Menu

Oh, Essential Oils

Butter

Yesterday my dad was having trouble getting on top of his post-op pain.  They had tried several drugs and they weren't working.  He couldn't be released to go home until they found an oral pain medication they could send him home on.  Eventually they discovered that breaking the pain cycle with IV meds into his port and then giving him a lower dose of oral Dilaudid more often worked.  He's home from the hospital now just a week post-op (which is super fast for the surgery he had).

When we were trying to find something that would work, I decided to crowdsource and asked on FB for oral pain medication the hospital could prescribe.

One person suggested Percocet.  Perfectly good suggestion, and we appreciated it, but not strong enough for the extensive surgery he had (140 stitches plus staples!).

Another person PM'd me a very long message with extremely useful information gathered from her experience after many surgeries deal with her MIL who was opiate resistant.  That information is exactly what we were looking for.

The other answers were... odd.

One suggested video games.  For a 70 year old man.  Who has never played a single video game in his life other than solitaire.

And then there were the two who suggested the DoTerra Morphine Bomb.  I explained it had to be something the hospital could prescribe.  One of them told me prescription meds are too dangerous and essential oils, being natural, have absolutely no side effects and work better than anything else.  Now, putting aside that ingesting that many drops of EOs makes me very, very uncomfortable, we've tried EOs for migraines and the fact is Excedrin Migraine just simply works better.  One woman insinuated that by allowing my dad to take prescription medication we were poisoning him.

I'm very glad EOs work for people.  Just don't put down people who choose to use something pharmaceutical.

• Like 8

I sometimes point out to people that if essential oils are as powerfully active in the body as people claim, they must necessarily have potentially dangerous side effects. Because molecules that kill bacteria, or numb pain, or cure cancer ALWAYS have more effects than the intended one.

Natural? Penicillin is natural. So is arsenic.

Sorry you got only a few helpful responses Butter.

I have recently had someone tell me that any mental health issues in my family could be cured through energy work. And "clearing" one person would clear everyone else in the family too because it works through generation lines. Whatever that means..,

• Like 9

I have recently had someone tell me that any mental health issues in my family could be cured through energy work. And "clearing" one person would clear everyone else in the family too because it works through generation lines. Whatever that means..,

I have a friend who is an energy healer.  When Ani was getting sicker and sicker a few years ago this friend asked if she could open a connection and "clear" her.  I said sure since my friend seemed so excited to do it and it certainly wouldn't hurt.  She got back to me a little bit later and said she had successfully connected to her and "cleared" her.  She said it was a virus and now she'd be fine.

Fast forward about a year and a half or so and my daughter was continuing to get sicker and sicker.  And then she was diagnosed with Celiac.  Went off gluten and like magic she became a healthy kid.  Yeah.  It wasn't a virus.  Of course, I've been told that essential oils would cure Celiac, too.

• Like 3

I can believe people suggest it. The way some people talk about them, I'm not sure how my dh's grandfather made it to almost 102 without ever using them. I'm sorry, but why would I trust my health to a person who is selling oils from a multi-level marketing kit?

I saw a picture of wedding flowers with essential oils on the table, and a person commented about them something like I bet Peace and Calm were among the oils. If you need Peace and Calm oils at your wedding, you might ought to reconsider.  ;)  :D

Praying your dad feels better!

• Like 4

I am pro-prescriptions and doctors and hospitals, but I will say that the only thing that has given me any real relief from morning sickness was an essential oil. I took a few drops in a shot glass of water and I'd be nausea free for a few hours. It wasn't meant to be used all the time, but was there when I needed it. This was after trying every other trick and prescription in the book. And yeah, my OB knew about it. 

I do think there's a lot of pushing of EOs, and I don't think they cure everything some people say they do, but I don't think they're all bad. 

I can believe people suggest it. The way some people talk about them, I'm not sure how my dh's grandfather made it to almost 102 without ever using them. 

This is an interesting comment considering the other thread going about the profits big pharma is making.  :laugh:

Not trying to start a fight, promise!

Essential oils can have massive side effects! Tea tree oil makes me break out lightly, lavender makes me nauseous. The idea that there is no side effect.... Ack! Think, brain, think! People can be allergic to apples. They can be allergic to your oil!

• Like 2

Maybe worth a try, but just maybe.

DH and I both tried the Morphine Bomb and were not impressed. I had a bad ankle sprain that was keeping me up at night (I was trying to avoid a doctor visit), and DH was post-surgical. I've tried it since a few times when my arthritic knee acts up, and no, better to do OTC measures and a prescription pain med at night. A few days of that, and I'm usually fine. I haven't found anything natural that beats that treatment for my level of pain, which is of course relatively minor in the scheme of things.

There are some applications for essential oils, but severe pain is NOT one of them.

You probably know this, but pain has far-reaching effects in the body. You have to keep ahead of it, or it can get very hard to manage.

• Like 2

It doesn't sound like it would have been helpful in this situation, but fyi there are some really interesting studies out there about video games and virtual reality for pain. 

Here is one: 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3052404/

Here's another article: 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/health/in-gaming-some-see-tools-to-treat-pain.html?_r=0

They are more used for chronic pain kind of syndromes so not really appropriate for your Dad but that might be where the person who suggested it had got the idea. 

And I'm not going to touch the whole EO discussion with a 10 foot pole. :) 

Glad they found something that works for your Dad. Hope he heals quickly. 

EOs are big here.  Scrolling through Facebook it's like having a mini-commercial on everyone's page.  "Here we are doing work after I put Orange and Peppermint in the diffuser!  They make us concentrate so well!" or "Baby girl got a boo-boo, I'm so glad I had my lavender with me!" "Which oils will I need on my 2 day trip?  I'll take....all of them!"
I am very lucky to have a great, and I mean GREAT doctor.  I always get more than 20 minutes with her, usually upwards of an hour so that she can adjust my meds after probing through my current situation.  Last time I had friends telling me how EOs would make it all better. So that is one of the things I brought up in our conversation.  Since I have very little sense of smell and taste right now it could be a bit dangerous.  My doc is so level headed she listed off several that wouldn't make me worse when applied topically, and could be worth a shot, even just for the placebo effect (which I think many of them are).  Still went home with my meds, but at least I know if I wanted to I could try some.

• Like 2

EOs are big here. Scrolling through Facebook it's like having a mini-commercial on everyone's page. "Here we are doing work after I put Orange and Peppermint in the diffuser! They make us concentrate so well!" or "Baby girl got a boo-boo, I'm so glad I had my lavender with me!" "Which oils will I need on my 2 day trip? I'll take....all of them!".

I have one acquaintance whose Facebook feed is a constant infomercial for her young living business. She hosts monthly information meetings and now that autumn is here her "thieves oil for everything" have replaced ask her about natural insect repellant. Smells good and works.

She manages to work the oils into every real life conversation, too. Happen to mention you are tired...peppermint oil. Your dog is high strung, peace and calm. And so on.

Essential oils can be helpful for some things but surgery, autoimmune, etc. I think some heavy lifting pharmaceuticals are necessary.