Menu

History-lite?: after the 4yr rotation

We were going to do Winterpromise Sea and Sky as a one year condensed history in-between our 4 year history cycles. Here is the problem: My kids are begging to do coop. Coop classes include science. Since WP is a unit study, it is best to keep as a unit study. I explained to ds that it would be like pizza without the cheese. That leaves me with everyone doing science individually for coop plus science for this unit study. That's 3 diff sciences plus WP science, individual IEW for everyone, plus the class *I* have to teach at coop, AWANA once a week, and piano lessons. Also, older will be starting therapies in January. Phew!  Talked to dh today and he says drop WP because our middle ds is never excited about doing anything. The fact that he is almost in tears about not doing coop is pretty significant. So, mom's lovely, well thought grand plan has to wait and stare a me from the shelf.  I am actively convincing my perfectionist auditory sequential self that this is not a big deal.

So what do I use now? I want to keep it light so that it's not a big deal if we don't get to it some days. I would love to incorporate some good read aloud literature.  Any suggestions?

I don't know how old your kids are (which makes it hard to suggest any literature), but would suggest what your DH said to drop WP makes sense. Maybe nothing else has to replace it.  Or let the kids learn what other kids at coop are reading and read those same things.

I don't know how old your kids are (which makes it hard to suggest any literature), but would suggest what your DH said to drop WP makes sense. Maybe nothing else has to replace it.  Or let the kids learn what other kids at coop are reading and read those same things.

Thanks, yes this makes sense. My boys are 15(ASD), 12, and 9. I thought about maybe going heavy on literature as in read alouds. We are usually reading literature for history from a boxed curriculum and I've often wished it was summer so we could read whatever struck our fancy for the pleasure of it only. I guess this might be a good chance to do just that. Flowing their rabbit trails is tempting.

I've done that particular WP program - the science is light at best - not sure that I'd drop it - just don't go overboard when it comes to the science stuff.  Focus on the ships, geography, the history and the read alouds.  I'm trying to remember the science and itjust doesn't come to mind other than weather forecasting.

I've done that particular WP program - the science is light at best - not sure that I'd drop it - just don't go overboard when it comes to the science stuff.  Focus on the ships, geography, the history and the read alouds.  I'm trying to remember the science and itjust doesn't come to mind other than weather forecasting.

Hey thanks! I does kind of hurt to drop it altogether . I think I will drop the older learner guide though.

• Like 1

Oh mercy, I'd drop the WP in a heartbeat.  There is no magic to anything I've ever gotten from them.  You could pick 1, 2, or 3 things from the set, do just those, and have had just as much fun as if you had done the whole thing.  

Personally, I'm keen on the K12 history texts these days.  They're cheap, nicely written, not terrible.  I'd say get something on audio, but I'm not sure what he'd want.  Does he like audio?  If you got him a couple TC courses from Audible (for the price of a credit, $12) and let him listen to them while doing his taking apart engines, would that work well for him?  He might like Churchill or a series on wars or something he's particularly interested in.

TC=Teaching Company

Here's a link to get you started.  They're also called Great Courses, and they can be either with video or just audio.  Your library may also have them.  Here's the list at audible, so you can get them with a credit.  http://www.audible.com/search/ref=a_hp_tseft?advsearchKeywords=great+courses&filterby=field-keywords&x=0&y=0

TC=Teaching Company

Here's a link to get you started.  They're also called Great Courses, and they can be either with video or just audio.  Your library may also have them.  Here's the list at audible, so you can get them with a credit.  http://www.audible.com/search/ref=a_hp_tseft?advsearchKeywords=great+courses&filterby=field-keywords&x=0&y=0

thanks! :)