Menu

Using OPGTR as a guide for beginning spelling?

Jacbeaumont

Has anyone NOT used a spelling program in the early years, and just winged it? Or used a reading program as a guide, such as OPGTR. (I think Jessie Wise or SWB mentions somewhere, whether in OPGTR itself or elsewhere, about following the phonics rules to teach spelling. I am fairly confident I can do this on my own.  Just wanted to hear thoughts from others and check if there was anyone who has done this before and can give me tips.

For a little more info, my DS is nearly 5, still working on perfecting letters. We are currently on lesson 57 of OPGTR (but he can read WELL beyond that level) So, I thought I'd throw in some spelling.

I didn't want the fact that he isn't a strong printer yet to hold him back from spelling, so I have been using letter tiles. We also do use a little bit of Words Their Way (picture sorting). So far we have mastered beginning sounds of CVC's and are now focusing on recognizing the middle sound of CVC's.  For example, I will choose the first and last letter (Let's say m _ p) and I will have all the vowel sounds at the top of the magnet board, I then say "mop", and he chooses the correct vowel. I will give all possible combo's before moving on to another set of letters, like r_p, and continue.

After he masters the middle sounds, I was going to continue to ending sounds and then move on to assembling the whole CVC word on his own. Hopefully by this time he will be more confident in letter printing and can graduate from using the letter tiles. I may incorporate fill in the blank for extra printing practice.

If you'd read this far and have any comments/concerns/tips, I would greatly appreciate it! also, if you could comment how programs you use for very beginning spellers compares that would be great!

TIA!

Doesn't the 3rd edition of TWTM say to hold off on spelling, until OPGTR or other phonics is finished?

Many educational methods hold off on spelling until 3rd or 4th grade, and just teach phonics and copywork.

You might like to read Ruth Beechick's the 3R's. The instructions for spelling are really good and apply even past 3rd grade.

I can't imagine waiting until the third grade! I'll have to pull out TWTM again.

So, I suppose I just continue with the printing practice and move on to simple copywork until I begin with FLL and WWE in grade 1.

I guess I just assumed it was the next step as I see everyone talking about AAS1 starting after they finish AAR1.  Which when I look at AAR1, I think we would be finished that by now.

Leaves me with something to think about it!

I'll have to find that book. :) Thanks for the info.

So, I just pulled out my third edition of TWTM, and she has them starting spelling in first grade and after they are at least  halfwaythrough OPGTR.

I think it is grammar she recommends starting in third grade.

ETA: I re-read your post and see that you were talking about other educational methods say after 3rd or 4th grade.

Jacbeaumont, that is what I want to do:  follow phonics rules to teach spelling.  I think AAS does do that.  Well, I only have the first level, so I can't really say.  But that's what I like about AAS.  But I don't want all the tactile stuff.  AAS also has a lot of words for each lesson.  But I guess one can skip some of those words if he's master them.  But I'm a box checker.......

I think if you have time and he's willing to do it, then why not?  :)  Although I'm not an expert........

I'll be interested to see what if anyone has done this before.

What exactly turns the lesson into a spelling lesson instead of a reading lesson?

I assume its when you have the child form the words on their own, using tiles or whatever. So if the reading lesson is on short a words you just think up similar short a words, say them, and have the child spell them. Does spelling need to be more than that? Is there a basic, comprehensive guide for all the recommended skills for spelling? Kind of like how you can find lists of phonemic awareness skills for reading? Something like that would help in turning a reading program into a spelling one, I would guess.

There is no way I would attempt to teach spelling using OPGTR. It is a no-frills program designed to efficiently teach reading, and I think it is excellent for that. But it isn't at all designed for dealing with spelling rules effectively. In some cases there is a direct relationship between reading and spelling rules (like with CVC words), but having gone all the way through OPGTR twice to teach reading (and having taught spelling using another method), I have found that the reading rules as taught in OPGTR just aren't presented in an order or a manner that lends itself to dealing with spelling also. It would cause a lot of unnecessary confusion, imo.

If you want to teach reading and spelling at the same time with the same method, I'd ditch OPGTR and go with Spalding, LOE, or SWR, which are designed for that. Otherwise, I agree that you should wait to teach spelling on its own once reading is fluent.

• Like 1

TWTM advocates teaching reading earlier than other methods, so spelling is started earlier, IF a certain amount of phonics has been covered.

I believe that applying spelling rules is a logic level skill. If you want to start teaching spelling rules in the poll parrot stage, to pave the way for logic level application, that is an option. But I personally do NOT expect grammar stage students to apply spelling rules.

"Spelling" can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. To assign a year to start "spelling" is impossible. A copywork spelling curriculum is not the same as a rules based spelling curriculum.

And also be aware of what is included in "reading" can vary considerably. And the age when "reading" is started varies, so the age when "spelling" is started will vary, no matter how you are defining the words.

Right now I am forced to use just ebooks and library books. TWTM language arts books are readily available to me, and I have spent some serious time prereading them, recently.

TWTM language arts is a sensible progression to me, but just a little too fast for average and LD students. Some kids won't start OPGTR till they are 7 and won't be ready for spelling until 8, but that still will follow the TWTM progression.

I have a Currclick ebook grade 4 of Christian Liberty Press spelling, but that is it. I think CLP might be a workable replacement for the spelling curriculum suggested in TWTM, but I have not seen all levels or field tested it.

• Like 1

I have been using How to Tutor and Alpha Phonics, but will probably be switching over to OPGTR, at some point. I have a library copy right now, that I am still studying and comparing.

TWTM grammar stage language arts makes a lot of sense. There are pros and cons to all methods, and each student has their own quirks. But in GENERAL and as DEFAULT, TWTM makes a lot of sense as a PACKAGE.

TWTM advocates teaching reading earlier than other methods, so spelling is started earlier, IF a certain amount of phonics has been covered.

I believe that applying spelling rules is a logic level skill. If you want to start teaching spelling rules in the poll parrot stage, to pave the way for logic level application, that is an option. But I personally do NOT expect grammar stage students to apply spelling rules.

"Spelling" can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. To assign a year to start "spelling" is impossible. A copywork spelling curriculum is not the same as a rules based spelling curriculum.

And also be aware of what is included in "reading" can vary considerably. And the age when "reading" is started varies, so the age when "spelling" is started will vary, no matter how you are defining the words.

^ Hunter is spot on, as usual.  :) 

• Like 1

Thanks, blondchen for your response! I'm definitely thinking more for beginning spelling, not much past lessons on basic long vowel rules.

I do see what you mean as the rules are not directly even mentioned in OPGTR, as far as I can tell in my skimming in future lessons.

I'll probably just keep doing what I mentioned above more just to develop his phonemic awareness of hearing the sounds in basic cvc, cvce, etc for this year before we try spelling workout A in grade 1.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

A friend of mine uses CLP grade 1 for spelling. Flipping through that is what gave me the idea that I could do the very beginning by myself.

My one complaint about the CLP spelling Grade 1 is that the printing area is so small! So tiny... I haven't seen a copy of spelling workout. Does anyone know if the line spacing is large enough for grade 1? Meaning, around the same as TWTM suggests?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'm only planning on using CLP loosely. I don't have a printer to print the pages.

I tend to handwrite homemade worksheets and copywork, so students have the consistency of always using the same paper.

The weekly word lists and the explanations looked sensible and easy to schedule.

When doing all eBook, it's hard to see the big picture. It is awkward to flip around. Each CLP week looks more stand alone than some other curricula. That is important right now. I don't mind having to copy some of the lesson, as long as I feel entirely confident about teaching the week's lesson.

I start formal spelling lessons with my children when they are in third grade, as I prefer to focus on reading and writing first. I was surprised yesterday when giving my 8-year-old his first spelling test. He still isn't as strong a reader as his older brothers were at this age, and I was actually surprised at how well he did with his spelling test (11/12 correct). On one word, he told me the spelling rule as he confirmed he had spelled the word correctly. I asked how he knew that, and he said it had been in his phonics book, OPGTTR, which he finished more than a year ago. Just anecdotal evidence to use OPG and hold off on spelling.

If I'd had a child who loved to write at a young age and wanted more work and I'd had time to give it to him, I wouldn't be totally opposed to teaching spelling at a younger age (especially with Spell to Write and Read, which I like). But I've never had that kid or that kind of time. There are lots of spelling programs that are tempting, and I'm sure most would work with consistency, just as "winging it" will work. Using letter tiles is a great method to start with for young or reluctant writers. More fun at any age, really.

• Like 2