Menu

Math Help Grade 3 to 4

Scrappy11

Last year for third grade, I used Horizons math with my dd. I chose it partly because of the colorful pages and partly due to its spiral approach. My dd however needs short lessons. I read C Duffy's review which says something along the lines of it having a lot of extra practice problems, so we skip quite a few. I'm fnding it takes her 20-30 minutes to complete one sd

Oops! Ok, it takes that long to get one side done. I have justified it up to this point telling myself it's okay because the curric. is advanced, etc. Now that we're starting 4th grade and we're only halfway thru the book, it's bothering me! Not sure if I should get a new curriculum with fewer problems so I can feel better, or just keep pushing thru. I know I can adapt the curriculum to my needs, but I don't like how it feels to go half speed and skip problems.

I have two (well maybe more but whatever) thoughts on this.

One, don't think of the lesson being half done. Think of it as being done enough for her to learn it. That is all it's there for anyway. There is no rule book that says ALL problems have to be done. The worksheets are made to assist all types of children. Some need less practice problems so they will be able to do less. Some need more and will do them all. Fit it to your child.

Two, Do part of it during "school time" and make part of it homework if she is moving slowly. The thought of doing homework may enable her to work a little fast to complete all the problems.

However, I am not a proponent of finishing a whole worksheet if it isn't needed. We use Saxon math. I have them do the odd problems. If they get them all right then they are done. If they don't we go over them and then they do a matching number of even problems. So if they got 3 problems wrong then they correct them and do three even problems. This way they aren't bogged down and they get more correct.

• Like 2