Menu

Cuisenaire rods

learntosoar

This is my first post. I'm wanting to introduce my DD (almost 3) to math in a fun way. I am planning on buying some cuisenaire rods and let her start exploring.

Based on the advice from previous posts I'm going to use the Cuisenaire Activity and Exploration Book for pre Miquon kids by Miranda Hughes and videos @ Education unboxed.

Does anyone have any experience with the books sold through the Cuisenaire.co.uk?  http://shop.cuisenaire.co.uk/maths-textbook-1/  There are 7 textbooks in this series. Also, workbooks http://shop.cuisenaire.co.uk/set-of-cuisenaire-workbooks-1-6/

There are some interesting videos on this site.

• Like 1

I haven't used the resources you linked, but Pre Miquin Kids and Rducation Unboxed are great!! We also used an older version of the Cuisenaire Rods Alphabet activity book. Honestly though, the best introductory activities were playing with the rods. My kids made pictures, built towers, created patterns, etc on their own by having a chance to simply play with the rods.

• Like 1

We have a block/building cabinet in our play/learning room.  Magnatiles, Duplos, Tegu, Wooden Stacking Robots by Vilac, Haba blocks, Uncle Goose wooden blocks, and our Jumbo C-rods.  These are perfect for exploration.  They are not as easy to lose and not as small and chokeable as the workbook sized ones.  It has been amazing what they've discovered just by playing.  I had intentions of using that pre-miquon book, but I decided to look at it myself and then just decided to add the blocks to their play cabinet and let them go.  Sometimes they will ignore these for the magnatiles/tegu, but then they'll come back and add them into a building.  Sometimes the one rod, white cube, become sugar cubes in our pretend tea parties.

I've never used any books pre-Miquon. I just let mine play.

My youngest will be 3 in December.  Just today, I sat with her and we lined up rods from smallest to tallest.  She likes to just play with the rods.  I'll let her go through all of the stages of play and then we'll do Miquon when she's ready.

The books from the UK have me intrigued.  Are there any samples online?

I have always wondered. Does anyone know why the US sets have a purple four rod and ours {NZ} and the UK have a bright pink four rod?

Being in the US, I was not aware of the color difference. My best guess is someone thought we poor incompetent Americans might mix up the pinks with the reds. While choking on Kinder Eggs. [emoji34]
  • Like 2

The textbooks look like reprints of the old Gattegno texts.  I wonder if they changed anything.  Here is my old saved link of book 1:

http://issuu.com/eswi/docs/gattegno-math-textbook-1 

If I remember correctly, this entire series was available to read online.  I will look through my old links and downloads and see if I can find and post all of them.

• Like 3

The textbooks look like reprints of the old Gattegno texts. I wonder if they changed anything. Here is my old saved link of book 1:

If I remember correctly, this entire series was available to read online. I will look through my old links and downloads and see if I can find and post all of them.

Yep, those are the ones. Somewhere (memory fails) there are also some very cool old films available online (perhaps on YouTube?) with Gattengno.

Bill

• Like 1

Yep, those are the ones. Somewhere (memory fails) there are also some very cool old films available online (perhaps on YouTube?) with Gattengno.

Bill

This is the one I remember.  I think there may be others if you look around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrMty8v2DqI 

Well, my old Gattegno link isn't working anymore.  :sad: A few years ago a fellow board member sent me a link to a large Gattegno library, including the textbooks mentioned upthread.  We had planned to begin reading through them that year, but I didn't get very far.  I wonder if his works are being reprinted now, so the original versions online have been removed (?).

• Like 1

The textbooks look like reprints of the old Gattegno texts.  I wonder if they changed anything.  Here is my old saved link of book 1:

If I remember correctly, this entire series was available to read online.  I will look through my old links and downloads and see if I can find and post all of them.

Oh, I just lost a day devouring Gattengo's early books.  Love!   I may lose every evening for a few weeks over this discovery.

And, Spy Car Bill, how have we talked math for *YEARS* without a discussion on Gattengo!?!  I've checked through archived threads.  You seem to have known.  :toetap05:  :tongue_smilie:

My first reaction is that I think Miquon is enough, but Gattengo's textbooks lay out the learning in detailed explanation.  

• Like 2

Oh, I just lost a day devouring Gattengo's early books.  Love!   I may lose every evening for a few weeks over this discovery.

And, Spy Car Bill, how have we talked math for *YEARS* without a discussion on Gattengo!?!  I've checked through archived threads.  You seem to have known.  :toetap05:  :tongue_smilie:

My first reaction is that I think Miquon is enough, but Gattengo's textbooks lay out the learning in detailed explanation.  

Oops :D

I wasn't holding out on you Paula, honest!

Bill

• Like 1

Oh yay!  So there are more books in that link!?  I didn't spend much time on it this morning and thought it only linked to one...now I am seeing lots.  :hurray:

• Like 1

Watching one of Gattegno's videos was what pushed me to take the leap into trying Cuisenaire rods. We used a free intro booklet and some Education Unboxed videos to get started, then moved on to Miquon.

It looks like the Gattegno books go far beyond Miquon's 3rd grade. Any idea how to compare or line-up the two programs? Suggestions for combining?

Argh, yet another great resource putting a monkey wrench into my planning sequence!