Menu

What to expect from Neuropsychologist eval?

suenos

Mostly a lurker here...

DS 8 is ADHD, has sensory issues and...stuff. Really struggling to learn to read/write.  We are taking a break from it for now. 

Good insurance, thank goodness - so we have a neuropsychologist evaluation scheduled for next month.  Breaking it into two half day sessions. Crossing my fingers that DS can make it through and cooperate. 

Hoping to learn stuff, but not sure what to expect.  What should I expect of the exam process and/or the results? Any questions I should ask? I feel a bit blind on this, though I've read some threads on here and done some online searches. 

TIA for any thoughts/advice! 

• Like 1

Not all children have the same issues.  My DS does not overreact when he is stressed. He is not an anxious person and he was completely fine with the testing.  I have always requested that the testing be spaced out.  If your child is anxiety prone, I would plan on plenty of rewards when done.  For example, my DD likes her fingernails painted and likes to eat at a certain restaurant.  DS likes model airplanes.  Make it light and fun.  The testing is only for a short while and not all experiences are trauma filled but really depends upon the issues involved.

Honestly? I would expect IQ, achievement, motor planning, CTOPP (for the dyslexia), and screenings for ASD.  If you haven't bolstered yourself up for being handed those forms, that's one thing you could do.  (I find them very traumatic, even when you know it's coming.)  If you haven't made lists of things that you're dealing with (in ALL categories), then that's what I would do.  They'll doubtless do an EF survey for the ADHD.

Have you had other evals like OT, developmental optometrist, speech, etc.?  Since you have the SPD label, you've probably done OT.  You can take their report and he can compile it into his report.  Actually he take reports from any evals you've done.  Our np did really detailed language testing, like the CELF5, on ds, which gave me stuff I STILL am figuring out how to apply a year later.  

Welcome to the boards, and I'm glad you're out of lurking!  I know the other poster's dc is having a hard time, but my dc have been, between them, to *4* psychs and they've always been fine with it.  You're likely to be fine.  I think you'll find that any reactions are more intrinsic to the dc than anything.  Now I'm cool with lambasting the psych afterward, if that makes the dc feel better, simply because it really is necessary for them to come out whole and they really don't have the maturity to interpret this properly.  But in general, it's usually a fun process for kids.  Don't be unnecessarily worried about it.  Most kids are fine with it.  One psych we used had arcade games and free pop for the kids.  Seriously.

Thanks, y'all.  I will try to find the right balance between relaxed and prepared. LOL.  DS is actually anxiety prone.  My biggest fear, I guess, is a meltdown and/or refusal if he starts thinking he's getting stuff "wrong".  I have broken it up into two days - but now I'm wondering if I'll manage to get him there for the second day.  But I am going to think positive and plan for some treats attached to it. He does love games and play acting and stuff, so if it is as kid friendly as they tried to reassure me it would be, it could go just fine.

DH is planning on taking off the first day - which will be a treat for DS in itself. DH is also often better, tbh, at staying calm and making difficult things easier/more fun than I am!  DS is old enough, and we have had some talks about his struggle to learn to read, so I am also going to do some thinking about what might be helpful to share with him about the testing.  

I am thinking about making another call, though, and finding out what tests they plan to do - DS has had a diagnosis for ADHD and been thoroughly evaluated for autism (no), so while it might be interesting to get another take, I also don't want to "waste" the time on stuff we know? IDK.  

Thanks again for the encouragement and support!  

Send his previous reports and evals to the psych ahead of time.  They'll do detailed language testing.  Some of it they shift on the fly, depending on what they see happening.  That way they're responsive and going in the direction the results are showing.  

How fun that your dh will be there for part of it!  You could even make it guy time and just have them go.  Your dh won't stay obviously, but he could go kill the time and go back.  Meanwhile you could have a nice time with girlfriends or get your hair and nails done or something.  It can be really nerve wracking, so do something to keep your mind busy.  :)