Menu

Scratch vs MMF for App development

u2006kids

My kids have done Scratch. It's a great, easy way to get started in programming and a very friendly community. There are lots of other ins though... there are courses like the Youth Digital ones, there's Learn to Mod, there's Code Academy, there's tutorials for Ruby and Alice and Python all for kids... None of these are for app development specifically though. There are some things that let you develop apps for Android, but being OS people, we haven't explored that so much. I'm not familiar with MMF. 

My kids have done Scratch. It's a great, easy way to get started in programming and a very friendly community. There are lots of other ins though... there are courses like the Youth Digital ones, there's Learn to Mod, there's Code Academy, there's tutorials for Ruby and Alice and Python all for kids... None of these are for app development specifically though. There are some things that let you develop apps for Android, but being OS people, we haven't explored that so much. I'm not familiar with MMF. 

What did you all use to teach Scratch?

My daughter took a class from either FundaFunda or Impact Virtual Learning. (I mean, she took classes from both but I don't remember which one was specifically Scratch based.) She also has learned a lot just by messing around on the site. She spends a lot of time on Scratch.

What did you all use to teach Scratch?

There's a book called Super Scratch Programming Adventures that's good - and now there's an updated version as well. But most my kids taught themselves. It's a pretty simple thing and the more you play around with it, the more you learn.

There's a book called Super Scratch Programming Adventures that's good - and now there's an updated version as well. But most my kids taught themselves. It's a pretty simple thing and the more you play around with it, the more you learn.

Thanks... i let them read the book after listening to an online class. makes retention much easier.now need to find an online class.