Menu

LD Homeschool Grad - Thank you

SailorMom

So - I homeschooled my youngest from 1st grade through high school completion, and I thought I'd let ya'll know how it went since I was on here a lot :)

Thank you all for the help I got here!  Your advice and recommendations were priceless.

DS17 has dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, had oral motor apraxia, has heterotopias in his frontal lobes, btw.  We were told by the PS he'd be placed in a separate Special Ed class, that he didn't really have anything wrong, he just had a low IQ, and that he was simply working at his level so they wouldn't help him. 

How wrong they were.

I don't want this to come off as a brag thread, but it is a little :)  Mostly, though, it's encouragement. 

It works, it's worth it, you are capable, and in the end you won't regret it.  Oh the sleepless nights...  All the second guessing and worry, all the hours of meticulously comparing curriculum, all the days of speech, occupational, or other therapy...  it all pays off :)

Anyway - he graduated high school a year early!!!  He started taking CC classes a year ago part time, but we realized... he was just ready to move on.  He's at a CC this semester full time and will be going to WNMU full time in the Spring. 

He still can't really spell, lol, but spell check is a life saver.  Oh, and his handwriting is still rather atrocious.

I was so worried.  You know - when you finally find out if homeschooling was actually the right choice, lol....  When you find out if all the "weird" things you decided to do actually worked.  It was scary.

He easily placed into college classes.  He had to take their Accuplacer (sometimes call the Compass), and did fantastic!

He managed a B in College Algebra and in Spanish (if you had told me that 3 years ago I would have never believed it possible)!!!  A's in other classes. 

So - hang in there. 

You are capable.

It is worth it.

:grouphug:

• Like 14

Congratulations to you and your son, SailorMom! That sigh of relief combined with sheer joy at your son's accomplishment is palpable. These stories of children achieving well beyond what public school officials predicted are multiplying and becoming a mountain of evidence that our children CAN learn!

My son has some of the same labels, but he is now in the 2nd year of a computer science and IT double major program, with a physics minor thrown in for good measure. And, yes, handwriting, spelling, and writing papers are still not his forte. But the use of word processing and majoring in an area of strength means that he is doing just fine!

• Like 2