Menu

Cakey, Pinteresty Types, I need your sagacity UPDATED the party's over!

RioSamba

7 members have voted

1. 1. The Question of the Cake

• Use a round cutter to make small cakes that you can layer, as pictured in the blog
    • Make a second large layer and have a traditionally sized two layer cake
    • There is another option, I will explain

I've just baked this first birthday cake from the hellobee blog:

http://www.hellobee.com/2013/04/29/diy-healthy-smash-cake/

I didn't have the 5" pans, and didn't buy them as intended (time SHRUNK, really). I baked it in a single round layer, 8" or 9", who can say? It looks and smells lovely.

For my next feat of last minute hostessing, should I use a cutter to make little rounds, ending up with a petite layer cake as in the blog? It won't be 5", but I don't think the baby needs 5". I could frost the leftover bits like petits fours so that guests could also try Baby's cake. I do like the look of the small cake. So adorable!

I could also make a second large layer and just serve baby a slice.

There is another cake, chocolate of course, for everyone else.

I've had two grandparents and one parent in the hospital this last week, I haven't slept in a year, and I am like a deer in the headlights with this cake! I need the Hive to rescue me from indecision!

If the cake in question will be served whole to the baby as a "smash cake" for photos, I would do the cute small size — but only if you have time. It sounds like things are really hectic for you right now, so if just baking one more regular layer and making a regular sized cake is easier on you, I would just do that.

BTW, the recipe for that cake looks awesome — I have a bunch of mushy bananas and I think I'm going to make that cake today!

• Like 2

You can go either way. The petite cake is cute and if you freeze it before cutting it should cut easily.

I've done the smash cake three different ways with three different kids. The third got a slice and he was the only one who really ate it. None of mine really smashed the cake, probably because we had spent the last several months trying to teach them not to play with their food.

• Like 1

I'd never even heard of smash cakes until my caboose came along! Back in ancient times with DD and DS 1 they just had a slice. Actually, DD was so long ago that cake hadn't been invented. She had to walk uphill both ways to her party and eat whatever game her cave daddy smashed😉

• Like 3

You think that's life changing, you should go to Hobby Lobby and sign up to take the cake decorating classes.  You'll gain 15 pounds from baking sample cakes, and if you have a genetic propensity to diabetes you might hasten it, but it's totally worth it.  Wait until you learn to bake 6 layer fruit or chocolate ganache filled tortes.

When you're done with the classes, substitute real, salted butter for the shortening in a buttercream recipe.  Your life will be forever changed and you'll never eat nasty store bought buttercream again.

• Like 2

I have wanted to take a cake decorating class forever, it is definitely on the to do list! Right now I'm waiting for LO to stop nursing so I can make a last minute grocery run & finish up his cake. I'm leaning heavily towards the smaller, layered smash cake.

We are three hours and fifteen minutes from guest arrival. Guest composition as follows:

60% Happy, cheerful, appreciative no matter what

20% Unpredictable

20% Crabby, disapproving, and all knowing

• Like 1

I have wanted to take a cake decorating class forever, it is definitely on the to do list! Right now I'm waiting for LO to stop nursing so I can make a last minute grocery run & finish up his cake. I'm leaning heavily towards the smaller, layered smash cake.

We are three hours and fifteen minutes from guest arrival. Guest composition as follows:

60% Happy, cheerful, appreciative no matter what

20% Unpredictable

20% Crabby, disapproving, and all knowing

Let us know how it goes, I'm sure it was a lovely party.

I highly recommend the classes at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or a cake decorating store if you are fortunate enough to live in an area that has one.  Of course it's been 15 years (how has it been that long?) since I took them and that was before Cake Central or YouTube really took off.  You can learn a ton just watching videos online.  Since having my 3rd child and starting homeschooling I rarely have time to decorate cakes anymore except for my kids' birthdays.

• Like 1

First, thank you all so much for your great advice. I decided to go for the layers! I froze the cake while I shopped, cut three 4" layers, then crumb coated (!!!!!!). I snuck back into the kitchen later to finish frosting. I don't think I let the Greek yogurt drain quite long enough; the frosting was a bit runny, but not fatally so. Everyone LOVED the little cake thought it was adorable. The baby ate about half the cake!

Everyone was cheerful, delighted, and delightful to host, even the 20% that aren't usually like that. It was fun! But how did my tiny baby turn into a one year old?

Thanks for the class recommendations, they are on my wish list!

• Like 4