Menu

Apologia Physical Science

Meg6993

I kind of have two questions with this one.

1- Would Apologia Physical Science be considered Integrated Physics & Chemistry? It says that the course can be done in 8th or 9th - so since it references a possibility of being done in High School, I'm wondering if it could be considered Integrated Physics & Chemistry??

2- Is Physical Science necessary? Say someone did Apologia General Science in 8th. Can they just jump to Apologia Biology in 9th? (skipping Physical Science in 8th)

1.  No.  There's almost no chemistry.  

2.  Yes they can skip Physical Science, if they  are ready for more work and more detail oriented learning, as well as harder and more expensive labs.  If you don't follow directions well in Physical you most likely can re-do the lab for free.  If you don't follow directions with Biology, you now need to order more specimens, etc.  :o) The labs will be a lot harder in Biology, and there will be more new material that your student has never seen or experienced.  General Science is a lot of review of elementary science ideas...Physical Science take ideas from the physical world and explores them in greater depth and in way that looks "under the surface."  Once you get to Biology, the student is exploring a world of Science he or she has probably not seen or heard much of. My son can't wait to take those kinds of courses, and thought Physical Science was rather boring. OTOH, it's going to be harder.

I only have an 8th grader so I am not an expert but this is just from my own thoughts and research.  He did Physical as a 7th grader, and it was SO EASY even through Apologia Academy which made the paperwork and testing workload VERY heavy and VERY hard, so I can't even imagine an average 9th grader enjoying Physical Science or learning from it...It's really a 7th-8th grade course.

No, it's not integrated physics & chemistry.    I think it could be done in high school, but it's much less intense than Biology.

My science-loving 8th grader was going to take Apologia Physical Science this year, but we decided at the end of last school year to join a new co-op this fall, and he had the opportunity to enroll in Apologia Biology this fall instead.   So he decided to do Physical Science over the summer, on his own (yes, he loves science that much).   He did great, did one module per week, and is just now finishing up Physical Science, while at the same time starting his Biology home assignments from his co-op teacher.   He is already telling me how much "heavier" the Biology workload seems compared to Physical Science.

I don't think Physical Science is necessary, but from what I've seen, the workload would double going straight to Biology from General Science.  If the student was motivated, it could be done.   But if the student was not science-minded and not interested in a STEM career, I would consider Physical Science to be high school credit-worthy, as long as the labs were all done, complete with writeups, etc.   I have many friends whose children had no interest in doing advanced science courses in high school, who did Physical Science in 9th grade.  

• Like 1