Menu

Duct tape your children!

PeterPan

Well not quite.  Kinesio tape.  But seriously, the OT put this on ds today, and you cannot BELIEVE the change.  He did not hurt us for four hours.  He sat and ate dinner.  He hugged me when he left the house.  He just overall acted like the calm child I had seen another boy with similar labels being that I had never seen him be able to do.  He has always been sort of this wild, frenetic tiger.  Apply this stuff (cut in half and then lengthwise), up his back in two strips, and he's totally different, calm.  Unbelievable.  

We'll see if it stays this way, but for now I'm excited.  She said it can stay on in the bathtub, etc.  Like you literally just put it on and leave it till it falls off.

Maybe double tape for during speech therapy?   :lol:  :lol:

• Like 16

:party: Awesome!

Our old OT taught me a calming technique that involves rubbing down the back in a certain way. I remember her saying "this is very powerful; don't do it for more than three minutes." I haven't noticed a great effect on DS when we've tried that, but maybe the tape would help.

• Like 1

It's crazy how our body effects our mood. I recently have had some anxiety, in the past year or so. I am NOT anxious person, and it was honestly driving me a bit insane. I finally realized, it was from a spot in my back that was tight/out of alignment. It made me feel like I couldn't get a deep breath, which my body interpreted as anxiety. Popping that spot in my back made all the difference. Immediately. It's insane. 

• Like 2

The kinesio tape is useful for sprains too. I was going to literally duct tape my right loose ankle when I sprained it decades ago. Managed to hobble to the university's health service and get my ankle properly taped. 

The competition gymnasts at the gym we used to go to use kinesio tape too during trainings.

• Like 1

Well not quite.  Kinesio tape.  But seriously, the OT put this on ds today, and you cannot BELIEVE the change.  He did not hurt us for four hours.  He sat and ate dinner.  He hugged me when he left the house.  He just overall acted like the calm child I had seen another boy with similar labels being that I had never seen him be able to do.  He has always been sort of this wild, frenetic tiger.  Apply this stuff (cut in half and then lengthwise), up his back in two strips, and he's totally different, calm.  Unbelievable.  

We'll see if it stays this way, but for now I'm excited.  She said it can stay on in the bathtub, etc.  Like you literally just put it on and leave it till it falls off.

Maybe double tape for during speech therapy?   :lol:  :lol:

Anyway you can put up a diagram. For some reason I can't picture it. An OT did in for one dd many years ago and I can't remember how she did it. 

We've had a really long day and just got home a few minutes ago. Dd has been relaxing with me, reading this thread. She got very excited about the possibility of getting taped and asked me if she could do it. I have a PT friend. I wonder if he would let us borrow some tape. 

Tiramisu, go to http://www.rocktape.com/videos/back-neck/ and click the video that says general back.  That's pretty much what she did, except on him the piece was like 4 or 5 inches long, because he's small, lol.  She didn't want it on his spine.  I guess hitting the shoulder blade is normal, but she came kind of inbetween there, between the shoulder blade and the spine.  She cut the piece lengthwise, again because he's small, so the 2" wide tape got cut into 1" strips for him.

You could try Sports Authority or any store and just get some for cheap just to see if you like it.  You can pick up a roll for maybe $10 that way.  I ordered RockTape H2O for ds, because he's going to need something stronger and more waterproof with his swimming.  There's regular RockTape as well  http://www.amazon.com/Rocktape-Kinesiology-Tape-Athletes-Black/dp/B005SWSD68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441163995&sr=8-1&keywords=rocktape+h20

• Like 2

Nope, sigh.  I had heard of them.  I didn't realize something like that could be so wow on him.  We haven't been hurt at all today, a whole day of not being hurt.  And he hasn't been melting down either.  Even when he's frustrated, he's taking a minute to regroup.  Unbelievable.  

I ordered the RockTape Pro, so I'm hoping it comes sooner, rather than later.  Sometimes amazon is surprising.  If not, she can retape him tomorrow.  

• Like 6

My son really likes body socks. 

At school they have two things he likes:  a ball pit that is enclosed in a net/tarp that has a drawstring at the top, so he goes in through the draw string at the top and then is surrounded by balls.  They also have what they call a squeeze machine, which is a thing with foam padding that kids can go in and be squeezed between two layers of foam padding.  I have heard it is $$$ but they have got it in the resource room. (Looks like this one: https://funandfunction.com/squeezer.html?gclid=CIW0r-jv2McCFdUTHwodZYMMNA

Oh, they also have a huge swing that they can rig from a support beam in the cafeteria, when it is not being used.  They can swing huge 6th graders in it and it is available when the weather is bad.  It is more of a reward for my son, I think, like if he does a good job in class and gets a lot of stars then he might be able to choose to go on the swing.  He is more into the body sock type of things for actual sensory I think.  But it is hard to know.  If they want to do something with him at school and things are going good at school -- I am like "okay, keep doing what you are doing" for a lot of things.

I think for a lot of things you just have to try them and see!  And then tastes change, too.

Awesome that the tape is working so well right now! 

• Like 3

Lecka, that's what I'm working on today!  I finally got a spot figured out, and now I'm gathering things.  I was realizing that a lot of the ideas are small (sit and look quietly at this thing) and not so much the deep pressure.  I saw that squeeze machine, wow!  I've wanted to do a ball pit for years, lol.  Dh figured we'd get balls all over.  That drawstring at the top sounds fab.  

So yes, I'm pretty much trying to figure out how to do some things at home.  I had been on that site but not spent enough time.  I'll go through it better.  :)

• Like 1

Something my son used to LOVE -- we had small plastic tubs (or big diaper boxes) and he would get in, and then we would pack stuffed animals around him.  That used to be one of his favorite things, and it is easy, and we already have stuffed animals. 

For him when he was younger, it was also the kind of thing where you could build in a lot of interaction by deciding which stuffed animal would go in next, and how to arrange them. 

• Like 2

Oh, and I have not done this, but I have seen ideas for getting a larger tub, and putting dried beans and dry rice in it, and things like that, and just having it as a permatent large sensory tub. 

We have had little sensory tubs like this, where we can hide little toys inside and let my son find them, and it is a nice sensory activity, and fine motor, and can be social, too.  And then it can bulid interest in the toys and maybe make a play plan (or just discuss possibilities) with them during the time it took to take them out.  We just did that a little but it was nice when we did it. 

• Like 2

I'm really going to have to try that tape. DS has been having trouble sleeping, has been getting up in the middle of the night and getting into mischief, and is really hyper in the mornings before he has his meds. I've been at a loss as to how to deal with it. We, of course, are sleeping ourselves in the wee hours, and so we don't know that he is up and rumbling around until we find the evidence the next morning. Maybe taping his back will help him sleep better and be calmer before school.

Our OT recommended that we get him an under armour compression shirt that is slightly too small and have him wear it regularly. I haven't found one for him yet, but maybe it would have a similar effect as a vest or tape.

We do a lot of sensory play here, in the form of sensory bins, but I would not leave one with things like beans, rice, sand etc. accessible at all times. My youngest has this fascination with watching things fall. He is also into reenacting weather conditions and will use anything he can gain access to to simulate rain falling etc. I tried the rice and bean bin and was cleaning beans and rice from every nook and cranny of our schoolroom, on the bookcase, on top of books, you name it found its way in there. Not trying that again :lol: I can laugh about it now but I wasn't too impressed at the time ;)

We do a lot of sensory play here, in the form of sensory bins, but I would not leave one with things like beans, rice, sand etc. accessible at all times. My youngest has this fascination with watching things fall. He is also into reenacting weather conditions and will use anything he can gain access to to simulate rain falling etc. I tried the rice and bean bin and was cleaning beans and rice from every nook and cranny of our schoolroom, on the bookcase, on top of books, you name it found its way in there. Not trying that again :lol: I can laugh about it now but I wasn't too impressed at the time ;)

That's funny. 

We used to call my third dd the mud magnet. We couldn't keep her out of mud. Now that she's older she doesn't play in mud but she makes dough. More often it's for therapeutic reasons than for food. The dough making got so bad it was everywhere in the house, especially on door handles and faucets. We thought we'd cleaned it all but when we came back from a vacation and we still found it cemented on things. Still, that was a little easier to deal with than when she took out the hair dryer to do something with the dough while the bag of flour was still open on the counter next to it. 

• Like 2

Honestly that is why I never did a huge tub -- how could I carry it around?  How could I put a lid on it and "put it away?"  

With a (much) smaller tub, he could put his hands and arms in it, and then I could put the lid on it and put it away.   

• Like 1

We got a bin last night to put some things in, trying to make this sensory retreat.  He's been making his own, but this will make it a little less disruptive.  I told dd your tub idea, and she suggested we fill it with beanie babies.  We have a bunch of them as hand me downs, and they would have a bit of weight too.  And they don't roll away and make a mess.  :)

• Like 1

We filled an under the bed type of storage bin with moon sand when the girls were younger. It kept them busy for hours in the cold weather. They all got along when they were using it and brought in other toys to make it more exciting. I kept it in my kitchen for easy clean up. But, even so, dh finally got frustrated with it and put the bin in the backyard, where someone left the top off and it got rained on. I was not a happy mommy that day. But we got years of fun out of it while it lasted.

• Like 2

Wow - tape!  This thread is inspiring. OhElizabeth thanks for the link to the video. I didn't quite understand.   DS is big time sensory seeking - he bounces against a big exercise ball (and on it and over it) and has things to tap and fiddle with.  But I have never really explored other possibilities to help him get stimulation.  He doesn't like clothes, period. (We call him "Captain Underpants") So I've not tried the vest/tight shirt thing. But I wonder if that would be different....

I think this is fascinating.  I added some tape to my amazon order, LOL.  In one of the videos, maybe the sacral one, the guy mentions something about relieving some sort of "congestion."  What I wonder about is whether he meant some sort of congestion related to the nerves (I don't quite understand) or whether he meant something more of a vascular nature, like blood, or even better, lymph fluid.  From years ago, I vaguely recall an OT talking about the importance of keeping the lymph fluid moving (e.g. chewing crunchy things, hanging upside down).  While I never looked into why that matters, it makes sense to me now that I'm deep into reading about the immune system and its connection to the nervous system (e.g. it is now known that there really are lymph vessels going to the brain).  I'm still trying to wrap my wee brain around it all...

Eta, dh just got back from his trail run and I asked him if he knew about this tape.  So he reached into the bin on his desk and says, you mean this?  Doh.  His PT had given him the tape for plantar fasciitis treatment a while back. He's not sure it did anything for that though he thought the idea made sense.  He helped BIL run the Leadville 100 recently and apparently a lot of people had the tape on.  (Of course, he still mocked me.  "Yeah, that'll fix 'em"  LOL)

I'm still finding rice from the big rice tub we had several years ago. My husband rarely puts his foot down, but he was very firm on the no more rice bins rule. lol

• Like 2

Wapiti, it will be interesting to see how it goes when you tape them!  Today, the OT redid the tape, this time on his sides, going *down* instead of on his back pulling up.  Interesting.  He went shopping with me in a store, which is actually a huge and shocking deal.  He wasn't quite as wow calm/sedate as with it on his back, but we'll give it a bit and see.  I'm just saying, if you've never taken him in a store you don't know what an EXTREME displeasure it is.  Like impossible.  Like he gets fixated on something (his obsession thing) and wants it no matter what and punches and is disruptive the whole way.  Or I have to zone him with the phone.  Nope, he stood like a human, pushed the cart, petted fabrics, set a timer so we'd know when he was planning on leaving, the timer went off, we checked out, done.  No bloodshed or murder.  Seriously.

But let's give it time.  For now, I'm taping, lol.  We even wondered if by rotating spots or having time on, time off, we would ensure it didn't lose effectiveness.  Don't know.  He was really good in music therapy today too, just really talkative.  Talkative is fine, bolting is not.  It just seems to lower that intensity we get from him that results in bolting and all sorts of hard to deal with behaviors.  Usually by the time we get home from an outing he is so wigged out he bolts from the car and hides.  I've been petrified he would disappear and I wouldn't be able to find him in the woods around our house (he doesn't always answer).  Today, he just walked right into the house.

• Like 2

I'm still finding rice from the big rice tub we had several years ago. My husband rarely puts his foot down, but he was very firm on the no more rice bins rule. lol

I ended up buying them Kinetic Sand instead. I even love that stuff and my oldest has always loved playing with sand. I put that away when they are done. We had more space when we were overseas. My oldest had tons of sensory stuff indoors and outdoors. I feel so bad that I don't have the space to offer the same to my youngest! Oh well, he has a huge collection of animals and other hands on resources that he loves to get creative with. I also make him props and whatever else he wants for his reenacting.

That's funny.

We used to call my third dd the mud magnet. We couldn't keep her out of mud. Now that she's older she doesn't play in mud but she makes dough. More often it's for therapeutic reasons than for food. The dough making got so bad it was everywhere in the house, especially on door handles and faucets. We thought we'd cleaned it all but when we came back from a vacation and we still found it cemented on things. Still, that was a little easier to deal with than when she took out the hair dryer to do something with the dough while the bag of flour was still open on the counter next to it.

Oyi, I don't know which is worse, having to vacuum the rice from everywhere or having to scrape off dried dough! The flour messes are very common in here if I turn my back. Unfortunately, someone who shall remain nameless will try to blow into the bowls I am putting flour in while baking. Makes for lovely snow falling all over the counter top and floor :svengo:

I make New Year's a real treat though. They are allowed to make a streamer and confetti mess and go crazy in the living room for that one day :) Lots of giggles! They love it and for that one day I don't care how long it takes to clean it up. The happy faces in the pictures are priceless!

Eta, dh just got back from his trail run and I asked him if he knew about this tape.  So he reached into the bin on his desk and says, you mean this?  Doh.  His PT had given him the tape for plantar fasciitis treatment a while back. He's not sure it did anything for that though he thought the idea made sense.  He helped BIL run the Leadville 100 recently and apparently a lot of people had the tape on.

I have high arches on both feet and taping does help my loose right ankle which is prone to sprains due to high pronation.

I have high arches on both feet and taping does help my loose right ankle which is prone to sprains due to high pronation.

I also have high arches and a history of weak ankles. Fortunately, they've become a lot better with exercise. But dd has joint problems and especially weak ankles that keep her from exercising. How do you tape them?

I also have high arches and a history of weak ankles. Fortunately, they've become a lot better with exercise. But dd has joint problems and especially weak ankles that keep her from exercising. How do you tape them?

For preventive like a long hike, I would just do the common figure of  8 taping (green strips in link). If I am going to do sports, I do the anchors and stirrups (red and yellow in link) before the fig of 8. I have never done the whole works on that link. 

http://richwoodstrack.com/physiology/ankle_taping.html

Do you know any gymnastĂ¢â‚¬â€¹ or marathon runner?  It is very similar to how the ankle is taped for practice sessions.

WouldĂ¢â‚¬â€¹ your daughter be willing to swim or aqua aerobics? It is one of the safest exercise to do for people with joint problems. 

For preventive like a long hike, I would just do the common figure of  8 taping (green strips in link). If I am going to do sports, I do the anchors and stirrups (red and yellow in link) before the fig of 8. I have never done the whole works on that link. 

http://richwoodstrack.com/physiology/ankle_taping.html

Do you know any gymnastĂ¢â‚¬â€¹ or marathon runner?  It is very similar to how the ankle is taped for practice sessions.

WouldĂ¢â‚¬â€¹ your daughter be willing to swim or aqua aerobics? It is one of the safest exercise to do for people with joint problems. 

Thank you!

She did have some aquatherapy sessions and tries to get into the pool on campus as much as she can, which isn't more than once a week.

Well we tried it, and I can't say it calmed her down much (she was pretty hyper tonight) but she was in a good mood all afternoon, and said she likes how it feels. (I said it'll make her feel like she's being held, and now she's calling it hug-tape...) Maybe I didn't pull tight enough? I'll keep it there till it starts falling off, then try again and stretch a bit more.

I doubt you did it wrong.  It's really not aggressive or anything.  Poke one end down, stretch a sensible amount, mash down, and don't stretch the top bit.  

I put my ds in a tight-fitting compression shirt I found at Walmart, and he seemed to like that a lot too.  I might rotate them for variety.  After a few hours of that, he was way more chilled this evening and finally settled down and did some stuff for me.  The shirt was in the sports section.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Starter-Boys-Compression-Shorts/24548698

So every time I see this title I think about what my big sis told me when I was trying (trying...trying..) to potty train my DS - she said, "Just don't duct tape him to the toilet!"  I was like, whaaat?!  She was a social worker...yep...you guessed it....she had to have a talk and report and require parenting classes for a young mom who had duct taped her dc to a toilet to try to potty train....Her point was not actually to make fun of the young woman, but rather that it can get so frustrating and we can be so focused on the results that for one weird bad moment something like that might seem like  a good idea...but it's not...so don't do it...

Ok- way more to the point...my ds loves lots of compression-type activities, so now I have a whole new category (tape!) to investigate.  So thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

Kind of off-topic, but does anyone have suggestions/reviews for Space Explorers vs. Transformer Sensory Sacks body socks? I'm thinking DD would love these. Any other suggestions for a kid who is constantly stretching all over the floor...feet flipped over her head, and upside-down on the couch. I'm look for some kind of a balance board too. She has a Bilibo that she's constantly standing on the edges of. Looking for something safer and made more for balancing, rocking back-and-forth.

https://funandfunction.com/space-explorers-solid-print.html

https://funandfunction.com/transformer-sensory-sacktm.html

Kind of off-topic, but does anyone have suggestions/reviews for Space Explorers vs. Transformer Sensory Sacks body socks? I'm thinking DD would love these. Any other suggestions for a kid who is constantly stretching all over the floor...feet flipped over her head, and upside-down on the couch. I'm look for some kind of a balance board too. She has a Bilibo that she's constantly standing on the edges of. Looking for something safer and made more for balancing, rocking back-and-forth.

https://funandfunction.com/space-explorers-solid-print.html

https://funandfunction.com/transformer-sensory-sacktm.html

I would start with the sock, not the sack, and then if you want the sack order that as well.  OTs will have multiple things like that, but as parents we're usually just wanting one thing that works.  You can sack with a sock but can't sock with a sack.  

I ordered mine off eBay and it was fine.  If you're not liking the price on the sock on f&f, try eBay.  

PS.  Have you thought about gymnastics?  It's the bees' knees for my boy.  Unrestricted crashing in a safe environment.  Can't beat it, lol.

• Like 1

Pitter Patter, you might also look at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAH7C5O?colid=16TJBM6EZMVDY&coliid=I2BMW2ZI63O46R&redirect=true&ref_=s9_wish_co_d10_g86_i1 Not so much that you need to spend $70, ouch, but that it would give you a different category of thing while combining that sack feel you were liking.  And that way you could use it, not only to get the enclosed sac feeling, but also get in vestibular if you have a place to hang it.  Seems to me we ought to be able to make it ourselves, but I haven't plied my brain on it.  I had dh hang me a hook for hanging things.  If you can do it safely, it's a nice option to have.  I have a sky chair, but I think my ds would enjoy this as well.

• Like 1

This is DD's fourth year in gymnastics. However, girls gymnastics is more serious than the boys at our gym. (Our gym doesn't have a competitive boys team.) The boys always look like they're having so much fun. I think what they're doing is tumbling. I wish DD could do the things they do, as she's not serious about it. She wants to have fun and doesn't care a thing about competition.

I would start with the sock, not the sack, and then if you want the sack order that as well.  OTs will have multiple things like that, but as parents we're usually just wanting one thing that works.  You can sack with a sock but can't sock with a sack.  

I ordered mine off eBay and it was fine.  If you're not liking the price on the sock on f&f, try eBay.  

PS.  Have you thought about gymnastics?  It's the bees' knees for my boy.  Unrestricted crashing in a safe environment.  Can't beat it, lol.

Oh, yeah...she would love this. I have no idea where we would hang it, though. Even if we bit the bullet and drilled a hole for the hook, I don't think we would have space for it to dangle.

Pitter Patter, you might also look at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAH7C5O?colid=16TJBM6EZMVDY&coliid=I2BMW2ZI63O46R&redirect=true&ref_=s9_wish_co_d10_g86_i1 Not so much that you need to spend $70, ouch, but that it would give you a different category of thing while combining that sack feel you were liking.  And that way you could use it, not only to get the enclosed sac feeling, but also get in vestibular if you have a place to hang it.  Seems to me we ought to be able to make it ourselves, but I haven't plied my brain on it.  I had dh hang me a hook for hanging things.  If you can do it safely, it's a nice option to have.  I have a sky chair, but I think my ds would enjoy this as well.

This is DD's fourth year in gymnastics. However, girls gymnastics is more serious than the boys at our gym. (Our gym doesn't have a competitive boys team.) The boys always look like they're having so much fun. I think what they're doing is tumbling. I wish DD could do the things they do, as she's not serious about it. She wants to have fun and doesn't care a thing about competition.

Oh, yeah...she would love this. I have no idea where we would hang it, though. Even if we bit the bullet and drilled a hole for the hook, I don't think we would have space for it to dangle.

Our Y has a tumbling class for girls that is just fun, not toward competition.  They even have tumbling/cheer, which brings in rhythm, hehe...

Yeah, you can't just drill through drywall like it's a plant hook.  You have to go where you can put in reinforcements and really long bolts with the proper things at the end.  You'd need a handyman.   I don't know what dh did, but it took him a couple tries to get it right.  It's through a ton of boards with a really long bolt, in the trusses (we have a drop ceiling in the basement).  

• Like 1

Okay, so which one is a sock? I think I've decided to get DD one for Christmas. The one that I think looks more like a sock, is labeled a sack. When I type in Sensory Sox, which I guess is a brand, that one seems more like a sack to me. Hah!