Menu

centering a HS around science and history for a 9/10 year old

thefragile7393

We will be returning to homeschool next year and already I'm planning ahead.  My 9/10 year old boy wants more history and science, as his 2 years in brick and mortar school has him grumbling about how little they do science and history.  Is there a way to structure a HS program around those two without of course leaving out other important subjects?  I've already reminded him he will need math, reading, spelling, and I like how the WTM has things laid out, I'd just like some ideas on how maybe I could do this from someone more experienced.

I wrote this up for someone else, but thought it might get you thinking.

Weekly Science Unit Study: incorporating Language Arts and Math

Monday: Library day
Math: textbook day #1
Library day: choose science books to read that will be used for the whole week, ending in a report/poster/presentation on Friday
Independent reading while you work with other child
Spelling and vocabulary: choose words child likes from science reading and copy into notebook
Writing instruction: teach 1 new thing on mondays - intro sentence, or organizing ideas, or taking notes, or writing citations, etc
Writing: copy a favorite science quote into a commonplace book, do dictation from science reading, outline a paragraph from reading, etc (very classical: copy work, dictation, outlining)

Tuesday: Experimenting day
Math: textbook day #2
Experimenting day #1: work on kit, experiment, observation outside etc
Spelling and vocabulary: drill
Grammar instruction: evaluate grammatical structure of sentence in reading, diagram it
Writing: take notes to prepare for assignment

Wednesday: Experimenting day
Math: textbook day #3
Experimenting day #2: work on kit, experiment, observation outside etc
Research instruction: how to use computer to find info needed for report, or poster etc
Writing: begin drafting science report, or captions for poster, or outlining presentation

Thursday: Documentary day
Math: teach or study math that has been found in this week's science reading. Study graphs/diagrams, look up statistics, teach graphing, recalculate numbers, teach estimation of population size, or study how far apart stars are etc.
Documentary or youtube day: find some good science stuff and enjoy!
Thursday and Friday's readings would be about related topics, but not the ones they are currently writing about.
grammar instruction: evaluating grammar of child's sentences he wrote yesterday or today. You can use this to help the older identify his own awkward sentences as he gets older.
Writing: finish drafting science report, or captions for poster, or designing presentation

Friday: Put-it-all-together day
Math: Draw own graph or work through additional calcuations from reading to put into report, poster, or presentation
Independent reading while you work with other child.
Spelling and vocabulary: informal quiz
Editing instruction: teach them how to edit and have them do it
OR Presentation instruction: how to make a presentation
OR Layout instruction: how to design a poster for easy reading/viewing
Writing: edit report, or edit captions for poster, or improve presentation
Typing day/ presentation practice day/ poster put-it-all-together day: you need extra time for this

• Like 4