What's with the ads?

#1 Margaret in CO

Margaret in CO

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16783 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:08 AM

Dd is getting a LOT of mail from Norwich.  She's intrigued. Any experience here?

#2 Nan in Mass

Nan in Mass

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9765 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:59 PM

We met a bunch of students on a ski slope one time and talked to a couple on the lift. Aside from the ones who were skiing for the first time ever in hiking boots and military style telemarking skis and miserable, the guys we talked to loved their school. Not much info, but at least happy.

Nan

#3 AFwife Claire

AFwife Claire

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:18 PM

The only things I've read about it have been from service academy forums. You might want to search "Norwich" over there for threads.  I had never even heard of it before seeing it mentioned there!

#4 Margaret in CO

Margaret in CO

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16783 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:16 AM

Thanks. They pride themselves on being the birthplace of ROTC. It's expensive, but as we found out with dd #1, sometimes a private school is less than a state school. 

#5 Margaret in CO

Margaret in CO

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16783 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:41 AM

Did find this:  Speaking of ROTC... not sure about VMI (others will know), but don't forget that anyone bringing an ROTC scholarship to Norwich is also be awarded the ID White scholarship that covers room and board. With that scholarship, ROTC, and merit money it is often possible to effectively get a "full ride" at Norwich; so don't be put off by the price tag until you see the whole picture.

And I found VMI does NOT do the room & board thing. 

#6 AHASRADA

AHASRADA

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1506 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:23 PM

My BIL graduated from Norwich with no military affiliation, so it is not a "military only" school. Of course, their military tradition is strong and deep.

Scenic New England campus nestled among the hills of a quaint small town. A car absolutely essential to get to "civilization ", but very charming (I lived in town while student teaching ).

#7 Margaret in CO

Margaret in CO

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16783 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:00 AM

Norwich is unusual in that they have part civilian and part military but are still a Senior Military College. The students have a higher rate of commissioning that out of a straight ROTC program. I think it would be a better fit for dd due to the location. Pretty sure, dd wouldn't be happy down south!

#8 Diana P.

Diana P.

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10638 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:19 AM

Virginia Tech and Texas A&M are also considered senior military colleges. There are six (I think) with only two being all military -- VMI and the Citadel. So, I don't think not being full military makes it unusual. There are ROTC scholarships that will give you full ride at any of these schools. There may extravstuff available at the private schools, but I do know people have gotten scholarships to cover everything at Virginia schools.

#9 Teachin'Mine

Teachin'Mine

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9595 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:35 AM

nm

#10 Melinda in VT

Melinda in VT

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4292 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:06 AM

Norwich is in my neck of the woods. We are casual friends with two members of the English department faculty. Norwich is well-regarded locally, but I don't have feedback from any students.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#11 Margaret in CO

Margaret in CO

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16783 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

Just in case someone searches for Norwich, I wanted to update this thread. Dd has been out there for close to a month--she went out early for cavalry training. They will start riding again on the 18th, but she loved her 10 days early FTX with the cavalry troop. She likes her classes, likes her battalion and company officers and reports she loves it there and she's in the right place. Not as much transferred as we'd hoped, but she has enough wiggle room for a second minor. When we ran the numbers, it came out the same price as doing AFROTC at Colorado School of Mines. 

• JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst, creekland, Twigs and 2 others like this

#12 AmandaVT

AmandaVT

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2584 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:08 PM

Just in case someone searches for Norwich, I wanted to update this thread. Dd has been out there for close to a month--she went out early for cavalry training. They will start riding again on the 18th, but she loved her 10 days early FTX with the cavalry troop. She likes her classes, likes her battalion and company officers and reports she loves it there and she's in the right place. Not as much transferred as we'd hoped, but she has enough wiggle room for a second minor. When we ran the numbers, it came out the same price as doing AFROTC at Colorado School of Mines. 

If you plan on coming to visit for parents weekend or graduation weekend, make reservations ASAP. Hotels fill up quickly as do restaurants on those weekends. I have relatives that come to town a few times a year and they'll now ask me when Norwich parents weekend is so they can avoid it. :-) 

#13 Margaret in CO

Margaret in CO

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16783 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:48 PM

Well, dh pushed me to do reservations but we didn't. We simply can't afford it. I was SOOOOO tempted two nights ago, and then oldest dd ended up in the hospital with surgery today. I can't even imagine what that bill is going to be! Dh was supposed to make Parents' Weekend reservation but had a cancer brain movement and made them for the wrong month. And we can't afford to go again. 

The reservation thing is like Annapolis for Commissioning Week! Hotels won't make reservations until the covers go up at graduation--and you better have the hotel on speed dial!

#14 JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst

JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3585 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

Did find this:  Speaking of ROTC... not sure about VMI (others will know), but don't forget that anyone bringing an ROTC scholarship to Norwich is also be awarded the ID White scholarship that covers room and board. With that scholarship, ROTC, and merit money it is often possible to effectively get a "full ride" at Norwich; so don't be put off by the price tag until you see the whole picture.

And I found VMI does NOT do the room & board thing. 

Thank you for the info!!  My son has Norwich on his list to research but neither of us had heard about this, I'll bring it to his attention!

Anecdotally, we have former neighbors whose son is at Norwich.  He didn't end up with a ROTC scholarship for his first year but the mom mentioned that he received a fair amount of merit aid/grants which made it possible for him to attend at a rate comparable with a state school.  He planned on applying for ROTC again the following year.  

• Margaret in CO likes this

#15 Hilltopmom

Hilltopmom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2051 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:14 AM

Ds is applying to Norwich this year. He loved the summer program he went to there that Margaret recommended.

Not for the military aspect though, he'd be a civilian, so I'm not sure if it's the best fit for him, we'll see....
Fingers crossed for an excellant financial aid package though or it's not doable for us anyways.

Good luck all.
Glad your dd is loving it Margaret, wish you could go for Parents weekend.

#16 Margaret in CO

Margaret in CO

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16783 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

Yeah, I wish so too, but dh has yet another oncology appointment, for yet another MRI, and with dd's emergency surgery well, it's not going to happen. Second ER visit in two weeks. As a friend said to her, "If you're going to be dumb (horse breaking foot and dog bite), ya' better be tough!" She was supposed to compete in dump truck driving for the county today, but instead is sitting there with her hand elevated, with ice on it, with her foot in a boot. Oops!