Menu

Looking for a simple machines kit

My3girls

I've seen a few out there.  I just want to be sure I get one that is going to reinforce our forces and motion unit well, and I need good instructions because I am not mechanically inclined.  Please, let me know what you used, if you would recommend it, and why or why not.  They all cost a bit, and I really do not want to lose money on this, kwim?  Thanks so much for the help.

I bought this kit due to overall value. It includes projects for lots of types of simple machines. Other brands of kits were half to the same price for just one or two types of simple machines. The product is high quality, the instructions are good, the end projects are quite large in size in comparison to something like Lego. However, only one project can be built at a time by one person. Of course, two people can help one another, but there's only enough pieces for one project at a time. Also, the projects take more time to assemble than I wanted. I would have rather had something quick to assemble so we could focus on the lesson. I haven't used the product with my DD yet, only completed a couple of projects on my own time to test it. We start our unit on simple machines next week. There are not lessons/worksheets for every project, just select ones. The worksheets are pretty decent, though. What I like about Lego is the creative problem/solution aspect. From what I've seen in an online sample (I was considering the elementary kit, not the middle/high school one), Lego has a project the student builds to learn the lesson. Another lesson gives the student a scenario and he/she has to figure out something to build using the parameters provided. Lego also provides enough blocks for a small group of students. Overall, this is a very good product, but I still covet Lego. On the flip side, you can only build a couple of projects with Lego. If you have a student who loves to build, this kit offers many projects. I looked at K'Nex, but couldn't find a sample of the lessons, so they lost out on my money.

5165ciYxDJL._AA160_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Engino-Simple-Machines-Construction-Set/dp/B005FYOAS4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1441368236&sr=8-6&keywords=simple+machines+kit

• Like 2

I bought this kit due to overall value. It includes projects for lots of types of simple machines. Other brands of kits were half to the same price for just one or two types of simple machines. The product is high quality, the instructions are good, the end projects are quite large in size in comparison to something like Lego. However, only one project can be built at a time by one person. Of course, two people can help one another, but there's only enough pieces for one project at a time. Also, the projects take more time to assemble than I wanted. I would have rather had something quick to assemble so we could focus on the lesson. I haven't used the product with my DD yet, only completed a couple of projects on my own time to test it. We start our unit on simple machines next week. There are not lessons/worksheets for every project, just select ones. The worksheets are pretty decent, though. What I like about Lego is the creative problem/solution aspect. From what I've seen in an online sample (elementary kit, not middle or high school), Lego has a project the student builds to learn the lesson. Another lesson gives the student a scenario and he/she has to figure out something to build using the parameters provided. Lego also provides enough blocks for a small group of students. Overall, this is a very good product, but I still covet Lego. On the flip side, you can only build a couple of projects with Lego. If you have a student who loves to build, this kit offers many projects. I looked at K'Nex, but couldn't find a sample of the lessons, so they lost out on my money.

5165ciYxDJL._AA160_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Engino-Simple-Machines-Construction-Set/dp/B005FYOAS4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1441368236&sr=8-6&keywords=simple+machines+kit

This is the one I was going to recommend.

The kit from pp looks great!

We used the simple machines kits from K'nex Education. We have 3 kits, gears, levers and pulleys, and wheels. My ds have learned a lot from the kits. Good instruction, plus optional (very comprehensive) teacher manual can be purchased for each kit. But you would have to buy three kits to get all the machines. As with the Engino kit, you cannot make all the projects at once, lol.

If you want to extend into basic physical science, I would recommend looking at Home Science Tools kits and products from Arbor Scientific and Flinn Scientific. (Flinn also has games and kits.)

• Like 3