Menu

My dc may go to school next year.

They are enrolled in a very good school for the fall, but our goal is to figure out another option.

BUT, just in case, they have to be ready to go. And they aren't. Well, my 5yo will be ready for K, but my 1st grader is struggling and I worry that my 4th grader may be a lost cause!

I am using BJU DVDs for my 1st grader and ACE PACES for my 4th grader. I realize ACE PACES wouldn't be considered rigorous, but I do think they will get him where he needs to be. I am also adding in Writing Strands 3 and some other stuff to work on.

My 4th grader's hadwriting is also really bad - what can I do to help him?

I need help - the thought of them going to school is overwhelming!

hopefully you will have another option as you desire. Have they taken placement tests for the new school yet? That information may be reassuring. After all not every student in that school is top in every subject there. I would look at the curricula for the school they may be in---texts on their current level as well as ones for next year and work toward them being successful in that format/curricula. If you don't go the school route, they still would have learned a lot, although in a different context than you may have otherwise decided. Keep us posted!

I echo the encouragement to look at the curriculum used in 1st and 4th grade at your local school. Perhaps you'll be able to borrow textbooks from the school or at least get a list of what texts they use that you can scout out elsewhere. Every year schools have students who transfer in from other school districts where students are ahead or behind where that school's students are. You might also check your state board of education website for a copy of the state standards for those grades.

As far as handwriting goes, encourage him to work on writing more neatly but don't sweat it too much.

Does the school do placement testing for 2nd and 5th grades? My niece and nephew had to do a placement test when they transferred to a private school for 2nd and 4th. The testing pointed out their weak areas and the school offered to tutor them over the summer, let them sign up for summer school in those areas, or lend my sister the texts for those areas (math & grammar.)

If you knew specifically what areas are weak, you could target those areas much more efficiently. And, who knows! Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised and they won't have any areas to worry about after all!

yvonne

They are not going to a local school, but rather a charter school that functions like a private school. The school follows the Core Knowledge Sequence - I have the "What Your ___________ Grader Needs to Know" books, so I can use those to help.

I have to get my 4th grader writing, my first grader is behind in reading and math, and it seems so overwhelming to figure out what to do next.

I just need to determine what areas are most important, and go from there.