Menu

Has anyone else done any Christmas shopping??

StaceyinLA

Ummm...I only need one more gift for each of our kids (the big Santa one). I know what it will be, but am waiting for a sale to buy it. Everything else has come from thrift stores/secondhand. That's how we roll around here.

Also, we try to stick to only 3 or 4 gifts per kiddo. That's one from mom and dad, one from siblings, one from Santa. Oh, they also all get books. Sometimes DH and I or Santa will also give a gift to all of the kids. This is our current strategy to help keep the number of things around here down.

• Like 1

I bought two things for my MIL because she is so hard to buy for.  I am always on the look-out for gifts for her, and when I see something that seems good, I get it.  I'm also already telling my husband to start thinking about gifts for his dad, because he is even worse than his mom as far as stuff to get.   But he'll wait till the last minute.  I'm not sure how I came to be in charge of his mom's gifts!  Now that my daughter is older she helps me so it's getting a little easier.

Now is the time I start to keep my eyes open for likely things for people.  My daughter and I were at an art exhibit the other day and I saw a figurine I know she would like. I'm not ready to buy it but keeping it in mind. 

Those of you who buy super early: do your kids not ask for a certain gift?  I could buy a book or something for my grands, but when holiday time comes around, I usually ask their parents what the kids are into or what they need.   How do you choose so far ahead?

Shopping for the extended family is the bigger hassle so getting that done early is nice especially since we delivered the gifts when we visited in June rather than having to ship them later. My older boys usually just want one big gift that we order sometime in December and my youngest has a birthday in December so I usually worry about his gifts for both holidays at the same time in early December.  If I bought more things for them, then I'd want to start earlier, but it's not too bad to just have to order a few things in December.

I always think that I should be looking for stocking stuff through the year though.  I've never managed that.

• Like 1

Those of you who buy super early: do your kids not ask for a certain gift?  I could buy a book or something for my grands, but when holiday time comes around, I usually ask their parents what the kids are into or what they need.   How do you choose so far ahead?

1. We have milestone gifts.  When a child reaches a certain age they get a special gift for Christmas and birthday.  We also have routine gifts, like a book or a book set.  I look to see what's coming out in the current year to see if it's something my kids would enjoy.  And we often have add-on gifts, like Legos, because we like to keep the number of toys down.

2. The gift my children ask for is their Santa gift. :)  We stress that gifts are given because it something the purchaser/creator thought they would enjoy and get use out of, and should be appreciated for that reason.  My oldest never bothers to ask for anything and I finally asked why, and he said anything on his personal list is usually not as good as what we'd pick out, anyway. LOL  The youngest doesn't watch commercials or know what's out there beyond the little toy shops we have here, so surprising him is fun. Santa is different, though.  Santa is unconditional giving, a way to give the heart's desire.  He gets the one gift that a child really asks for.

That said, for family and friends that ask we do put together a list of interests and gift ideas.  It's easier on them since they don't live with the kids and don't see them every day.

• Like 1

In my family culture it is considered rude to ask what people want, since a big part of buying a gift is knowing the person and finding something you think they would like. My husbands family, on the other hand, does yearly wishlists so i never bought their presents ahead of time, it was an adjustment. 

I would usually be halfway through buying gifts by now but I'm running late this year due to some massive tax issues that needed sorting before there was any discretionary money. I honestly feel behind the 8-ball and panicked, i usually like to have the majority of the gifts purchased by mid-october at the latest. I'm very intentional about what I buy for the kids, i research and plan, so I already have a fair idea of what I'll be getting, and we already have the family secret santa gifts worked out.

• Like 1

My kids make birthday lists.  This also becomes the Christmas list.  :)

• Like 1

Well I don't buy early for everyone, but the grandkids are still fairly easy, and I have picked up quite a few items for them. I bought Yeti coozies for my sons-in-law, son, and dh. I had planned to purchase them closer to Christmas, but they were becoming hard to locate, so when I saw them locally, I snatched them up.

I usually make a "family basket" for the married couples and their kids instead of stockings for each. I love to buy little goodies here and there, but don't want to spend enough to fill everyone a stocking, so I do this instead. Everyone can get a few little things and I can throw in a Disney movie or something for them all. Then the married adults each get a gift or two, or each something small then a joint gift.

My unmarried adult kids still get stockings and several gifts each.

The grandkids have gotten an obscene amount the last few years, but now I've gotten a grip on myself and I've gotten quite a few more grandkids, so I'm having to rein that in this year. ;-p

I am also eliminating extended family purchases for this year. I was still buying for great nieces and nephews last year, but it's just too difficult with the number of them, and my own growing family to keep doing that.

ETA - as I was typing this I got my shipment notification from American Girl that my Bitty Baby items have shipped! More Christmas stash!!

Well, our kids are 5, 3, and 2. They say they want things all the time. I respond with a generic "we'll put it on your birthday/Christmas list." I also say that just because something is on the list doesn't mean you will get it.

The giver gives a gift that they think you will like/use/enjoy. So far my kids have generally gotten universally liked things (Legos, books, blocks, tricycles, etc...). As they get older and develop more individual interests, I am sure I will need to wait to buy more.

But yeah, I am done with stocking stuffers (well, not that candy) and most gifts for our kids. Extended family is a different ballgame. Part of my wanting our stuff out the way is that I never know who/what I need to buy for until a couple weeks before Christmas.

I hate that. I hate everything about it. I hate feeling rushed. I hate stores at that time of year. I have even been known to say "sorry, not giving this year because I won't add that stress at the last minute. Get your act together and decide what the family is doing earlier if you want my participation."

• Like 2

I'm done shopping for nieces and nephews. I've been done that since April. I have a few small toys for my kids and stocking stuffers. Their big gift is quite expensive this year so I've been searching allnyear for a deal. No such luck. I haven't even thought of dh or my fil and mil. But those are the last people to shop for so I'll likely be done before thanksgiving

No!

A huge majority of our family of 19 ( will be 22 by this time next year) have birthdays from August thru December with the rest having birthdays in January and early February. Hence I do all my shopping in the fall. I often start in August. Too much going on this year and I am going to panic at some point!

I have been sewing all birthday gifts for the grands in years past . Nothing planned for this year.

Only for Operation Christmas Child boxes.  We pick up school supply deals at this time of year for the boxes.  

We have 3 birthdays before now and Christmas.  They have no idea what gift they want for their birthday, let alone Christmas LOL 

No shopping done yet, though I have knit a couple gifts--socks for dh and ds1. My boys are older so we usually wait to see what they need before we buy anything. Dd is 10yo and wants everything. Plus her b-day is weeks before Xmas. She likes to make a b-day wish list so we use that to figure out gifts for both occasions. Dh has mentioned a music cd he wants. Guess I better order that soon since it comes from UK. That's the extend of my gift shopping so far.

I have my dd's shopping finished. She loves clothes so I picked up stuff on clearance at the beginning of the year. Unfortunately, she hasn't grown much, so while all her new clothes should fit her so should everything else still in her closet!

My ds wants money and a Mental Floss magazine renewal. I picked up a couple of small things so he's all set.

We give my parents a much wanted photo calendar each Christmas and the in-laws a DVD of our year along with Kindle books, so not much planning involved there. :)

I think the following Christmas, we'll plan to a trip and see a Broadway touring show.

I'm thinking of Christmas shopping at the end of the month when we have the money, instead of last minute like every other year.  I don't shop for family because no one wants to buy for ALL of my kids, so it's pretty simple.  My kids aren't going to change their want lists in the next few months, so I'm confident on what I have planned.

I started on the nieces and nephews.. I have a few stocking stuffers stowed away too. 

We have Santa here for another year or two at least and each of kids get to ask him for one thing.

DD said a full drum set and DS is leaning toward a Playmobil castle. 

We gift them each a book, an outfit too.

We have a lot of fall birthdays so I have been trying to do that as well - 3 nieces (they each get an outfit or book) and my DS all have birthdays before Christmas and we will be buying a house by the end of the year.... so yeah.

I have this year.  We are 3k miles from family, so I have to ship things.  And since all the parents don't need squat or won't tell me anything meaningful, I opted for the touristy type gift.  Almost everyone is getting a coffee mug that has image or words of our nearby large city.  I then found some amazing jam on vacation for the food people.  I still need something for my mom, but may opt to do pottery with the kiddos for her.  So yes, I am almost done shopping.  Which means I need to keep an eye out for next year!!!  I hate sending gift cards only to receive gift cards in return.  At that point why gift each other?

Yes! 

I shop all year round.  I have two big boxes in my attic that I try to keep stocked with gifts that I have found on clearance or sale.  This way I am always ready for birthdays, Christmas or other occasions that call for gifts.  The boxes mostly have kid stuff but if I find adult things I will add them in.  At Christmas time I make an inventory of what is in the boxes and match them with people. 

As for how do I know what they want, dd loves Playmobile, Calico critters, Barbies and small toy animals.  That gives me a pretty good range.  Ds loves books, Legos, Magnaformers and anything Disney jr.   I look for gifts that match their interest.  Klutz has a book out on how to make things with Legos so I added that to my stash.  If there are toys in the box that I don't think will be loved by my kids then I donate them to Toys for Tots.  Its a win either way. 

• Like 3

I'm about 85% done.  The people whose gift I haven't actually purchased yet I at least know what they are getting.  Nothing is wrapped yet though.  My goal for that is the end of September.  At the minimum the end of October.  I like to have Christmas shopping out of the way because December gets super busy and I do NaNoWriMo in November.

We don't do Santa here so everyone knows that I'm the one buying the presents.  A few years ago when DD was still a little kid I thought it would be fun if she made a Christmas list and asked her to make one.  She replied, "No thanks. You'll just buy me what I like anyway."  She's a practical kid!  :)

Around August 1st we started getting a lot of amazon boxes and she made a comment that nobody should open any boxes arriving at the house except for me.  Wink.  Elf business.  

• Like 1

I've thought about it but I have no ideas for gifts. Last year was an okay year. I had a couple of gifts per kids that they really liked and a couple that were likely misses but were so insignificant it didn't matter. My kids are hard to buy for because there is generally nothing they want. Dd17 may come up with an idea but ds19 just tells me to surprise him. I just asked dd17 if she had an idea and she laughed at me. Ah well. I'll be paying attention to all of the Christmas threads that will pop up in October and November and maybe find some gifts ideas in those.

I have this year.  We are 3k miles from family, so I have to ship things.  And since all the parents don't need squat or won't tell me anything meaningful, I opted for the touristy type gift.

I've started just giving consumables to my parents.  My father loves getting his package of goodies (chocolate, chips, licorice, etc.)  I try to get some "gourmet" goodies in the mix. 

My mother's birthday is soon and I got her yarn/wool and a sock knitting book, because she mentioned starting knitting socks again.  I would love to find a great online store (Canadian based) to purchase yarn at Christmas--it can be expensive and I'm not so knowledgeable on what to buy. 

I've even tried gifting cleaning supplies like Laundry Tarts detergent that smells like bubble gum....not sure how well that went over...I know I would enjoy it! 

I have adult kids similar ages to yours.  I ask them, and have put them on notice to start thinking about it because I'd like to get started.  (I'm inclined to get a difficult to find item for one - I want time to search.).  I've started asking them. we don't generally do superfluous gifts. I've always ended up regretting such things.  they were trained growing up - they weren't going to get everything they asked for, and eventually learned to think about what they wanted/needed.

I also really pay attention to their interests- and if there isn't something they "want" per se, I'll usually get them something pertinent to those interests.

dudeling will ask for stuff all. the. time. - we put it on the list 'for ideas', if something/similar shows up on that list over and over, I pay attention.    this year, there is something 'big' he really wants (the first time seems to be the case).  

• Like 1