hoping our time will be productive and positive.  (Really, it feels more like a pull the covers up over the head and snuggle in kind of day.) 

• Like 6

Mrs Robinson, I'm glad to hear things went as well as can be expected!

Soror, you adding "things I'm forgetting now" to your list made me giggle :P

Critter, did you fall asleep or get up to work last night?

AnotherLyn, good luck on the leap out of bed - I hate those days! I allow myself a sleep in on Saturday morning. I even let the the big kids manhandle the toddler. There's always cereal all over the kitchen and a saggy diaper to deal with but I think it's worth it. I need something to look forward to the rest of the week when my alarm goes off at 520 lol

AFM, no school today! Actually, it's kind of school but all outside stuff for the kids. My partner has an appt at 10 so we need to be out of here by 9. Yikes. Then dd8 has an assessment hour with the local O-G tutor at 1030, then the big kids have piano at 1230, then the older three have swimming at 2. Busy busy! Luckily dd8 had girl guides last night so partner did the grocery shopping for the week already, so the only errands we have are to drop off recycling, visit the toy library and the book library and maybe go to Canadian Tire for light bulbs and laundry soap. We'll be home by 5 but I have no idea what to do for dinner. Crockpot would be awesome. . .

Have a great day ladies :)

• Like 6

Have fun on your town trip today Tawlas!

Today has been a nice comfy fall day, everything has been wibbly wobbly with the schedule but it has flowed fairly smoothly and organicly so that works for me.

So, I decided to ask them again about the 90 Second Newberry, we'd only discussed it a bit and it seemed to keep getting put off our schedule. We tackled it with gusto this morning. We made character and plot outlines, assigned roles and began scouting out places for scenes and discussing costumes. It seems that the kids are anxious to get it done all at once, so it won't be some award winner I'm sure but they are excited so that's good for me. 

No run today, ds was sore from riding his bike to sell popcorn last night so we had a leisurely walk to the grandparents getting prop supplies and asking them to use their house for scenes.

Still to do:

Free write

China studies

read-aloud- Ginger Pye

nature studies

chores: laundry

supper

I felt like we had done a chunk until I list the things still to do... We spent an hour on working on the Newberry Project so that cut into time. Aw well, we're working away and we're enjoying the day.

• Like 3

Thursday :

Math - Lots of attitude from someone who was not me, but we got through it.

Vocab - none today because she got done for the week yesterday.

Writing - I've noticed this before.  She can write a beautiful paragraph but if you ask her to provide synonyms for words to "dress it up" more, she falls apart.  So, today's assignment asked her to come up with more vivid or descriptive words to replace plain nouns, verbs and adjectives.  Her substitutions were things like "told" instead of "said" for a verb.  Or "went up" instead of "climbed".  I just have more vivid words leap into my head so I don't really know how to walk her through this to help her improve.  (This was even after I finally told her to get out a thesaurus).

Science - we're flakes.

History of Science - the project we've been working on the last couple of days did not work.  Frustrating.  But we know how it was supposed to work.

History/Lit.  - read another chapter of Sherlock Holmes

Spanish - I really need to get a Spanish grammar.

How to Think Like Sherlock - did a speed reading test.  

• Like 5

So, on my list we did our Nature Study drawings and as we were finishing we heard a loud crash that was a small tree falling on the house. That was a wee bit distracting and we spent the rest of the lovely afternoon out and about cleaning that and various other things outside that had been neglected, we planted our milkweed, hunted the bugs that killed the tree and studied the wax moths that destroyed one of dh's beehives. The kids also played survivor, ds manned the pole saw(this is manual) to chop down some of the smaller hanging branches which we carried off and had an all around fun time with some work thrown in too. I did throw some meat in the crockpot too, so I just have to figure out what to do with it. I'm currently enjoying blissful silence as dh has taken the kids to town for activities. I should be cleaning... but I just realized I was tired when I sat down.

• Like 5

Critter, did you fall asleep or get up to work last night?

Worked until after ten, then set the manuscript aside and fell asleep. I'll probably do the same thing tonight. I'm bound and determined to get this story running again after a long downtime. 

School tomorrow for us since we didn't have school today. We've got a bunch of tests and quizzes to get through, then we will hit the library.

• Like 6

We flaked again today.  DD had her first ever horseback riding lesson.  She did amazing.  She got led around on the lunge line (instructor controlling the horse from the ground in a circle for those of you non-horse types) at both a walk and a sitting trot.....with just a bareback pad.  Then, the last 5 minutes of the lesson the instructor let her take the reins and control the horse through a couple of changes of directions and halts.  So, I took DD to lunch and for a treat to celebrate the first lesson. 

We picked up GS early....came home, and I promptly crawled into a bed and crashed for two hours.  I couldn't help it, I was dragging so badly.  I don't feel badly except that I have zero energy, physical or mental.  I'm not sure if it is general allergies since the weather is starting to turn....or if I'm adjusting to my horse allergy.  I'm sure the soreness from my riding is exacerbating everything.  We ended the day with a much needed grocery shopping trip.  I think we'll skip swim in the morning and sleep in......

Stefanie

• Like 7

Hi ladies, I haven't been very accountable the last few days but we have been working. Between school and dropping my olders off at jobs, classes and flaky internet I'm having a hard time getting here. We got everything on our list done for the week, we had a wonderful co op day today, my youngest had his first music lesson on Tuesday.

Mrs. Robinson, I hope your dad continues to heal.

Tawlas, I hope you enjoyed your day in town

Jean we've been using Khan this week and I've been getting some attitude too, even though he's learning.

• Like 6

Stefanie- take care of yourself, I hope you are feeling better soon.

Today's Plans:

9- DD1's Last sewing class

-Drop Jot it Down and Partnership Writing by Office Depot to bound

9:30- Meet robotics team, ds is going with them for a field trip

- go by the library to drop off some books

-go by the dollar tree for some contact paper for project

-go by Aldi's for snack/picnic lunch

- hang out at the park- hopefully by 10:30 -11

1pm- pick up dd at sewing, hopefully meet Robotic team shortly thereafter for ds- take the kids for some kind of treat

Head home and veg :)

• Like 6

Fifteen minutes to lift off and I need a second cup of tea to get me going. We have a standard day ahead: French (new unit), Latin (quiz on second person pronouns), Math (Quiz 1 in LU 504), Spelling (test over words from the week), Grammar (Diagramming prepositional phrases), Writing (working on the drafts from Wednesday), History/Science/Geography/Literature-all repeats from Wednesday. Then I've got to round up a billion library books.

• Like 6

Morning :)

Friday Fun Day here. I think. We'll see how fun it actually is lol. Draw Write Now, Home Art Studio and a documentary. I don't have any history or science doc. lined up so we might just watch a chunk of Human Planet.

I'd still like to do a regular dose of math and reading with them all as well. So that really brings the fun factor down :P

Pouring rain, chillly and foggy outside today. Glum. But I have a community meeting at a neighbor's house after supper and a ladies' game night at another neighbours after the kids are in bed. Really looking forward to that, should be a great time! Tomorrow is our day off and dd8 is going into town to sell girl guide cookies and ds8 is going to spend that time at a friend's house so they're both looking forward to it.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 6

That's why I say Friday is "Fun Day" We all have trouble hauling ourselves into a full day of school. At least most of it is. But man, I had a lot of blustering and fuming over math too. But really, I don't blame her. Figuring out elapsed time is tricky! *I* think it's tricky and I've been doing it for three decades. And I think we're going to skip Farenheit in measuring. She's just barely grasping negative Celcius numbers, I don't want to confuse that with a different scaled thermometer. No one (except for ( great) grandparents) uses Farenheit up here any more. Not worth it. Which also means I think we caught up from falling behind in September :)

As you can see math was somewhat torturous today, especially for dd8. Lunch and outside play break now and just reading left! Going to grain the cow and chill with a cup of tea.

• Like 5

Tiring day here and not because of the little girl with the broken arm. Mil is here today "helping." She brought the kids sodas which had them bouncing off the walls and that isn't great for dd in this splint rather than hard cast. She keeps picking up all the toys rather than occupying the baby, which would actually be helpful. I keep telling her those toys will be back out in 10 minutes and she says its OK she doesn't mind. She painstakingly put together a puzzle before putting it away only to watch ds crash into the shelf 2 minutes later, knocking all the puzzles to the floor. It was so hard not to laugh at that one!! And she keeps cleaning up the cups!!! If someone walks 5 feet away from their cup, she dumps it in the sink and puts the cup in the dishwasher!! Do you know how much water, milk and juice we'd go through if I did that all the time?!

I don't mean to sound ungrateful. She's an awesome mil and does help in so many ways. I just needed to vent!!

And dd is feeling much better and will be doing school work next week whether she likes it or not!!

• Like 6

Friday :

I declared today a "Science Intensive" day where we did all the week's chemistry experiments.  This sounds a lot better than "Quick We'd Better do All the Experiments that we Flaked Off on Earlier in the Week" day.   The experiments were ok - except for the last one which still hasn't done what the book said it would do.  

Also - the nice ladies on the high school board helped ds18 out in physics.  I just might get him through this class afterall.  

• Like 6

Blah. dd had another frustrating round in REWARDS. Mostly because she refused to try and understand the instructions on the review sheet. When she gets frustrated she gets quite belligerant and rude. Sorted that out and the rest went pretty good. I tried to record her reading "Ivy and Bean" to send to a friend so I could better demonstrate where her reading difficulties lie, but she did pretty darn good today lol. Tough problem to have!

• Like 6

Mrs. Robinson- Oh, my goodness, that would drive me bonkers, I think I would have snapped. 

today was a lot longer day than I planned. Dd1's sewing teacher likes to chat and their project went long. Now, it seems that we are going to take a 2 week break and start again. The girls are loving it so much and the teacher is just so willing to share her knowledge and her time, we routinely go over but the price is the same $20 for an entire day of sewing class with just 2 of them, I've got to start working on sewing myself as she is at the verge of passing me up. I picked up a few things of fat quarters and precut blocks for some easy projects we can do on our own.

Ds' field trip went well I was told. I did some errands with the girls, which was a snap with 2 instead of 4. I got some unbelievable deals at Office Depot on close-out school supplies, now everyone has a big binder to put all their work in, instead of multiple small folders, and I only paid 50c each. I got us bigger people really nice journals too for $2, I wanted a bit of a common place book myself and dd1 had went through the journal I had bought her. I got my Bravewriter stuff bound, I originally had planned to just do Jot it Down with ds, as I already owned it but really it is for 5-8 and when I looked at Partnership Writing I felt it fit him better, technically age wise he is at the Faltering Ownership but (1) it wasn't on sale at Homeschool Buyers Co-Op and (2) ds liked the looks of it more anyway. 

I then ended up taking the girls to the playplace to BK playplace as it was too chilly in the am and I didn't dress us properly. It was good though they ran around with the other kids and I got time to read through Partnership Writing and re-read JiD. 

Tomorrow is the big race day for ds(and maybe dd)! It is super early (IMO!) at 7:45, I don't know if there are any prizes but we are just doing it for fun, especially as it is free to enter and our first race. DD has a tumbling class mid-morning, I plan to leave town by 12 when dd is done, they have a lot of free activities for the kids all day and it is cool but it is also one of these things that is so huge you get exhausted walking around and I'm not up to doing it all day.

I'm feeling majorly peeved and stressed right now. People expecting me to do things and then not being happy when I refuse to do it because I'm not getting any help. And then there is an issue with my Foraging Class I signed up for, I think it is still ok for me but it is just extra drama and I'm peeved.

• Like 6

I was an overachiever today and also did a "Literature Intensive".  We watched the first Sherlock Holmes movie with Robert Downy Jr. and Jude Law.  We compared it to Cumberbatch and Freeman's portrayals.  And we discussed the use of Steampunk in the movie and the modern setting in Sherlock.  And of course we did some comparison to the book, though we just started reading so couldn't do too much in that regard.  

• Like 8

I was an overachiever today and also did a "Literature Intensive".  We watched the first Sherlock Holmes movie with Robert Downy Jr. and Jude Law.  We compared it to Cumberbatch and Freeman's portrayals.  And we discussed the use of Steampunk in the movie and the modern setting in Sherlock.  And of course we did some comparison to the book, though we just started reading so couldn't do too much in that regard.  

Man, trying to make the rest of us feel bad. I would have loved to been in on that discussion, I've got so much to look forward to :) I'm only vaguely familiar with Steampunk and I've only read a bit of Sherlock but love Sherlock movie and tv shows, that's a tough call for me I love Downey and Cumberbatch both so much, but I think in the end the Freeman-Cumberbatch combo wins. 

• Like 4

Man, trying to make the rest of us feel bad. I would have loved to been in on that discussion, I've got so much to look forward to :) I'm only vaguely familiar with Steampunk and I've only read a bit of Sherlock but love Sherlock movie and tv shows, that's a tough call for me I love Downey and Cumberbatch both so much, but I think in the end the Freeman-Cumberbatch combo wins. 

It was a discussion with a 13 year old.  We didn't get too deep!  

• Like 4

Mrs. Robinson - Your MIL sounds almost exactly like mine. If you so much as pause in your eating to talk during dinner, she's asking "Are you done with that?" so she can clean it up. She's wonderful in numerous ways, but we're the type of people that like to keep the same cup and refill it all day (saves ice, too, which is necessary in the heat sink that is my area). When she visits, they're constantly disappearing. 

DD is currently at Open Gym (an extra 2 hours on top of her regular 2 hours of tumbling on Fridays) because she begged and begged to go. She got pretty much all her work done for the week, so I let her. I bought a "ballet class" video today and have been working through that, but it's been a long time since I've danced, and my feet are not nearly as strong as they were. I have to keep pausing during each exercise to work the cramps out. I need to practice guitar, and I've been riding the "I've got an owie and I'm not supposed to be doing anything with my arm" for too many days. I donated blood on Tuesday. Really, I would have been fine to practice Wednesday, or Thursday, or today...but no. Some days I'm worse than DD when it comes to getting things done that I don't want to.  :lol:

• Like 6

Run down of the week.

Dd did not get up as early as last week; therefore, she had a difficult time with completing work. It makes a huge difference in her attitude, accuracy, and ability to focus

She still likes chess club. I'm hoping that this will be a permanent weekly activity.

I finished the planning for October curriculum. She is going to read The Halloween Tree and Frankenstein. For writing, she is going to do the three week section on poetry in WWS I. Also, we will be listening to some Edgar Allen Poe. For science we are using an old living book called Fall is Here! And I matched up some Spectrum Science to some of the topics to make it a little more challenging. I wanted to match it with some nature study but my Dd is just not that type of gal. Then the regular stuff-- Latin, Bible, Spanish, math, and she will finish History of U.S. book nine. She will finish the history in the first week of October and then we will take a small break from history this month. Also, I think we will have a unschooled week the last week of October.

• Like 6

Aurelia, what video is it?  I also used to dance and would love to have something like that . . . 

Jean in Newcastle, 13 or not, the day sounded divine :)

As for me, I was on here 3 hours ago to try and post but got interrupted.  Since then I've cleaned the upstairs bathroom, pre-made a dozen ham, egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches, put a batch of pizza roll ups in the oven and baked a batch of cookies and zucchini bread.  All that's left to do is make the mac n cheese muffins which I'm leaving for my s/o to mix up.  This afternoon I need to get History organized for the week, look over writing and fill the kids' weekly binders and other odds and ends.   Thank goodness for "days off" lol

Oh!  And my library book is in at the library so that's exciting :)

• Like 8

Ballet Class with Victor Kabaniaev. It's definitely not a learn-to-dance video (which I was not looking for), there are no reminders to keep your knees over your toes or tuck your bottom in, but after nearly a decade of dance, I really didn't need them. It is a straightforward intermediate level dance class. Just FYI, the voice is dubbed in English, so the it doesn't always match his mouth movements because he was apparently speaking in Russian when the video was recorded. I think it's well done, and he goes through each exercise facing left and right as necessary, so you don't have to rewind to do the opposite side.

DD did math again today, plus art and handwriting - she's FINALLY starting to understand that to produce nice-looking work, she needs to take her time and focus on what she's doing. Handwriting took 15 minutes for a single page, but it looked SO much better than the chicken scratch she usually produces. Her art drawing was nice, too. Most of the time before, she would scrawl a drawing in 3 minutes or less, scribble some color and call it done. Today it was nearly 30 minutes and no color, but much nicer.

We went and saw The Martian as a family outing and DH (who had listened to the audio book) was really impressed. I thought it was well done, but didn't know the story beforehand. It takes a lot for a movie to impress him, he's almost invariably disappointed by whatever movie we go see, and he had LOVED the book, so he had high hopes even though he also expected the movie would likely be an awful adaptation (like Ender's Game). Shockingly, he loved the movie. So, if any of you have interest in seeing Matt Damon try to be rescued from space again (Interstellar, anyone?) I think it's worth it. There's even enough science that it might count as school enrichment. ;)

• Like 6

Tawlas- I need to sit down and cook some stuff up myself, that will be handy.

Aurelia- I hadn't even heard of the book or the movie, I'll have to keep that in mind, I enjoy space movies. My son is still working on neatness, goodness when we accomplish that goal it will be a fine day.

Yesterday the kids did their race, a bit disappointingly there was only a few other racers, when we observed before there was a ton of kids, I think the time change through people off. So, ds and the other kid in his class had the same time but the other kid was truly just a nose ahead. I was a bit annoyed as when they finished the guy said the time was the same but then the other guy said something about it messing things up and he gave ds 2nd, I guess they didn't plan for ties. Dd won for her division, as she was the only one. It was a good first race and ds is ready for more, now I need to keep a look at for future races. They don't want to do 5ks yet but 1 mile would be good and ds is excited about joining track in the spring, we did it a few years ago but it wasn't worth it then, spring is a good time anyway as we usually have a slower schedule then(no robotics then!). 

Anyway, otherwise the kids read some books and magazines-(Ask, Muse, Face and Dig came in yesterday). The girls have been working on sewing projects, dd2(not quite 6) is working on whip-stitching a simple pillow, I think I'll end up helping her with this as even with as small as it is it is a bit much for her, I had a smaller project but she wanted to do that. Dd1 has decided she is sewing presents for everyone this year. I found a simple plan I think I may try for a handbag for me. 

Dd1 also had tumbling and we took ds around to sell popcorn while she did that, I think we've got that mostly finshed up, yipee!

Today will be some housecleaning. I think I might KonMari my clothes :), maybe start that sewing project. Do some art projects for the girls, I finally have the contact paper for the leaf collages, dh went to the Dollar Tree while I went grocery shopping! We'll probably look at Art Tango too, we didn't do a lesson last week.

Ds will probably do a boatload of reading, cause that is what he does with free time :) He might do some programming too, although it depends on what they decide on the jig as to whether or not he can. I might have him go ahead and do his FLL research so it doesn't cut into school next week. 

All the kids will be cleaning rooms.

I have a bit of laundry, I keep getting almost caught up, but today is the day, we have no where to go!!!

• Like 5

Morning everyone!

I'm thinking I'm going to make a trip to Costco today, we're out of everything, but it's 2 1/2 hour drive. So another day of school missed. I wanted to go ysterday but couldn't work it out. The kids will all be home with dh and I think I'll leave a list of "assignments" for them to get through:

1 nature book entry

15 minutes playing "go to the dump" by Right Start

20 minutes spent reading

1 page of math review each

practice skip counting by 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10

listen through first three chapters of SOTW

listen through unit 8 of ecoutez parlez

review first 8 tracks of SSL

then I'd feel less stressed about taking today off. We're going to miss all of next week due to a trip out of town. blah. Life just needs to slow down a little. Hopefully that will be the last trip and we can finally settle into our days. . .

Happy learning all :)

• Like 4