Menu

Speech therapy at home

Mabeline

My sister's 4yo dd has a speech impediment that did not qualify for speech therapy, but according to my sister she is not understandable most of the time. She tends to drop the beginning sounds of words and has a hard time pronouncing many sounds. The dropping of the first sounds is what makes her very hard to understand. Sometimes my sister can figure out what dd is saying, but lots of times she just gives up and says never mind. :-(

This just breaks my heart. My sister really doesn't want dd to give up and stop talking, but it so difficult to understand her. She had testing done at the local school and the lady at first said that she would qualify, but today my sister got the official results and she did not qualify for speech therapy.

Does anyone have any ideas of exercises she could do at home with her dd? Websites or even curriculum?

Thanks!

Maybe take a look at Super Star Speech? It's been helpful for us. You can also find a lot of games to practice different aspects for speech free online. You have to print and make them, but they're free. Don't have links at the moment, but just a general search for something like "preschool speech therapy games" should get you to some good SLP blogs.

• Like 1

Have your sister or check your library for "Teach Me How to Say it Right" by Dorothy Dougherty. It will give her a guide listing the sounds and by what age a child should be able to pronounce them. The second half of the book has exercises to help the child with these sounds. See if it is helpful for the time being, if private testing is not an option.

I don't have suggestions, but has she tried going through her health insurance for a private speech therapist? Our therapist said the guideline is about 75% intelligible to non-family by age four. I asked our family doctor for a referral to a speech therapist for an evaluation, and they found one who worked with our insurance. I would have her try for a second opinion, because that doesn't sound right to me, if even the little girl's mother is having significant trouble understanding her.

• Like 2