Menu

College care package ideas for acquaintance

Jennifer132

My daughter just got an amazing care package from a dear friend of mine... a pair of comfy socks, a warm and toasty softest ever blanket, a gift card to the bookstore, and LED fairy lights. The fairy lights were the biggest hit... she loves them so and it really enlivens the room. It was such a sweet thing to be remembered that way. :)

You are very sweet to do this!

• Like 1

I'm about to send a package to a family friend too. I'm sending a roll of quarters for laundry.

Ugh, do you know if they use quarters? DS school laundry machines all use prepaid cards that you slide through to pay for a load of laundry.... granted, the quarters can be used elsewhere if not for laundry.

• Like 2

fuzzy socks, assuming it gets cold where she is

Starbucks gift card--perfect if she drinks coffee, but can be used for tea or hot cocoa otherwise

a re-usable water bottle that seals well for throwing in the backpack and taking to class

a travel coffee mug if her personality is such that that would be more useful than the water bottle :001_cool:

good pens--not necessarily the crazy expensive ones, but the ones that are $5 for 2 instead of $1 for 20, IYKWIM

if you can get one, a gift card to the school bookstore or on-campus "good" (i.e., not covered by meal plan) eating options

sweet treats if she likes them

whatever convenience food she likes that she can make in the microwave or hall kitchen (if her dorm has them)--a box of mac'n'cheese, for example

a gift card to Wal-Mart or Target or iTunes

Of course I just looked over your original post again and saw that you used the word "elders." I always associate that word with LDS, though in my experience it's mostly referred to the missionaries, who are unmarried and childless. In any case, if you're LDS, scratch the Starbucks and coffee mug ;) (or include them and make it clear it's for hot chocolate or herbal tea, if your/her conscience allows that).

Healthy snacks -- roasted almonds, health bars

Not-quite-as-healthy snacks :) -- home-baked cookes

Pens

Post-it notes

$10 Target or Walmart Gift-card (find out what's nearby or available by public-transit)

Tea or Coffee

Those little gloves that roll up small for when (if) the weather starts to get cold, that you can get at Target, etc., for $2.00

Something fun for an upcoming holiday (window decals for Halloween, etc.)

Chewing gum

A tiny plant (I got a little mini-pot and seed kit at the dollar store, and another time a small ceramic animal head/grass seed kit where you grow grass on top like hair, etc.); these are things where the seeds are not yet planted so can be sent in the mail.

When my own dds hits that age I plan to send some Vitafusion gummies Vitamin C (Power C) and Vitamin D. We have them on the counter at home all the time and because they're gummies the girls will take them too. Maybe Halls Vitamin C drops too which is what we use when we get the scratchy throat that means a cold is coming.

fuzzy socks, assuming it gets cold where she is

Starbucks gift card--perfect if she drinks coffee, but can be used for tea or hot cocoa otherwise

a re-usable water bottle that seals well for throwing in the backpack and taking to class

a travel coffee mug if her personality is such that that would be more useful than the water bottle :001_cool:

good pens--not necessarily the crazy expensive ones, but the ones that are $5 for 2 instead of $1 for 20, IYKWIM

if you can get one, a gift card to the school bookstore or on-campus "good" (i.e., not covered by meal plan) eating options

sweet treats if she likes them

whatever convenience food she likes that she can make in the microwave or hall kitchen (if her dorm has them)--a box of mac'n'cheese, for example

a gift card to Wal-Mart or Target or iTunes

Of course I just looked over your original post again and saw that you used the word "elders." I always associate that word with LDS, though in my experience it's mostly referred to the missionaries, who are unmarried and childless. In any case, if you're LDS, scratch the Starbucks and coffee mug ;) (or include them and make it clear it's for hot chocolate or herbal tea, if your/her conscience allows that).

Thanks for all the ideas! I am not LDS, but I'm not sure if she drinks coffee anyway! 😀
  • Like 1

I like to send some breakfast items in care packages. That seems to be the meal that my ds doesn't make it to. Baked goods are nice (I send those, too), but things with a longer shelf life like oatmeal squares or Nutri-grain bars or little bags of granola can be grab and go when heading to class.