Menu

Filters etc to use with kids

We have one computer we all share.

We've never had any problems with anyone using the computer for anything inappropriate. My boys are only 10 and it's not been a problem, partly because they are well supervised and are compliant children. My older son never had much computer access, and is grown now.

But I am thinking I should go ahead and get some kind of filter or something on the computer because they are getting older and I know that becomes an issue with boys. I don't want them to feel like they hit puberty and I stopped trusting them. I want to get one now before they really think about it or notice, so that later when it's more of an issue, it will have just always been there.

Also, I want something that will keep bad sites from coming up in lists when they google. They are starting to google more, and I don't want them to even see some of the names of websites that are out there. I'm particularly remembering when my older son was 12 and we googled "Greek Gods" together:) Yeah.

Anyway, what do you all use? What do you like that is easy for someone totally horrible at computer stuff, and that isn't really intrusive. I don't want a filter that won't allow me to research medical questions, for example.

Dana

I really like K9 Internet Filter. It blocks everything I ask it to block. And, if for some reason we need to access a previously blocked site, I can choose to allow it for 15 minutes. (I do this with Myspace because my oldest likes it waaay too much and would spend all her time there if I allowed her to. By keeping it filtered, I can allow her on for 15 minute increments, but no longer.)

It's easy, it's effective, and it's free.

HTH!:001_smile: