Menu

Hits and Misses

avazquez24

Would love to hear everyone's hits and misses for curriculum:)

Here's ours:

Hits:

Explode the Code (although we just stopped using it)

CLE Math- DD especially LOVES it!

Self selected literature- The kids much prefer choosing books from a literature list I make, rather than a text book

VP Self-Paced History- DS loves it

AAR- was great while we needed it, but the kids are now beyond it

Misses:

Math-U-See- this brought DD to tears and caused her to hate math while using it

SOTW- although I think the kids may have been too young when we tried it, as they were in kinder and 1st

For us...

Hits:

MUS

AOPS/BA

Rod and Staff English (we'll see how I feel about that after Miss T)

Dancing Bears

Misses:

WWE

WRTR 

MM (though my son that is doing it loves it, and my oldest didn't mind the parts he did. I just can't handle the visual clutter)

Our best new hits:

Learn to draw the whole world $15 PDF download (or first you can try a free ebook download sample) from here:

http://memorize-maps.blogspot.com/

If you ever gave up teaching your kids map drawing after utter frustration with continent blobs, you may be interested in this, too.

Word Wealth, Jr. (out of print but easily found on used book sites).  Best vocabulary program I have used.  I am also using it for spelling, keeping a running list of misspelled words (from WWJ and also from other assignments) and practicing them with dictation sentences.

Dolciani Pre-Algebra, 1988, used with the ***Teacher's Edition***. (The TE is hard to find but very, very worth it.)

• Like 9

So far:

Hits:

Miquon for dd5 + Logic of English Foundations

Exloring Nature with Children

Science of the Seasons

Beast Academy (as always)

apples and pears for ds

Maxwell's Primary Grammar and Composition for dd-3rd

Bravewriter activities for the whole family

stacks of books

Bite-Size Physics for ds

lots of art- using any and everything we can find

Misses-

Um, not thinking of anything yet, but perhaps I've already put it away so it is not on my mind

Maxwell's Writing for ds- this isn't a total miss, he enjoyed it and I liked it but he just needs some more structure at this point, I plan on revisting later

No great love but works just fine:

Horizons Math, Rand S spelling for dd

IEW Fix It Grammar for ds

MM for review and practice- for ds

Hits so far:

CNN Student News

MindBenders

Trail Guides to World Geography

Fix-It Grammar

AGS General Science Textbook as a spine (Unit 2 pairs beautifully with Trail Guides so we started there and will do Unit 1 later in the year; Textbook teaches systematic study skills, too.)

Barton Reading and Spelling

Reading Detective

Drama Class

Swim Club

Misses:

On-line classes for DS (moved too slowly; dropped 2, kept one)

We start math today after a few weeks off.  Math is the toughy here but CLE has been a great spine.  DD struggles terribly in math, but CLE has helped solidify a lot of things.  She does want to branch out now, though.  She wants to add in Basic College Mathematics this year so we start that today.  Wish us luck!  (DS will probably continue CLE/AoPS Pre-Algebra but may do Pre-Transition Mathematics on the side.  He likes that it incorporates history.)

It's still early in the year for us, so I'm undecided on some things.

Hits:

ELTL--If I could design a LA program, I think this is what I'd come up with!  My DC are enjoying it as well.

Spelling Wisdom--we are replacing the ELTL dictation with this since it's been a favorite of mine and my DC don't complain when I pull it out.

SCM's Mathematics DVD & book--so many great ideas for my younger DC!

Paper Sloyd For Primary Grades--this is a public domain book that we are all enjoying!

SCM's Learning About Birds with Thornton Burgess--it's a very light science program, but my DC are really enjoying it.  They'll be getting in more science with a few living books and nature study, so I don't feel like they aren't getting enough science.  

Misses:

Famous Men of the Middle Ages--I had such high hopes for this book, but DD keeps reminding me how much better she liked MOH.  There are so many people and places in the readings that I'm having a hard time keeping everyone straight!  I may be looking for a new spine.  The last few readings have gone better though, so we may just stick it out.

Shakespeare--I just can't figure out how to even begin a Shakespeare study!!

This isn't really curriculum, but this year I've gotten rid of binders and moved to 3-prong folders.  It's like they have their own workbook for each subject.  They are also color-coded and it makes it easy to find what they need.  No more papers scattered all over the schoolroom.  This is a total hit for us!

• Like 1

We don't really have any misses this year.  Everything is working at least fine.  There are some things I really love but DD is just fine with, some things DD really loves and I am just fine with, and some things we both think are pretty awesome. :)

Lively Latin

FLL

Adventures with Atoms and Molecules

SOTW

Writing in response to (mom-selected) literature, rather than using a separate writing curriculum

Math Mammoth

Hits:

FixIt Grammar

Abeka Grammar, Abeka Math

Starr Meade Bible studies/materials

coloring through the Bible (ala Good Morning Girls website/women's Bible study)

IEW

50 states study - using sheets from Homeschool in the Woods US map CD/Yo! Sacramento and misc books

A Child's Introduction to Poetry

Misses:

Tapestry of Grace - so bummed about this one

BJU math & science - the TM's just about did me in

R&S grammar

We are 6 weeks in.

We mixed things up this year a bit...with great success!

Our hits:

The usual suspects (CLE/ACE always get it done around here)

GSWL, we haven't officially started this, but it's getting pecked at

Adam to Us is DD1's favorite! It will be beautiful once it goes to print

EIW DD1 likes the video instruction

History read alouds for 7&9 year olds! I finally found a narrative history series I can get behind. We are reading The Story of the Ancient World by Guerber/Miller and narrating into composition books for their own illustrated/dictated/written history books. It's awesome :).

Our beefed up together time. It's awesome. It got done pretty consistently for 6 weeks!! We sang hymns, did all our memory work, finally did music appreciation, art appreciation, character and manners, cultural literacy read alouds...it was so awesome. The kids even had fun most of the time 😉.

Misses

Well, not a super big fan of Teach Your Student Non-Fiction (or whatever it's called), but we are still doing it.

I'm going to try a different manners book than the one we were using. Trying one by the guy who wrote Ferdinand (Munroe?)

So, all in all, it's been a sweet year so far! Our daily rhythm is working well too 😄!

• Like 1

We seem to have found our groove this year, and don't have any misses yet.

Hits:

*Wayfarers Ancient History (love, love, love it!)

*Our mish-mash of ELTL, CLE, and IEW for all of our language arts

*RLTL (I only wish I had used this for all of my kids)

*CLE math (no tears about math is a great feeling!), but I still love, and use, Miquon for the younger crowd

*Using the Mensa reading list as our free-choice literature readings (I'm "competing" with the kids while they work through their list and I work through the high school list)

*Our together time-we all love this time together for recitations, songs, and read-alouds

My older two don't love Latin for Children (especially the DVDs) but they are learning so much so I'll call it a mostly hit.

We're on week 8 and I'd say we are off to a great start...I hope it continues!

Hits:

Build Your Library (uses SOTW, and I'd include that in our "hits" list, too)

Beast Academy

Singapore

OPGTR

AAS (when we used it; eldest quickly outgrew it)

WWE (also quickly outgrown, but was good while it lasted)

MCT (grammar island; probably too soon to also include sentence island, but so far we like it)

Various supplemental/enrichment materials, like Zaccaro Primary Challenge Math and logic activities from Prufrock Press.

Misses:

Right Start math

Spelling Workout

Moving Beyond the Page

WWE (I know, both lists. Eldest loved it...until he hated it. lol)

FLL

Sassafras Science (this is a little unfair because my son *did* enjoy the stories; however, it's atrociously written, highly annoying, and I'm not sure my son learned much. Thankfully, he was an early reader and I just tossed it to him to read himself and moved on to other things)

REAL Science Odyssey (I see it's in my siggie. We never really got off the ground with it. I should update my siggie...)

New hits this year:

Morning Basket/Bible-- loving starting out the day like this and with our read aloud as well

Narnia! We are doing a lit study and incorporating our grammar, writing, and vocabulary studies-- everyone is loving it!

VP self paced history for my older 2-- they are loving it and I am loving that they can do it without me!

Middlebury Interactive Spanish-- love that it is getting done, and dd is enjoying it.

MP Enrichment-- perfect for K!

As Usual Hits: R&S Spelling, MM, Reading and Reasoning, AAR, AAS, HWOT

No misses this year...yet! ;)

• Like 1

Hits

Beast Academy.  Seriously...Best.Math.Ever.  For eldest DS that is.  It would be a total miss for my DD.  Jury is out for the youngest two boys.

Singapore...hit for eldest DS, miss for middle DS and DD.

AAS...love it for everybody.

Misses

LLATL:  Everything about it.  UGH.  BLECH.

AAR: Just...boring.  

Apologia: Ok...so we're pretty conservative christians...YE leaning etc.  But the author's attempts at explaining science from a christian viewpoint had me rolling my eyes. If you're going to argue YE...use solid arguments that can withstand logic tests.  Not heresay.  And her "author voice" was very annoying.  I don't want to read anecdotal stories about the author's son getting bit by a dog when we are studying anatomy.  

Tapestry of Grace:  I really really really wanted to love this.  Especially after forking over so much $$$ for it.  But I didn't love it.  I hated it.  I will say...I believe my children were WAY too young when we used it.  I look forward to giving this one another go when my kids are middle school and older.  Maybe.  The $$$$ factor is high for this program.  

• Like 2

Hits:

Hodge-podge ancient history using resources I pulled together thinking 10 year old dd would like.  She does. :)

SOTW audio for the youngers

BF history 

Tiner books

Mom's homemade writing class with 12 and 10 year old together, using CM, TWTM, IEW'ish exercises and Write On!

Dictation Day by Day 

Fallacy Detective

Nature sketching done simply so it's finally getting done.

1 composition notebook for all subjects. (almost)  So much easier to say "grab your notebook", regardless of what subject we're working on.

On the flip side, using notebookingpages.com for ancient history narrations for 10 year old.  She likes them.

No misses yet.  

• Like 4

HITS:
CLE math (as always!)
Apologia General Science 

Abeka science for my younger kids

WWE

Pentime Handwriting Books

An Afternoon and bedtime "Morning Time" that we refer to as "family hour" including, Bible memory work, poetry, Hymns, Reading the Bible aloud, read alouds (one chapter book geared toward the middles and one geared toward the olders)

MISSES:

Apologia Science for my 5th grader. She did it for a week, declared it boring, and requested to go back to Abeka.

Me trying to teach my kids to write without a complete program. I tried to pull ideas from online and from Write Stuff Adventure, but I need more exact step by step instructions to work with.  I've been trying for years to teach writing organically and failing. I am not an intuitive free spirit. IEW SWIB is in the mail. 

So-so:
We are using LOTS of CLE subjects this year. The math is up in the hit category, but we also have the LA, Bible, Social Studies, and Reading. IT GETS DONE, but I do feel a bit like I'm drowning in light units and answer keys. And even though THEY are spending a lot of time on the work, I'm missing the discussions and being on the same topic.

• Like 1

7th Grade

Hits:

• LA Loop: ELTL 5; EIW 7; Fix-It Grammar Book 2; GFMS
  • Ellen McHenry's Botany w/Quark Chronicles
  • Fallacy Detective
  • Bible Lit Combo of Chronicles of Narnia

Misses:

• Struggling w/Tablet Class Pre-Algebra.  We have switched to Khan Academy for the time being w/tutoring from a teacher at the local PS (friend) to get over the hump
  • DD is sick and tired of Latin.  She's had 2 years of it and just wants a break so we ditched it. We were using Visual Latin (which she really liked, but she's just tired of Latin).

It's kind of hard to tell, since some stuff we just started, but so far:

Hits:

mishmash of LA things - Arrow/Boomerang and MBtP lit units

SYRWTL Maths - not fun, but it gets done

mishmash of art curricula - ArtPacs, Deep Space Sparkle, Mark Kistler, etc. Much better than last year, when I think DD drew about 5 pictures for school the entire year and that was it.

A History of US concise edition - no frills, gets done, lots of pictures

Misses:

French - just no time to do it

English from the Roots Up - started out with a bang, but it's kind of a drudge now, and I'm not too sure DD is actually retaining the vocabulary. We may drop it, since we have so little time.

Adventures in Fantasy - not a legitimate miss, we just haven't had time to get it started. It may have to wait for next semester.

For past years: 

Hits- Right Start Math, A Child's History of the World, Atelier Art, Galore Park (we've used math, English and science. I hear their history is good too.), Dancing Bears

Misses - R&S math and English, SOTW (vol 1 was ok, vol 4 was painful), BFSU (never could get it organized), any "X grade in a box" type curricula, AAS (too many pieces), OPGTR, A Living History of Our World (it felt SO patronizing), Math Mammoth

CLE math was both hit and miss here. I loved the retention. DD hated the long lessons. We switched after 2 years because she cried when I pulled out the 3rd year's books.

• Like 1

For this year specifically? It's so early!

So far...

Going back to MEP for ds

Jousting Armadillos, which we're working through slowly but surely

Dino 101 from Coursera (thanks, Hive!)

Zometool lessons

Faltering Ownership from Brave Writer

No misses this year thus far. I mean, there are some things the kids would rather not do. Ds doesn't want to use the 6th and 7th grade NCERT math chapters to review, but it works for him. We read a short story a month and today "Hearts and Hands" by O. Henry was a flop. Alas! We're doing the discussion tomorrow so... hm... But that's like individual things. Overall, good choices for the year so far.

Six weeks in and hits are:

Singapore math

HWT

Progressive Phonics

CHOW

BF early American history books (following our own plan with these)

AO literature, natural sciences, geography and Bible plan

Nature Journals

Misses:

PAL reading...the boys enjoyed the games but the lessons/ busy work dragged on far too long and we went back to simple progressive phonics books

Still too early for us since I have changed most everything.

But, I can say with certainty that DD has loved the historical fiction books so far (Door in the Wall, Edge on the Sword, and Catherine Called Birdy). We have so many more this year for the Middle Ages so I'm glad we've been successful so far.

The other huge hit is philosophy. I am scrambling to find even more resources because she is really loving it.

I would say the biggest hit is The Drama of American History. As much as we loved the SOTW, this series took DS to a new level analytically. So glad we dived in.

AoPS continues to rock for him as well.

We strayed from formal science to just reading books for my younger DS, and he is loving it, although he still demands BFSU (yes, still our favorite!) lessons. Surprisingly DS1 is loving Plato, because it's independent and he can now get hours more of science per week than just one hour of scheduled BFSU. He is halfway to finishing Plato's physical science course and it's been less than two months.

Both kids detest R&S (we secularize it. Yes, it's possible). We will go back to MCT next year, but I am still pleased with R&S for forcing my kids to look at the trees.

I guess we don't have any big misses yet.

Hits (kids love it) - Narnia, Mom-made science, Latin for Children A, CAP Narrative 2

Hits (it works so I am happy) - Math Mammoth for Dd (who will never love math), WWE for Ds. AAS and FLL for both.

Misses - Right Start C for Ds. He needs more review from last year before we jump into this year. We had an unusually long summer break and he does not love school at any time, so he is struggling right now. Not sure whether this is a curriculum issue or not, so keeping a weather eye open for other possibilities but settling in to work hard and have fun with some thorough review.

We are just getting started on history this week, but I cannot imagine that it will not be a hit.

Hits

preKer -- The simple workbooks put out by, I think, Rod and Staff.  Backward notebooks (he's a lefty).

1st grader -- Everything!  100 Easy Lessons, MEP math, History Pockets for Native Americans, Native American books.  He's also anxious to get to SOTW maps.

5th grader -- Cryptomindbenders, Singapore Math 5.  Everything else he seems to like okay too.

8th grader -- Around the World in 80 Days, surprisingly.  Also surprisingly, the Bible study program from SimplyCharlotteMason.com.  Latin is always a hit, as is DuoLingo Spanish, although she did complain a little about all the review at the start of Latin's Not So Tough Level 6, so we flew through it and moved on to new concepts quickly.  Everything else is more or less okay with her.

Everyone -- The SCM memory work system, using OneNote; they are excited when I move one of their verses and give them a new one.  Free-form science.  Rocksmith for the guitars.  Aaron Copland and Thomas Cole for our first composer and artist; somehow, they all adored the Cole works (even the baby; he carried the prints around for a while, pointing everything out), and it's really hard to argue with Darth Vader, er, James Earl Jones reading the Gettysburg Address against a musical backdrop when you love Star Wars and have been to the site of the GA.  Also, Physics Lab in a Housewares Store is a hit.

Misses

Little guys -- nothing, really.

5th grader -- DuoLingo Italian.  Not his thing.  I'm totally cool with that.  We stopped that in favor of some math facts practice.  Also, he's not a fan of big one-hour blocks of time with me; he likes working with me for about thirty minutes, working on his own for a while, then working with me again.

8th grader -- None of her curricula, really.  She hated Things Fall Apart; she's a sensitive soul, and there was a killing scene that really upset her.  I opted to ditch it and move on.  Plenty of other good stuff to read.

Everyone -- Mr. Q Physical Science.  I want to like Mr. Q, really I do.  But it's just not working for us right now.  We've switched to a less structured format for science and are liking it so much better.

Hits: BA, SOTW, cryptography, coding + the nitty gritty of computer hardware, French, Bible, art, additional music study

Misses: general physical science. He wants something less....general :).

Mega-hit: Home Economics. Seriously, the boy cannot wait for free time to continue working on his sewing projects and even suggested additional days to work on cooking and baking. Totally blew me out of the water.

Mega-hit-for-mom: outsourcing English to a friend so I don't have to do anything with it. Happy dance!!

Hits thus far:

AAR

AAS

Right Start Math B.

Beast Academy

Fix It grammar

CAP Writing and Rhetoric Fable

Pentime cursive

RFP Aesop's writing for my first grader (thankfully he likes to color)

Misses of the past:

Writeshop primary

Sonlight (we finished the year (core a for K) and did enjoy it to some extent, it just wasn't the curriculum for us)

2nd Year Kindy (6 years old)

Hits:

AAR

MUS

HWOT

COAH Road trip USA

Sassafras Science

Home Art Studio

Misses:

Sonlight P4/5 - started this last year and really wanted to love it but it's not for us.

Abeka Health, Safety and Manners 1 - it's quick, so that's good but I wanted to use something as a jumping off point for good discussions and have just found it cheesy and a bit inaccurate.

We're only in our 6th week and still have some things coming in like RSO Physics and IEW. Here are our hits and misses thus far for this year. I didn't include things we've used in the past and are continuing to use, just the stuff that's a change.

Hits:

Kinetics

FLL3

German 1 through GaVS

Misses:

MBTP

WWS (I liked it. She didn't.)

Hits:

AAS - slow going, but he's learning!

CLE math - love it! We do about half orally, half written

Sonlight - did core A last year, now on core B. DS declares that "couch time" isn't school

R&S English - we tried a CM-type LA last year, and I hated the non-linear, no scope and sequence type of approach. R&S is getting done and I understand what it's teaching and where it's going. Very important to this English major / lit teacher!

Misses:

None yet this year. In the past we've ditched Singapore, MFW, art, and Spanish (for now)

I feel like we're hitting our stride. This is 3rd grade and our 4th year homeschooling. I've learned a ton every year and know this year holds a lot to be discovered, too!

Hits:

Galloping the Globe, mainly the geography, country history, worksheets, and culture study suggestions. I do not incorporate the other suggested studies for LA, science, and other subjects.

MEP

Story of the Orchestra

Poetry reading each morning

Misses:

CLE LA, although doing oral lessons instead of handing the workbook over to them is working for me. I thought I would be happy with handing the workbooks over to my children for independence. I like the material CLE covers, I just can't stand the workbook format. They may like it if I handed it to them, but I just don't want to unless necessary. Chalkboard work and verbal teaching of the written material is working great though. I don't care for the spelling and handwriting like I thought I would when viewing the samples.

For this year, though to be honest, almost everything is a hit! (Yay!)

HITS:

CLE Reading - oldest is getting on amazingly well with this

Just Write

Veritas Self-Paced History

Mary's Grammar - they love this!

AIG Science - surprise! BIGGEST hit this year (first year using)

Apples & Pears spelling

MISSES:

Atelier Art - kids said it felt "old" and boring

MEH:

Pentime - they don't love it but they do it with minimal fuss

CLE Math - it's math...for what it is, they like and tolerate it well enough, but they don't beg to do it.

Home Art Studio - the kids actually quite like this but it annoys me.

• Like 1

Our best new hits:

Learn to draw the whole world $15 PDF download (or first you can try a free ebook download sample) from here:

http://memorize-maps.blogspot.com/

If you ever gave up teaching your kids map drawing after utter frustration with continent blobs, you may be interested in this, too.

Word Wealth, Jr. (out of print but easily found on used book sites).  Best vocabulary program I have used.  I am also using it for spelling, keeping a running list of misspelled words (from WWJ and also from other assignments) and practicing them with dictation sentences.

Dolciani Pre-Algebra, 1988, used with the ***Teacher's Edition***. (The TE is hard to find but very, very worth it.)

The geography download looks fabulous. I'm def. using that this year. Thanks!

As for the OP, it's too soon for me to talk about hits and misses. 

• Like 1

Hits:

Nancy Larson Science (love this so far)

CLE LA has been a huge hit for mom... less of a hit with the kids

Saxon math continues to work beautifully for everyone

SOTW

Human Odyssey

Mom pulled together read alouds that are much shorter in length than Sonlight's suggestions... Just enough to be fun!

Misses:

Prima Latina

Overall, this has probably been one of our best starts to a school year.

Hits:

* BraveWriter poetry teas and Jot It Down

* Michael Clay Thompson Island level

* Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

* RightStart Math (mostly)

* self-made history

Misses:

* All About Spelling

* Song School Spanish

* The Fun Spanish

* Risas y Sonrisas

(There's a theme of Spanish programs that haven't worked for us here.)

ETA: missed that this was fo this year, so my hits/misses are for about the last 12 months.

All hits so far this year (seven weeks in)!

The Fun Spanish

Climbing To Good English (not new, but we do still love)

CLE Math

First Start Reading from Memoria Press

New American Cursive

One & One...one hour listening to me read, one hour of him reading every day.

My first grader likes AAR 1 and MEP 1.

As a group I include my preschooler with us when we do poetry tea time, BFSU (big hit for all), and my kids are getting a huge kick out of Muzzy - the old fashioned cheesy graphics make me nostalgic for late 70's cartoons (and I can't believe the kids are figuring out some Spanish).

Now, our picture study is not going well. None of us are really getting the point of these "talks". Also, my first grader was super excited about recorder but even I am having a hard time with our text (whose name escapes me at the moment).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I haven't had any misses so far, but my biggest hit - CLE phonics. My 6 year old dd struggled last year with phonics, big time! She just didn't "get" it. So, I decided to try again this year, but with CLE. I noticed the Mennonite curriculums don't start school until 1st grade, so I figured I'd try their beginning phonics program geared toward first graders. Wow, hit the ball out of the park.

• Like 3

We'll we're only one week in, but most of these things we've used since last year:

HITS FOR 6th/7th GRADER:

Math Mammoth.  Older DD requested that we continue with MM.  I love this math program.

Student Writing Intensive A (sort of)  This is a semi-hit. We've been using it since last spring.  It's super hard for older DD and I'm very willing to set it aside temporarily, BUT she really wants to stick with it, so... we muddle on I guess?  

Dover Coloring Books (Fashions of India, Renaissance) 

Immersion Reading / Whispersync -- OK, it's not a curriculum, more of a tool.  DD has a very tough time with reading.  Using immersion reading on our kindle fire allows her to read the books her friends are reading.  This is huge!! 

HITS FOR 5th GRADER:

Teaching Textbooks 5 - This is our 2nd year using TT.  Some parts annoy me, but she chose to continue this program, and she's learning math, so... what's not to love?

Writing Strands - I have NO idea why this curriculum gets such a bad rap.  It fits my 10 yo like a glove.  I love, love, love it, and she doesn't hate it and seems to enjoy doing it. 

Dover Coloring Books (Fashions of Ancient Egypt, Fashions of India)  

Letting Her Pick Her Reading Books - This kiddo is a very strong reader but hasn't developed a love of reading.  So, I'm letting her pick whatever books she wants (within reason).  She's currently into Fashion Academy, Whatever After, and the Magic Pets series.  These books are waaaaay below her actual reading level, BUT she's starting to enjoy reading, so I'm pretty happy :)