Menu

IEP myths

kbutton

• 2 weeks later...

This is giving me food for thought. DD needs an IEP six months (maybe 3 years) ago. Her school last year did a 504, and passed her on a grade without teaching her anything. We switched at the beginning of the year because they were going to put her with the same jerk math teacher, so now she's in an online school, and I think they're doing that Response to Intervention process right now, they're gathering information to bring to the evaluation process, but she keeps having to slog through material that is way too difficult for her and falling further behind every day.

I'm thinking we need to demand IEP testing sooner rather than later.

• Like 4

This is giving me food for thought. DD needs an IEP six months (maybe 3 years) ago. Her school last year did a 504, and passed her on a grade without teaching her anything. We switched at the beginning of the year because they were going to put her with the same jerk math teacher, so now she's in an online school, and I think they're doing that Response to Intervention process right now, they're gathering information to bring to the evaluation process, but she keeps having to slog through material that is way too difficult for her and falling further behind every day.

I believe the author of that article has a link to her blog at the bottom, and I found wads and wads of useful stuff on her site. It was awesome.

Let me send you some additional information. Your state should have legislation on their Dept. of Ed. website that shows how they implement this stuff.

This first link is not exactly what i was going for, but it's the correct site: http://idea.ed.gov/explore/view/p/%2Croot%2Cdynamic%2CQaCorner%2C8%2C

That site instructs schools on how to implement IDEA. It frequently tells them that their local education authority (LEA) will have blah, blah, blah document. When it does that, you can google your state along with the jargon, and it can turn up some useful stuff. In some ways, I feel as though this stuff makes more sense when I know how the school is reading and viewing the law, not just when I look at the parent version of everything. And the law always sounds like it's going in circles (and really kind of is going in circles). The law is kind of the last place you go to understand, and the first place you go to make the school do the right thing, lol!

I have not had time to explore this site: http://www.ideapartnership.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=844&oseppage=1

Everyone talks about the NOLO book on IEPs, and that is fine. I recommend this one for the people side of things: http://www.amazon.com/When-School-Says-How-Get/dp/1849059179 I think this does a great job of talking about how the school will often let you get into the process before realizing that you've actually allowed something to slide by or agreed to something that they use to take options off the table. The very first place people often lose options is when you have the ETR meeting that outlines the testing plan. I almost didn't check the box for a speech evaluation for my older son because he doesn't speech issues...well, that is where they test social skills. That is what qualified him for the IEP. Close call!

Some people have great luck calling the state department of education. I was told things that were not exactly correct when I did that--another friend in the same state got actionable and helpful information. Be wary and warned. :-)

• Like 3

By law, schools have a certain time in which they have to get back to you. However, there are no sanctions if they don't follow the law.

If things get bad you can use due process to request mediation with you state education dept. Ime, they tend to adhere to deadlines.

The Wrightslaw website and books have a lot of valuable info.

Good luck!

• Like 1