Menu

Schedules with school and afterschooling?

Keep in mind that we started a new school schedule just recently (we only went half of the day last year) so this is our "working" schedule starting a few weeks ago:

*Wakes up at 7:30

*School is approx 8:30-3:30 (counts the time to get there and get home)

*two school days: no lessons happens, due to activities plus spending time with friends/family. She has small amounts of homework for K and does most of it then as well.

*remaining three school days: 3:30-5 or 5:30 - free time alone or with friends. 5 or 5:30 to 7:00 PM: Lessons alternating with breaks and dinner built in (my daughter is in K, so we don't need a lot of time)

All days: 7:00-7:30 Read aloud, 7:30-8:30 Read alone in bed or go to sleep, 8:30: Bedtime

I make a list in the beginning of each week amounting to 3 "full" days of work (full for a 5 year old... so 1 hour) and put it in a checklist. I check it off as we get through it. The end result is if she dawdles, we have lessons on Saturday morning. Otherwise, she has the weekend free.

Edit: Forgot to mention, a couple of short things appear on the list more than 3 times (e.g., AAS for 10 minutes, cursive word, etc.) so she has the option to start to get those out of the way on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday if she wants, as well.

We are still getting into the swing of things, but here it is in general:

Weekdays:

• Wake up 6:30; get ready & off to school bus by 7:30.
  • School is 8:30-3pm.
  • Kids' p.m. bus comes to school late, so they go to aftercare for a while and can do some homework/reading there.
  • Kids come home around 4pm, have a snack, decompress, discuss homework and other school to-dos.
  • Kids do homework.
  • If homework isn't heavy, I give them some practice math & LA and have them read.  Target is 1 hour of total work, plus reading.
  • I need to start having them do music practice again - this has been on hold due to house construction logistics.
  • Evening sports or scouts for 1-3 hours per day.
    • Monday:  Swim, gymnastics.
    • Tuesday:  Soccer.
    • Wednesday:  Swim, soccer.
    • Thursday:  Scouts or TKD.
    • Friday:  TKD and/or gymnastics.
  • If there is still time before bed, I'll do some read-alouds - a mix of academic stuff and fiction - and/or let them watch a half-hour video or two (educational or not).
  • Targeted bedtime is 9-9:30pm.

Saturdays (when we aren't traveling or doing special stuff):

• Usually horse riding in the morning.  Sometimes soccer or other.
  • Afterschooling work - math, LA, music, and whatever else works.
  • Light chores and/or volunteer activity.
  • Scout badge work (sometimes).
  • Kids have free time.
  • We usually watch fun videos together for about an hour.

Sundays:

• Church and Sunday School in the morning.
  • Kids have "Sunday Fun Day" which is mostly free time.  We might watch a movie together in the evening.

Keep in mind that we started a new school schedule just recently (we only went half of the day last year) so this is our "working" schedule starting a few weeks ago:

*Wakes up at 7:30

*School is approx 8:30-3:30 (counts the time to get there and get home)

*two school days: no lessons happens, due to activities plus spending time with friends/family. She has small amounts of homework for K and does most of it then as well.

*remaining three school days: 3:30-5 or 5:30 - free time alone or with friends. 5 or 5:30 to 7:00 PM: Lessons alternating with breaks and dinner built in (my daughter is in K, so we don't need a lot of time)

All days: 7:00-7:30 Read aloud, 7:30-8:30 Read alone in bed or go to sleep, 8:30: Bedtime

I make a list in the beginning of each week amounting to 3 "full" days of work (full for a 5 year old... so 1 hour) and put it in a checklist. I check it off as we get through it. The end result is if she dawdles, we have lessons on Saturday morning. Otherwise, she has the weekend free.

Edit: Forgot to mention, a couple of short things appear on the list more than 3 times (e.g., AAS for 10 minutes, cursive word, etc.) so she has the option to start to get those out of the way on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday if she wants, as well.

Very helpful.

I was hoping not to go this route. But DD 1st is falling behind in reading and needs to work on that and practice math drills. I just didnt' realize they expected so much in the first part of first grade! I like this idea of 3 days a week. We'll start with reading consistently. She's a bit behind in level but can catch up and work on fluency.

For first do you practice writing?

They want her to be able to write most works even the blending sounds. I'm a bit irked bc she was doing great end of KG and all of a sudden seems the bar was raised.

Ahhh this is how the first started full time homeschool with after schooling bc he was ahead though. I'm so busy with homeschooling the two oldest that I really didn't want to homeschool a first grader. 

Any other recs for encouragement (not candy or food related). Teacher says she's losing focus in class (tends to chit chat) and has to refocus her on activities. She does so much better one on one that I need ideas of simple things to motivate her to work just  a bit couple of days.

Very helpful.

I was hoping not to go this route. But DD 1st is falling behind in reading and needs to work on that and practice math drills. I just didnt' realize they expected so much in the first part of first grade! I like this idea of 3 days a week. We'll start with reading consistently. She's a bit behind in level but can catch up and work on fluency.

For first do you practice writing?

They want her to be able to write most works even the blending sounds. I'm a bit irked bc she was doing great end of KG and all of a sudden seems the bar was raised.

Ahhh this is how the first started full time homeschool with after schooling bc he was ahead though. I'm so busy with homeschooling the two oldest that I really didn't want to homeschool a first grader. 

Any other recs for encouragement (not candy or food related). Teacher says she's losing focus in class (tends to chit chat) and has to refocus her on activities. She does so much better one on one that I need ideas of simple things to motivate her to work just  a bit couple of days.

Do you mean handwriting or writing? For handwriting I only do cursive, I do have a HWT copywork book I pull out if her manuscript has been particularly sloppy. 

For writing, my daughter's strength is in LA, so we do IEW (1 lesson a week) and bravewriter (1 freewrite a week, +1 "other" activity a week -- this fall we're doing a keen observation each time). That accounts for writing on each of our 3 days... only IEW takes much time. We do AAS as well which definitely helps with writing all the blending sounds/digraphs.

I don't do much in the way of encouragement, except "good job!" and "there's no work left for the weekend!" -- but for some bigger things, like when she gets 100 on an xtramath level, I let her pick a family activity to celebrate (anything she wants, like a craft or museum). 

Good luck! This sounds so similar to what I've heard -- that as much as people talk about Kindergarten being the new first grade, it's first grade that feels like scaling a brick wall for kids!

Unless my child has a medical or behavoiral problem or is going through a particularly bad patch I expect the teacher to be able to keep them on task without my input unless it is just general information. They are paid to manage the classroom after all not me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Kids wake up at 6:30 and are at school by 8 (1st and Pre-K).  School goes until 2:30, but I work, so they go to after school care until 4:30.  Then there's varying afterschool activities including piano lessons, gymnastics, and dance for the eldest.  Then home for dinner and unwinding, they get to watch some TV during dinner.

Then at 7:15 Monday through Thursday, TV goes off and work begins.

1st grader:

7:15-7:30 - spelling (school assigned) & vocab (mom assigned)

7:30-8:00 - math (mom assigned)

8:00-8:30 - piano practice

8:30-8:45 - AR reading (school assigned)

8:45-9:15 - small dessert and free time

9:15-until asleep - PJs and Read-To in the bed

Pre-K:

We practice some phonics (Hooked on Phonics), tracing letters and numbers with the step board or Kumon books, and play iPad apps that deal with number sense, basic math vocabulary, and working memory.  I work with him in-between helping big sister.  When big sister practices piano, little brother has "music class" with daddy where they sit on the floor and sing and play.

We motivate the kids with the small dessert and free time, which is what they get if they worked hard and had a good attitude.  If they didn't work hard or had a poor attitude, 8:45 turns into "cleaning time".  :)

Friday is break.  No afterschooling.  Saturday and Sunday mornings we do about an hour of various academics (less for Pre-K) and then piano practice.  Then we go out and do something fun with friends like go to the park or whatever.  But they have to earn it by getting their work done first. 

up at 5:30.  

sport 6:30-7:30 five days a week

8 school

2:45 pick up

5 days a week of homework/independent study/tutoring (as needed) 10 minutes to 60 minutes. I cut off homework at the hour mark.  Life is too short to sit at a desk!

30min piano 5Xs a week

1 hour min of being outside daily.

Sundays are off the schedule.

I have found letting her spend her free time as she likes helps her learn what is important to her and where she wants to put free time.  I wish days were longer so she could just spend time laying on the lawn and looking at clouds.  I wish school was shorter.

Bed at 9pm