Menu

If possible private school

Hi ladies,

DH and I have been talking a lot lately and it's very possible that our dd (5th grade) will go to a private school in 7th or 8th grade. This is a very good school. Extremely strong academically. And really in every other way. If you knew you were likely going to put a child in private school in a few years, would you do anything differently to prepare? Would you use a certain curriculum? Online classes to get accustomed to other teachers? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

I would seize the opportunity to do as much non-schooly educational stuff as possible.  Go to Shakespeare matinees.  Visit museums full of ancient artifacts or abstract artworks.  Get together with friends and put on a child-created performance of Greek myths.  Travel to big cities and small towns and foreign countries.  Make friends with families who have way more money than you, or way less.  Talk to old people about their hobbies.  Sing.  Dance.  Read.  Explore.  

Yes, you'll want to make sure their math is up to snuff, and that they can write short answers to textbook questions, and that kind of thing.  But don't miss the priceless opportunity to build a solid, complex web of knowledge and experiences that will inform and underpin their learning for many, many years to come.  

• Like 6

I'd start buying lottery tickets. (Seriously, BTDT, there are a lot of incidental costs apart from tuition!)

I'd look at the curriculum she'd be going into and get her into a trajectory to be in step with the others at the point of admission, even if you don't use exactly the same curriculum the school is using. If it is easy and possible to start using the school's curriculum and you know that she will be going there for sure, maybe go ahead and make a curriculum switch.

I would seize the opportunity to do as much non-schooly educational stuff as possible. Go to Shakespeare matinees. Visit museums full of ancient artifacts or abstract artworks. Get together with friends and put on a child-created performance of Greek myths. Travel to big cities and small towns and foreign countries. Make friends with families who have way more money than you, or way less. Talk to old people about their hobbies. Sing. Dance. Read. Explore.

Yes, you'll want to make sure their math is up to snuff, and that they can write short answers to textbook questions, and that kind of thing. But don't miss the priceless opportunity to build a solid, complex web of knowledge and experiences that will inform and underpin their learning for many, many years to come.

Were you trying to convince me to keep homeschooling??? 😀. This response actually made me want to keep going and seize these more often!! Food for thought. Thanks!

Were you trying to convince me to keep homeschooling??? 😀. This response actually made me want to keep going and seize these more often!! Food for thought. Thanks!

Nope, just know from experience how little time there is for that kind of thing when you're operating on a school schedule and/or as you move into the upper grades, and how very, very valuable it can be in later years to have that foundation.  Good luck, whichever direction you end up choosing.  You've got some time.  Don't close any doors, and the right path will become clear when you get there.  :-)