Menu

Would this bother anyone else? (language)

marbel

Every week I get email from my library with a list of all the new books coming in.    This week there is a book title that really bothers me: F*ck Feelings: One Shrink's Practical Advice for Managing all Life's Impossible Problems.   It's spelled just that way, with the * taking the place of the u (as if that hides the real word somehow). 

It's just jarring to me, to see that.  That used to be an unmentionable word.  It's still unmentionable in my house.  And yet there it is going to be, on the library shelves.

Grumble grumble... am I the only one bothered by this kind of thing?  

Obviously I won't be checking out the book (for those who might be tempted to say "if you don't want to see it, don't read it).  But of course it could be a great book. To me the title is off-putting, to say the least.  Perhaps it makes the book attractive to others? 

It would bother me a lot.  If you need to use the F word and call yourself a shrink, I really would not take you seriously.  

I have a lot more to say, but I will leave it at that for now.

Oh definitely.  This dude would never be on my consideration list professionally either.

But again, there are others out there he might be perfect for - just not me.

• Like 4

It would bother me a lot.  If you need to use the F word and call yourself a shrink, I really would not take you seriously.  

The phrase that came to my mind on seeing it is "how juvenile."  But that is how I was raised - that people who used profanity regularly were juvenile (and had limited vocabularies).

I realize that is not typical now.

• Like 6

The phrase that came to my mind on seeing it is "how juvenile."  But that is how I was raised - that people who used profanity regularly were juvenile (and had limited vocabularies).

I realize that is not typical now.

It's still typical in my world.  ;)

I guess it all depends upon who one has in their IRL circle.

• Like 2

I think it is designed to attract a certain type of person, and that's what titles are for. My husband would be way more likely to pick it up with that title. He is not juvenile. He's a responsible adult who works long hours, with major responsibilities, wears dress shirts and dress pants to work at a fortune 500 company. He also swears a LOT. So do most the people he works with. I don't love it, but it doesn't change who he is. It's a habit. One I've tried breaking him of. Not going to happen. (oddly enough, the children have never repeated anything he says. The one time I said "Damn it" in front of them they immediately repeated it. Not fair. )

• Like 14

There is a time and a place for lots of words.  This word is appropriate to the intent of the book.  I just purchased it btw. 

I really think you are making too much of it.  What happened to freedom of speech?  This book wouldn't be in the kid's section.  KWIM?

I'm not asking for the book to be banned or removed from the library shelves.  

Just wondering if a word that used to be taboo, still is.   Obviously, it's not. 

• Like 2

Nope. Wouldn't bother me. If it bothers you fine, but I think you can forgo the judgement about other people (ie. juvenile, limited vocabulary, etc). It's likely that you're not the target audience. That doesn't mean that the other people in this equation (the author for example) are somehow not professional or not worthy of taking seriously.

• Like 14

It's taboo to some and not to others.  Which is fine, but it's unfair to call people juvenile for that reason.

I thought I was clear that "how juvenile" was the phrase that came to mind because of the way I was raised.   I wasn't calling anyone a juvenile.

• Like 4

:001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes:

No one needs to use those words. They do because they like them or because they feel it's the most effective way to get their point across. Just like any other word.

It's kind of hilarious to me how people say that people who swear must have a limited vocabulary when they are the ones wanting everyone to limit their vocabulary. 

• Like 24

I think it is designed to attract a certain type of person, and that's what titles are for. My husband would be way more likely to pick it up with that title. He is not juvenile. He's a responsible adult who works long hours, with major responsibilities, wears dress shirts and dress pants to work at a fortune 500 company. He also swears a LOT. So do most the people he works with. I don't love it, but it doesn't change who he is. It's a habit. One I've tried breaking him of. Not going to happen. (oddly enough, the children have never repeated anything he says. The one time I said "Damn it" in front of them they immediately repeated it. Not fair. )

Twice my kids have heard me say "what the hell..."  They were positively  gleeful and couldn't wait for dad to get home so they could tell him I cursed. :lol:

• Like 4

There is a time and a place for lots of words.  This word is appropriate to the intent of the book.  I just purchased it btw. 

I really think you are making too much of it.  What happened to freedom of speech?  This book wouldn't be in the kid's section.  KWIM?

Who's curtailing freedom of speech?  Who would care that you bought the book? 

I don't see anyone making too much of it.  The OP asked for opinions about the title and people are giving them to her.  Are we supposed to lie instead?  We don't all have to agree nor be chased off the thread or board because we disagree.

IRL, those I know who use that specific word in their common vocab are juveniles (kids at school almost always in lower level academic classes) and unprofessional (non-white collar jobs).  That's the way I perceive it.  Such is life.  I don't plan on changing simply due to some (or many) on an internet forum that live in different circles than I do.  Why would I?

NOTE:  No one is suggesting you change either.  ;)  We can have differing opinions and still get along on a message board even if we wouldn't necessarily hang out together IRL.

• Like 6

(Similar story) Some time a go, a book came out called "go the f*ck to sleep" and it's a picture book detailing the challenges of living with small children. The book was HUGELY popular with men, and a digital copy circulated among my dh's professional colleagues.

The library bought several copies, but they were put up behind the counters (these were on picture book format and the librarians didn't want small children accidentally stumbling across them).

The language certainly appealed to some. People who didn't read regularly were checking the book out. I don't like the word, and if I check out a book that uses it excessively, I'll stop reading it. BUT others aren't as offended as I am :-) to them it's just a word.

• Like 3

I want that book.

LOL, who would have thought I'd end up promoting the book!  :lol:

I'm thinking over my comment about the perception that people who use profanity casually are juvenile and limited in their vocabularies, and how I could have worded that differently in order to avoid offending people.   But I don't think I can.  It is just a fact, not a value judgement, that when I was young I was raised/taught that people who used those words were juvenile and had limited vocabularies - because there were always better words to use, if one knew them. 

And my personal experience bears that out.  I have a close relative who uses profanity conversationally, and always has.  I would have to say this individual is immature, has a limited vocabulary, and is insensitive to those around him/her - because the person doesn't comply with repeated, polite requests to watch the language (for example, around little kids or elderly people who don't like such language).   So that's just my experience, IRL.

I haven't worked in 18 years but when I did, I heard that word spoken only once in the work environment, and it was clearly meant to be hostile toward the audience. 

That doesn't mean I think that every person who speaks this way is juvenile, etc.  And I know language changes.  I guess I didn't realize how much and how fast it had changed in this respect.

Sorry for offending, anyway. 

• Like 1

I am fed up with the increasing crudenss and vulgarity of society. I read a review of a comedy movie and the review said the 90 minute movie had about 100 swear words and crude references!

That said, these threads always seem to go the same way. A few people who are fine with swearing tell us to stop judging or being sticks in the mud. They say it's stereotyping to conclude anything about anybody who swears frequently. We are then told that they are "just words" and what's the big deal. Sometimes someone will bring up slut-shaming or racist comments as examples of words we are "allowed" to disapprove of.

/vent over

• Like 5

That said, these threads always seem to go the same way. A few people who are fine with swearing tell us to stop judging or being sticks in the mud. They say it's stereotyping to conclude anything about anybody who swears frequently. We are then told that they are "just words" and what's the big deal. Sometimes someone will bring up slut-shaming or racist comments as examples of words we are "allowed" to disapprove of.

/vent over

This is always unfortunate. Especially when the op ONLY asked for an opinion on whether or not it offends.

She didn't ask anyone to bash those who answer differently.

• Like 2

It doesn't bother me.  I think the title accomplished its purpose - this conversation has made more people aware of the book and netted at least one more purchase.

I also don't think that word has been universally taboo, ever.  Perhaps it is taboo in your household.  I'm sure there are a lot of households that avoid rough language.  But there are also plenty of households where rough language is the norm.

Is it more polite, more educated, even possibly more civilized to avoid rough language?  Yes.

Does that mean those who use rough language lack virtue?  No.

Does that mean that rough language is never appropriate?  No.

It has a time and a place.  It always has.  It's simply that it used to be used amongst a certain class of... ...lets call them less educated people. And of nearly all men when not in the presence of more refined women. 

One of the results of education and communication being more widely available is that rougher culture is also more widely distributed.  This is a good thing.  Perhaps refinement will be one of the next things to be more widely distributed.  I doubt it, in the face of current culture, but I've been wrong before.

• Like 2

Yeah, you're right.

It still doesn't change the fact that if I were to use the word commonly in my place of employment I wouldn't stay employed. Other swear words might be acceptable given the situation.  That one is not.  Anyone coming in for a job interview using the word wouldn't get a job there either.

For some jobs?  It wouldn't matter.  For others, it most certainly does.

I think it's helpful for readers to realize there are different situations in the real world so they can choose their lives accordingly rather than assuming it's the same everywhere.  This makes different viewpoints rather helpful.

• Like 2

I love these threads because I find my peeps.  :D

The list with this book on it (given that the word was partially obscured by the symbol) would not bother me.  I may or may not read it.  Part of my interest would be as a mental health professional, but I'm really busy lately and have books sitting on my nightstand waiting to be read so I'm not too interested in adding to that.

If I were going to write a book, I would not put the F word in the title because I would want to appeal to a larger audience.  This word was clearly chosen to resonate with a specific audience.

If cursing in general bothers people, then I suspect that this title would bother them.  If not, then not.  Like any other personal choice, it is not possible to take one narrow quality about a person and make a sweeping generalization.  I don't get offended by cursing, though I don't want to see the F word in my FB feed because I don't think it's the appropriate place.

I have outed myself as a curser before, and one probably needs to know a little more about my background in order to make sense of that.  People who don't curse don't bother me.  Many of my choices regarding when and where to curse have to do with knowing my audience because I am not trying to be offensive.  Cursing is a bad habit I allow myself.  I gave up most of the rest of them.  I don't do it in front of my kids (only very rarely and only when they get older).  I'm not "proud" of it, and I won't hide it, either, though I won't let loose without knowing my audience.  God loves me a lot.  :D

• Like 13

Freedom of speech means you can't express yourself about your feelings about the language used in a book title?

Seems to me it ought to work both ways.

• Like 3

I love these threads because I find my peeps.   :D

The list with this book on it (given that the word was partially obscured by the symbol) would not bother me.  I may or may not read it.  Part of my interest would be as a mental health professional, but I'm really busy lately and have books sitting on my nightstand waiting to be read so I'm not too interested in adding to that.

If I were going to write a book, I would not put the F word in the title because I would want to appeal to a larger audience.  This word was clearly chosen to resonate with a specific audience.

If cursing in general bothers people, then I suspect that this title would bother them.  If not, then not.  Like any other personal choice, it is not possible to take one narrow quality about a person and make a sweeping generalization.  I don't get offended by cursing, though I don't want to see the F word in my FB feed because I don't think it's the appropriate place.

I have outed myself as a curser before, and one probably needs to know a little more about my background in order to make sense of that.  People who don't curse don't bother me.  Many of my choices regarding when and where to curse have to do with knowing my audience because I am not trying to be offensive.  Cursing is a bad habit I allow myself.  I gave up most of the rest of them.  I don't do it in front of my kids (only very rarely and only when they get older).  I'm not "proud" of it, and I won't hide it, either, though I won't let loose without knowing my audience.  God loves me a lot.   :D

But see... using words like this one in private or with close friends you know is 100% different than using them in public, esp in professional settings.

If any professional I were at were to commonly use such words, I'd no longer use them, though would leave quietly rather than making a scene.  What they do in their house or with their friends?  Who cares?  To each our own.  In a professional setting I'd definitely think less of them, but we all have our pet peeves and judge accordingly.

This author definitely targeted an audience (and did well with that audience).  I'm just not in it.  I don't give a hoot if others are.

• Like 1

But see... using words like this one in private or with close friends you know is 100% different than using them in public, esp in professional settings.

If any professional I were at were to commonly use such words, I'd no longer use them, though would leave quietly rather than making a scene.  What they do in their house or with their friends?  Who cares?  To each our own.  In a professional setting I'd definitely think less of them, but we all have our pet peeves and judge accordingly.

This author definitely targeted an audience (and did well with that audience).  I'm just not in it.  I don't give a hoot if others are.

I agree.

I doubt he greets people in his office saying, "Come into my f'ing office!  Bring your sh-t with you."  This is just a book title meant to send a message about his subject, which I would imagine is a backlash against all of the focus on feelings for so many years in the mental health field.  It would go hand in hand with the brief, solution-focused therapy and CBT that is currently very popular (for good reason).  

I never cursed in a professional setting or with clients.  If we knew each other IRL and saw each other frequently, you would likely not know that I am a curser.  I have a special folder for cursing friends, and I only let loose in front of them.  There are people I've known for years who would be surprised I am a curser.  I like to keep people guessing.  It's part of my charm.  ;)

• Like 16

Libraries and bookstores carry all types. It's just like going to a museum or an art gallery. There will be benign things, religious things, things that are viewed as obscene, and things that are over the line for some, but not for others. No, it doesn't bother me. If they had it in the children's section, then I would have an issue.

• Like 7

I wouldn't buy it, but I also wouldn't give it much more than a shrug due to language. If I heard that it was a phenomenal book and wanted to read it, I would just put masking tape over the title and read it anyways (unless the book was riddled with heavy language).  

To me the f word is an angry, mad word. I don't care that it is cussing, it is just a word that elicits sad, hurt feelings from me, so I don't like the word.  It makes me want to cower inside. 

(Similar story) Some time a go, a book came out called "go the f*ck to sleep" and it's a picture book detailing the challenges of living with small children. The book was HUGELY popular with men, and a digital copy circulated among my dh's professional colleagues.

The library bought several copies, but they were put up behind the counters (these were on picture book format and the librarians didn't want small children accidentally stumbling across them).

The language certainly appealed to some. People who didn't read regularly were checking the book out. I don't like the word, and if I check out a book that uses it excessively, I'll stop reading it. BUT others aren't as offended as I am :-) to them it's just a word.

Dh and I saw that in a book store on date night and were rolling in the aisle.

It's a word that gives vent to strong feelings, which makes it somewhat ironic in the title. I find that people who are offended by cursing usually (not always) spend most of their time in an insulated culture, whether that be Christian or just primarily around kids. If you spend any amount of time in the secular culture, it would be hard to hang on to sensitivity over language. I am somewhere in the middle. I'm not offended or jarred by cursing, but depending on the quantity or delivery, it can still bother me. My friend, a pastor, once said that if you don't know anyone who uses the f bomb, you probably aren't fulfilling the great commission.

As for this title, I'm not surprised or offended, but I also wouldn't buy it.

• Like 5

Every week I get email from my library with a list of all the new books coming in. This week there is a book title that really bothers me: F*ck Feelings: One Shrink's Practical Advice for Managing all Life's Impossible Problems. It's spelled just that way, with the * taking the place of the u (as if that hides the real word somehow).

It's just jarring to me, to see that. That used to be an unmentionable word. It's still unmentionable in my house. And yet there it is going to be, on the library shelves.

Grumble grumble... am I the only one bothered by this kind of thing?

Obviously I won't be checking out the book (for those who might be tempted to say "if you don't want to see it, don't read it). But of course it could be a great book. To me the title is off-putting, to say the least. Perhaps it makes the book attractive to others?

I saw an interview with the author and I liked what I heard.

I do swear (I grew up in a bar; I guess swear words were some of my first words) but I won't swear in front of people I don't know (in public) or in front of people who don't swear themselves.

I almost wish he would have used a different title so as not to alienate potential readers. But his book, his choice.

I think people who swear can be very nice people and people who don't can be as mean as anything.

Edited to add: I forgot that his daughter who writes comedy also authored it.

• Like 1

OP, I wasn't trying to imply that you shouldn't have started the thread. I'm just annoyed by what these threads turn into.

To me the f word is an angry, mad word.

This is what I don't get about people who say, "What's the big deal? They are just words." Much of the time the word is used as "f- you," which is a very angry expression meant to hurt someone. It's probably called a "curse word" because using it that way is cursing - wishing harm - on someone. Perhaps not literally, but the feeling is there.

Now I know the word is also used other ways, which seems odd to me.

Has anyone else noticed over the last twenty years or so that the use of the s-word in movies and shows has largely been replaced by the f-word? I guess it's the current trendy swear word?

• Like 1

Actually this book looks like it would be extremely helpful to me.  I'm going to buy it. 

I agree.  I went and looked at the book.  I'm not normally a person who buys self-help books, but this seems to be the anti-touchy/feely self-help book, so I'd probably be interested. 

The language seems over the top.  But anyone who mocks Deepak and Oprah whilst telling people to stop their belly-button gazing is probably entertaining. 

• Like 4

I have a copy of that book :)  All the women in my circle think it's hysterical, and I do too. 

• Like 6

I agree.

I doubt he greets people in his office saying, "Come into my f'ing office! Bring your sh-t with you." This is just a book title meant to send a message about his subject, which I would imagine is a backlash against all of the focus on feelings for so many years in the mental health field. It would go hand in hand with the brief, solution-focused therapy and CBT that is currently very popular (for good reason).

I never cursed in a professional setting or with clients. If we knew each other IRL and saw each other frequently, you would likely not know that I am a curser. I have a special folder for cursing friends, and I only let loose in front of them. There are people I've known for years who would be surprised I am a curser. I like to keep people guessing. It's part of my charm. ;)

I curse freely with my therapist. He curses back. I am confident he does not curse with clients who would be offended. I probably didn't curse before we hit the 100th session. And I know he didn't curse before I did.

All that said to say:

1) Texasmama is awesome!!

2) Cursing is sometimes acceptable or even needed in professional situations.

• Like 9

I think the author chose the title very deliberately - partly for it's shock value.  Even if you use the word regularly, we aren't used to hearing it from professionals in self-help books.  He wanted to get our attention.  He got it.  Some have bought it for that reason and (I suspect) because they are drawn to the kind of unvarnished honesty that using that word connotes in that setting.  And some were turned off by it.  I'm sure he knew that would happen and it was a gamble he was willing to make.    

• Like 13

I have a copy of that book :) All the women in my circle think it's hysterical, and I do too.

I enjoyed it too (though didn't indicate that in my original post)

When I said I'd stop reading a book with excessive cursing I meant in novels. In a short picture book that uses the f-word in the title? Well, I knew what I was getting into before I read the first page. The author certainly didn't try to hide his language :-)

• Like 1

Yeah, you're right.

It still doesn't change the fact that if I were to use the word commonly in my place of employment I wouldn't stay employed. Other swear words might be acceptable given the situation.  That one is not.  Anyone coming in for a job interview using the word wouldn't get a job there either.

For some jobs?  It wouldn't matter.  For others, it most certainly does.

I think it's helpful for readers to realize there are different situations in the real world so they can choose their lives accordingly rather than assuming it's the same everywhere.  This makes different viewpoints rather helpful.

I will agree with this, but will clarify that the jobs it is acceptable in are not just low education ones, or blue collar, etc. Trust me, walk into any IT department and you will hear it, if only muttered. People making well over six figures have some of the worst swearing. I do think it's often more creative...they ways they string the words together is pretty impressive sometimes :)

I've heard quite a bit of profanity in veterinary operating rooms also, when things go south. Again, muttered, not yelled AT someone. 

So yeah, some places it is more frequent than others, but it's not about class or economic level. It's about culture maybe. 

• Like 11

OP, I wasn't trying to imply that you shouldn't have started the thread. I'm just annoyed by what these threads turn into.

This is what I don't get about people who say, "What's the big deal? They are just words." Much of the time the word is used as "f- you," which is a very angry expression meant to hurt someone. It's probably called a "curse word" because using it that way is cursing - wishing harm - on someone. Perhaps not literally, but the feeling is there.

Now I know the word is also used other ways, which seems odd to me.

Has anyone else noticed over the last twenty years or so that the use of the s-word in movies and shows has largely been replaced by the f-word? I guess it's the current trendy swear word?

I usually see it where hell used to be. As in, "What the F? "where the F are we going?" Where the F is my phone now?" Or, when slamming thumb with a hammer, "F!"

The people I know that use it do NOT use it to attack others, as in "F you". 

• Like 6

IRL, those I know who use that specific word in their common vocab are juveniles (kids at school almost always in lower level academic classes) and unprofessional (non-white collar jobs).  That's the way I perceive it.  Such is life.  I don't plan on changing simply due to some (or many) on an internet forum that live in different circles than I do.  Why would I?

My biggest surprise when I was in grad school and socializing with the professors, was just how much they swore. Some of these tenured Ph.D.s with hundreds of academic publications were using the F word every third sentence.  :lol:

• Like 2