Menu

Types of writing...research, expository, persuasive, various essays, etc

ikuradesuka

I'm looking for a something that explains the different types of writing, and why one would chose one kind or another.  My kids (and I, I confess), are such top to bottom learners that random writing assignments just frustrate all of us.  We've looked at various curriculums, but they all just seem to be pieces.  We need MUCH more information.  

For example, my six year old asked how much a plane ticket cost.  I tried to give an easy answer, but gave up and said, "So, there's this thing called Economics."  And then had a 15 minute discussion on supply and demand.  She (and my 8 year old, who appeared when I started explaining) were finally satisfied.  

So, I need to be able to say to them, "People write for a lot of reasons, and different types of writing are used to help convey the writers message.  (Insert all possibilities, while drawing a flow chart/outline)."  I know that after I can get that sorted out for them, they will be so much more confident.  

Any suggestions?

I can't remember how I stumbled upon this free pdf. Probably a fellow boardie's suggestion.

https://enotez.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/new-world-student-writing-handbook.pdf

Part III gives you many types of writing. It provides a sample for English by type of writing assignment. If you look inside there's a link that takes you to the website and you will see samples for social studies, sciences and so on too.

• Like 2

I have used three different resources to introduce my DS8 and DD5 to the concept of "genre" (as well as lots of other literary concepts) -

Razzle Dazzle Writing - This is more of a book about writing, but each of the main sections has maybe a page long intro to that genre.

Forms and Elements of Literature - This is kind of a thin book, but the first third of the lessons talk a lot about different genres.

Figuratively Speaking - This has a brief lesson on Genre on pg 80.

FWIW, all three of these resources are "workbooks", but we only do them orally, just having a conversation and coming up with all our own examples and such. Done that way, they are quite age-appropriate for little ones, and my kids have found them really fun. we also then enjoy using what we learned as we do other school work, identifying genres, similes, alliteration, showing not telling, etc. Great stuff!